Homemade Firelighters

BlueStringPudding

Featured Posts

I've started making our own firelighters at home, as cheap bought firelighters don't seem to work unless you use a whole packet, and the good quality ones are quite pricey. I prefer the wax and wood ones to the smelly kerosene ones anyway, and those can be pricier still. :lol:

So I have combined a couple of recipes from various websites, till I found one that works well. If anyone would like to try it out, here it is:

You need:

• A pack of cheapo candles (I use Woolworths Tealights (100 for about £1.29)) or old wax candle stubs
  • Sawdust (if you don't have any, softwood animal bedding is cheap and works well - I use Morrisions animal bedding - 69p for enough to make about 300 firelighters!!!)
  • An empty cardboard eggbox

1. Heat up a small pan of water
  2. Remove the metal cases and wicks from your tealights (one and a half tealights makes one good-sized firelighter) If you're using wax candle stubs, remove any bits of metal from the bottom of the wick, but you can leave the rest of the wick in it if it's easier.
  3. Put your candles into a bowl and place the bowl on the pan of water (to create a bain-marie) - melt the candle wax. No need for it to be too hot, you don't want to start a fire yet!
  4. Remove the bowl from the pan once the candles are fully melted, and stir in a tablespoon full of sawdust till it's completely soaked in the wax.
  5. Keep adding spoonfuls of sawdust and stirring it in well until all the wax has been soaked up and the mixture can be formed into balls.
  6. Take a spoonful of the mixture and press it deep into one of the eggbox cups. Keep adding the mixture and pressing it in tightly until the cup is full.
  7. Repeat with all six eggbox cups then leave to set.
  8. Once set, using a pair of scissors cut around each eggbox cup to separate the firelighters - but don't remove them from the individual cardboard cups.

Two firelighters is plenty to get our coal stove going quickly. Place them on top of a small layer of coal with a few pieces of coal and kindling on top. Light the carboard eggcup and that's it! Your firelighter should burn for 10-15 minutes. :) We've found that just one firelighter is enough for a log fire.

These work out as costing around 2p - 3p each (less if you use old candle stubs and sawdust from your own DIY shenanegans) whereas Zip firelighters are about 7p each and their nice wood/wax ones are around 9p each; depending on where you buy them.

• Greenie 1

Iiiiiiintersting. Always one to try and save a few quid I might give this a go. I've got some massive bags of tlights and I'm sure i can make some saw dust. I do find I only need a bout 2 small chunks of firelighters and some kindling. But I am starting to run out untill I smash up another pallet. Does sound like a super excuse to make some horrible smells and a fire hazard :lol:

Pleased to see you've not lost your sense of humour Carl :lol: .......wish I could be so un-bothered.

Surely there's some bonfires there soon ...... requiring quys looking like

Boy aged 14-16, average height, either skinhead or long black hair.

They obviously like fires, so should be eminently suitable.

Edited by Supermalc

Wilkos 45p a box and do the job no probs.

That's still 3.2p each! There's pennies to be saved, you know! :)

I'm not all that fussed about the price of firelighters, to be honest, but I certainly found that the cheap ones we've bought near us burn out so quickly, or take 3 or 4 matches to light in the first place, or you need four or five of the things to get the fire going, that there's no saving at all.

Plus our homemade ones smell nice! :lol:

I've started making our own firelighters at home, as cheap bought firelighters don't seem to work unless you use a whole packet, and the good quality ones are quite pricey. I prefer the wax and wood ones to the smelly kerosene ones anyway, and those can be pricier still. :lol:

So I have combined a couple of recipes from various websites, till I found one that works well. If anyone would like to try it out, here it is:

You need:

• A pack of cheapo candles (I use Woolworths Tealights (100 for about £1.29)) or old wax candle stubs
  • Sawdust (if you don't have any, softwood animal bedding is cheap and works well - I use Morrisions animal bedding - 69p for enough to make about 300 firelighters!!!)
  • An empty cardboard eggbox

