Homemade Firelighters

BlueStringPudding

Featured Posts

Dirty white spirit and a oily rag. Sorted.

Or if where on onfire scale, 12inch square box full of saw dust, 50 50 with wood shavings, and soak in diesal.

- That makes you your 'core' then back round with dry timber, keeping the density of planks good, and building out till perfect cone at 8foot diameter and 20ft hight.

dscf0018jw1.jpg dscf0025zi2.jpg

The time stamp diffence between the two shots is 2minutes, and that was in the rain!

Daniel

:argue::angry::P

We too have diesel-powered central heating, as you know, (as does everyone else know too from my rantings on other threads!) but since having the stove installed we've not needed to use it. Something we're all too happy about, what with diesel leaks, it cutting out, filling the boat with fumes... :D:D

Plus it scares the jee-willakers out of us!

Bet it costs you a packet more than burning coal or coke since the increase in diesel prices (that is a type of fuel for anyone who any other ideas or witticisms, I'm beginning to get to know this forum, we are talking strictly solid fuel here ok :-)

D

• Happy 1

Dirty white spirit and a oily rag. Sorted.

Or if where on onfire scale, 12inch square box full of saw dust, 50 50 with wood shavings, and soak in diesal.

- That makes you your 'core' then back round with dry timber, keeping the density of planks good, and building out till perfect cone at 8foot diameter and 20ft hight.

dscf0018jw1.jpg dscf0025zi2.jpg

The time stamp diffence between the two shots is 2minutes, and that was in the rain!

Daniel

Not sure if that would fit in my Boatman stove, Daniel! I'll try it tonight, and you'll probably see my chimney hurtling 30,000 feet into the air from where you're moored.

:rolleyes:

Not sure if that would fit in my Boatman stove, Daniel! I'll try it tonight, and you'll probably see my chimney hurtling 30,000 feet into the air from where you're moored.

:rolleyes:

It reminds me of the time, just after swmbo moved onto the boat. I came home and saw the chimney stack glowing, with a 3' flame jet roaring out the top. When I got on the boat the torgem was glowing red hot and the coals inside were white. I quickly, and assertively, demonstrated the principals of damping and order was restored.

She spent the rest of the winter wearing my tank suit, moaning that it was freezing (and now we're in a centrally heated house she's still cold!).

She spent the rest of the winter wearing my tank suit, moaning that it was freezing (and now we're in a centrally heated house she's still cold!).

I remember Jeff Green used to do a stand up routine about women and central heating. Apparently the ploy of saying we're cold is exactly that - just a ploy. It's so we can turn the thermostat up high enough to make the place sooo hot that it keeps our men weak!

So when a feller thinks to himself "I might go down the pub for a pint with the lads and a game of darts" the thermostat goes up, he swelters and collapses back into the chair, and really can't muster the energy to go.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:<_<

I had a friend who kept a large coffee jar filled with charcoal and meths, he just used a few lumps to light his barbecue with it. Worked every time. Might be worth a try.

Brian

doesn't the charcoal affect the flavour? Or, does he keep his 'sipping meths' in another container?

Edited by carlt

I can't believe people spend thousands on a boat and then want to save pennies by making their own firelighters!!!

Chris

Agreed. Its a nasty habit of the poor trying to keep up with rich people like myself.

I have been in touch with Harrods they will be stocking their own very fine brand of superior fire lighters which will be about £10 each. I will probably have a bespoke receptacle made to match my boats interior to store them.

M Winner

Agreed. Its a nasty habit of the poor trying to keep up with rich people like myself.

I have been in touch with Harrods they will be stocking their own very fine brand of superior fire lighters which will be about £10 each. I will probably have a bespoke receptacle made to match my boats interior to store them.

M Winner

:blink:<_<:)

I can't believe people spend thousands on a boat and then want to save pennies by making their own firelighters!!!

Chris

The boat wasn't bought as a luxury item - it's a home and a lifestyle choice. Part of that choice for me is making things - I don't want to always be reliant on processed chemically mass-made products that are put on the shelves in front of us to save us having to think or try or create. :blink:

I make my own cosmetics, I make gifts for people, I paint, I sew and I even make my own firelighters! And you know what, it's fun, and it works well and I know what's in it! That makes me content.

I like lasagne. But Kev's Mum's homemade lasagne is sooooo nice, I wouldn't go up to her and suggest she buy pre-made lasagne from Somerfield because it's easier, nor because it would save her hours of work. It's a nice thing because she makes it herself and puts in the time to do it. She's recently spent thousands on a nice new Mini, and I wouldn't question her decision to do that and still make her own lasagne! <_<

:)

The boat wasn't bought as a luxury item - it's a home and a lifestyle choice. Part of that choice for me is making things - I don't want to always be reliant on processed chemically mass-made products that are put on the shelves in front of us to save us having to think or try or create. :blink:

I make my own cosmetics, I make gifts for people, I paint, I sew and I even make my own firelighters! And you know what, it's fun, and it works well and I know what's in it! That makes me content.

I like lasagne. But Kev's Mum's homemade lasagne is sooooo nice, I wouldn't go up to her and suggest she buy pre-made lasagne from Somerfield because it's easier, nor because it would save her hours of work. It's a nice thing because she makes it herself and puts in the time to do it. She's recently spent thousands on a nice new Mini, and I wouldn't question her decision to do that and still make her own lasagne! <_<

Don't be so sensitive BSP!! We should all take pleasure in making things for the sheer enjoyment, and sense of achievement in doing it, even if it might sometimes not be the cheapest option. I also appreciate that what we might choose to make may not ring everyone's bell! My beef is when the only criteria is perceived value of saving a few pence, which IMHO exhibits a meanness I find distatsteful.

These folk are the ones who allways seem to know the price of everything and the value of nothing - A very recent example was the boater bragging in the pub last Saturday that he told the boat diesel seller he was a few pence a litre more expensive than the chandlers so he wouldn't be buying from him. I'll bet this guy is also the type to pat himself on the back when he drives a round 15 mile trip to save 2p a litre when he puts £10 of fuel in his car.

I make my fire lighters out of sulphur, coal and saltpeter. Never fails to light (up the sky)

That brings back memories from my childhood. My pal used to get the Flowers of Sulphur from one chemist, and i'd go to another for the Saltpetre - otherwise they'd know what we were up to :blink:

• 11 years later...

I just ran out of firelighters,  I used the box plus an egg carton with some cooking oil. Fired up nicely then died. I think the answer is to keep a stock of small kindling under the sink with the firelighters.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, tree monkey said:

2007!

Kev!

@BlueStringPudding

To be fair, he is still alive. And I did have a life before monkeys ??

49 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

This thread is so old that Woolworths has gone out, most of the people have gone out, Kevs mums lasagne has gone cold and her new mini is now a classic car! 

If it's the same piece of lasagne I could probably use it as a fire lighter by now. ?

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

So whilst in Tesco’s filling station, one morning, this week I grabbed a box of 24 Homefire lighters.  Knew I’d pay a bit over the odds, but had run out that morning.  When I got home in the evening I took a look at my receipt and was shocked to see I’d paid a fiver for them.  Luckily the wife had grabbed a box from the marina (and was spitting because she’d paid a quid for hers)!  Took them back today and told the customer service assistant why, which prompted the reply “we’ve got a special on Zip at the moment, you can get 3 boxes of 30 for a fiver”.  No hint of irony in her voice!  Bring on the egg boxes... 

On 02/11/2007 at 10:43, BlueStringPudding said:

These work out as costing around 2p - 3p

And the cost of the gas to heat the hob?

Edited by The Dreamer