1. Heat up a small pan of water
  2. Remove the metal cases and wicks from your tealights (one and a half tealights makes one good-sized firelighter) If you're using wax candle stubs, remove any bits of metal from the bottom of the wick, but you can leave the rest of the wick in it if it's easier.
  3. Put your candles into a bowl and place the bowl on the pan of water (to create a bain-marie) - melt the candle wax. No need for it to be too hot, you don't want to start a fire yet!
  4. Remove the bowl from the pan once the candles are fully melted, and stir in a tablespoon full of sawdust till it's completely soaked in the wax.
  5. Keep adding spoonfuls of sawdust and stirring it in well until all the wax has been soaked up and the mixture can be formed into balls.
  6. Take a spoonful of the mixture and press it deep into one of the eggbox cups. Keep adding the mixture and pressing it in tightly until the cup is full.
  7. Repeat with all six eggbox cups then leave to set.
  8. Once set, using a pair of scissors cut around each eggbox cup to separate the firelighters - but don't remove them from the individual cardboard cups.

Two firelighters is plenty to get our coal stove going quickly. Place them on top of a small layer of coal with a few pieces of coal and kindling on top. Light the carboard eggcup and that's it! Your firelighter should burn for 10-15 minutes. :) We've found that just one firelighter is enough for a log fire.

These work out as costing around 2p - 3p each (less if you use old candle stubs and sawdust from your own DIY shenanegans) whereas Zip firelighters are about 7p each and their nice wood/wax ones are around 9p each; depending on where you buy them.

What gas mark do you cook them on for? and is it served up with a side salad? :)

teehee

I can't believe people spend thousands on a boat and then want to save pennies by making their own firelighters!!!

I use "Zip Original" firelighters, they cost about £1.70 for 24 huge firelighters and I find I only need a piece about the size of 2 dice and a small amount of dry (bought!!) kindling to light the coals in the stove EVERY time without fail. The packet lasts for ages.

I think some people need to read Michael Porter's "Comparative Advantage"

Chris

Edited by chris w

I can't believe people spend thousands on a boat and then want to save pennies by making their own firelighters!!!

I use "Zip Original" firelighters, they cost about £1.70 for 24 huge firelighters and I find I only need a piece about the size of 2 dice and a small amount of dry (bought!!) kindling to light the coals in the stove EVERY time without fail. The packet lasts for ages.

I think some people need to read Michael Porter's "Comparative Advantage"

Chris

I suppose if your stuck on a boat with nothing to do all day long it helps make the day pass quicker !

Hi,

I used to make firelighters by rolling up some old cotton/denim and dipping in paraffin.

A roll a bit bigger than a chocolate 'miniroll' was enough to get Homefire and Phurnacite going, with no need for kindling.

cheers,

Pete.

Edited by smileypete

Hi,

I used to make firelighters by rolling up some old cotton/denim and dipping in paraffin.

A roll a bit bigger than a chocolate 'miniroll' was enough to get Homefire and Phurnacite going, with no need for kindling.

cheers,

Pete.

Put kindling in , coal on top.

Then fire up the blowtorch

Efficient, never fails to light the fire

No Mess.No flaffing about, Warm boat !

Job sorted

You lot are so mean (but then I'm sure BSP can take the heat).

I use the ones wrapped, I think Zip, 24 for about £1.20. One does our stove, with a bit of kindling, coal on top of that. They are eaiser to light and stay lit long enough to get everything else burning nicely.

Still, it's useful to know boys, you never know when you might need them (and we could be talking survival here!).

You lot are so mean (but then I'm sure BSP can take the heat).

I use the ones wrapped, I think Zip, 24 for about £1.20. One does our stove, with a bit of kindling, coal on top of that. They are eaiser to light and stay lit long enough to get everything else burning nicely.

Still, it's useful to know boys, you never know when you might need them (and we could be talking survival here!).

Must hav bin what they used on Carls boat. :lol: Sorry mate cudnt resist that one.

Some of you lot never cease to amaze, you mess about making your own firelighters using all manner of stinking ingredients, then you go out and pay the best part of £100 for a feeble little fan for the stove.

Oh yes there are even one or two that will try gluing a leaking, knackered battery together.

I'm one for the wilkos 45p firelighters..

No messing. Light it with my lighter, throw it into the fire, with kindling on top. Shut the top door, and open the bottom and after a few minutes chuck some coal on. Leave the bottom door open for another few mins and then shut the bottom door, setting the damper and bobs yer uncle... the fire stays in for about 12 hours :lol:

Now, you've tickled my interest bone with this one! I just love making my own version of commonly used objects and then convincing myself that they're so much more effective than the shop bought versions.

It's not the saving a few pence that matters it's the smug satisfation that knowing my personally built carrier bag I hand knitted from used old ptf tape is so much stronger than the ones they give you for free at the supermarkets and only took two and a half years to make ......... that's what really matters!

A couple of years ago I started puzzling over how to fry chips in water. My fat fryer cooks them in oil at 170 degrees but when I tried to heat water to that temperature it obviously turned to steam and teased me by sitting on the kitchen ceiling two feet above my head.

I tried clamping a lid on it to stop it getting away and an hour later was found chuckling away to myself as I crouched on the floor picking shards of metal out of my face ............ re-inventing the pressure cooker was one of the funniest painful things I've ever done I'll bet Denis Papin of 1679 must have been chortling in his grave too.

It's just occurred to me that anyone could save simply pennies by using old supermarket carrier bags cut into strips instead of buying ptf tape for anything that didn't involve gas fittings which for some unknown reason the powers that be won't allow individuals like me to have a go at myself. Tcch!

Anyway thanks for the "heads up" on how to make home made fire lighters, candles eh? That sounds right up my passage does that.

I'm off out to Tesco's to buy some now if I can get my E' Type Combine Harvester to start, anybody want any carrier bags to try the ptf thingy?

zenataomm

Some of you lot never cease to amaze, you mess about making your own firelighters using all manner of stinking ingredients, then you go out and pay the best part of £100 for a feeble little fan for the stove.

Oh yes there are even one or two that will try gluing a leaking, knackered battery together.

Ah - How refreshing it is to have John's enlightened (no pun intended), thoughtful and constructive contribution added to yet another post.

Not sure what stink there is to plain candles, sawdust and cardboard egg boxes personally.

There is much enjoyment to be had out of making things you would otherwise buy such as bread, cakes, furniture, wine, beer, clothes and I daresay there are many of us on here who have tried with varying degrees of aptitude fenders and splicing. Sometimes such ventures save us money, sometimes not, but I suggest that the satisfaction of creation is very worthwhile.

So long as safety isn't compromised then each to their own - ambles off to find some nettles to make a decent soup with.

Ah - How refreshing it is to have John's enlightened (no pun intended), thoughtful and constructive contribution added to yet another post.

Not sure what stink there is to plain candles, sawdust and cardboard egg boxes personally.

There is much enjoyment to be had out of making things you would otherwise buy such as bread, cakes, furniture, wine, beer, clothes and I daresay there are many of us on here who have tried with varying degrees of aptitude fenders and splicing. Sometimes such ventures save us money, sometimes not, but I suggest that the satisfaction of creation is very worthwhile.

So long as safety isn't compromised then each to their own - ambles off to find some nettles to make a decent soup with.

Thought John's comment was a breath of fresh air in this depressing thread actually.

Nettle soup, bread (with live yeast), ginger beer, mutton curry, home made candles, fenders and splicing yes you are absolutely right - such that is personal and individual will give satisfaction of creation and sharing with others. But tuppeny firelighters? When you've factored in the cost of your time these must be the Fortnum & Masons of firelighters. And wine when a decent example can now be had now for £4? Beer i've yet to try a home made beer that tastes like, well, beer.