Jump to content

Fridge Behaviour


noether

Featured Posts

6 hours ago, noether said:

Nor do I want anybody to go out of their way to help me - I would find it excruciating. I feel I've been pretty clear on all of that. 

 

People have gone out of their way to help you by spending their time replying and giving you advice. The least you could do is humour them by actually taking steps to follow their advice. If you had done so, your problem would have been diagnosed, almost certainly, long ago.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, tehmarks said:

 

People have gone out of their way to help you by spending their time replying and giving you advice. The least you could do is humour them by actually taking steps to follow their advice. If you had done so, your problem would have been diagnosed, almost certainly, long ago.

 

If they didn't want to spend their time replying, they shouldn't have done so. There is no rule that if you ask for advice, you're obliged to take it. Not least because all I asked about was if anyone knew what my fridge was doing. So no, it is not "the least I could do". 

 

Given that I've been called a drama queen for refusing to sell my only home to a random stranger on the internet, when I didn't ask and had already politely declined, even after I have repeatedly explained my situation, I will reiterate that nobody is obligated to post on this thread, including you. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

 

As a matter of interest, which supermarkets do you use, and is it fairly straightforward? How do they let you know they have arrived in the car park, and does the driver carry the stuff to your boat, or do you have to carry it from the car park.

 

I ask because I have seen some here who have had difficulty getting supermarkets to deliver to them at a marina, or a mooring, so your experience could be helpful.

 

Most will deliver to just about anywhere with an address and postcode.

 

We have had two deliveries from ASDA whilst on a remoteish caravan site in Cornwall for the last three weeks.

 

When you set up the delivery address you leave instructions. 

 

Ours were 'on arrival please draw up in yard outside reception and ring xxxxxxxxx. We will come up to meet you.

 

 

Worked perfectly both times and the drivers confirmed they do it all the time. There only issue was negotiating the narrow high sided Cornish lanes., The battle scars on the trucks bore testomy to this.

 

 

 

Edited by The Happy Nomad
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, noether said:

 

I'm free to post on the internet if I wish, you are free to offer advice or not if you wish, and I am free to choose to accept it or not. 

 

(although what have I done that "annoyed" you?? Seems a rather strong reaction).

 

I find to basically ask for advice and when you get it for free make up what to me looked like a string of excuses not to even try to follow that advice rude. Then seemingly telling those on here who know what they are talking about that their advice is worth less than some bod at a boatyard who seems to have done no diagnostic tests whatsoever, even ruder.  Don't you get ignored when people ask for help and then seem to be rude in return? Still, regrettably, all too common these days.

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

 

I find to basically ask for advice and when you get it for free make up what to me looked like a string of excuses not to even try to follow that advice rude. Then seemingly telling those on here who know what they are talking about that their advice is worth less than some bod at a boatyard who seems to have done no diagnostic tests whatsoever, even ruder.  Don't you get ignored when people ask for help and then seem to be rude in return? Still, regrettably, all too common these days.

 

I find this attitude bizarre. I'm a programmer, and when people ask me for computer advice, I give it. If they don't take my advice, I don't get on my high horse about it and call them rude, to their face. That really would be rude. 

 

And how do I know you know what you're talking about? You could be anybody. You could BE the random bod from the boatyard for all I know. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, noether said:

 

I find this attitude bizarre. I'm a programmer, and when people ask me for computer advice, I give it. If they don't take my advice, I don't get on my high horse about it and call them rude, to their face. That really would be rude. 

 

And how do I know you know what you're talking about? You could be anybody. You could BE the random bod from the boatyard for all I know. 

 

As I told you on here you have the ability, if you wish to use it, to look at any individual member's history of posts and the outcomes. You could also have used the link on my signature or googled my name plus marine or boat and  maybe educated yourself with a whole  slew of free advice and notes. Then you should be a to make a judgement. Don't you expect to do anything for yourself?

 

People have given freely of their timer and expertise in an attempt to help you when you seem not to have wanted any help at all.

 

I find it bizarre that anyone would ask for advice and then make little or no attempt to follow it, but its an increasingly common attitude. Don't like the advice, ignore it and asbalek again. I know you did not ask again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

 

As I told you on here you have the ability, if you wish to use it, to look at any individual member's history of posts and the outcomes. You could also have used the link on my signature or googled my name plus marine or boat and  maybe educated yourself with a whole  slew of free advice and notes. Then you should be a to make a judgement. Don't you expect to do anything for yourself?

 

People have given freely of their timer and expertise in an attempt to help you when you seem not to have wanted any help at all.

 

I find it bizarre that anyone would ask for advice and then make little or no attempt to follow it, but its an increasingly common attitude. Don't like the advice, ignore it and asbalek again. I know you did not ask again.

 

Why do you think you're that important? Did you research me in-depth before replying? There are dozens of people replying to this thread, I'm not going to read character biographies of all of them. If I googled everyone I interacted with on the internet to make a judgement on them, I'd be doing nothing else, ever. 

 

I asked a question. I got an answer. I repeat: I give advice to people all the time about computers. If they don't take it, I don't call them rude and tell them to google me because I'm such a big shot and they clearly don't expect to do anything for themselves. I just shrug and get on with my day. I would do the same if you asked me. 

 

Why some of you think asking a question means that someone has signed some kind of sacred contract with you if you respond, I have no idea.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, noether said:

 

Why do you think you're that important? Did you research me in-depth before replying? There are dozens of people replying to this thread, I'm not going to read character biographies of all of them. If I googled everyone I interacted with on the internet to make a judgement on them, I'd be doing nothing else, ever. 

 

I asked a question. I got an answer. I repeat: I give advice to people all the time about computers. If they don't take it, I don't call them rude and tell them to google me because I'm such a big shot and they clearly don't expect to do anything for themselves. I just shrug and get on with my day. I would do the same if you asked me. 

 

Why some of you think asking a question means that someone has signed some kind of sacred contract with you if you respond, I have no idea.

 

For the record, I too find your attitude unpleasant and rude. Asking for advice on an internet forum then generally dissing the people responding, some of them highly qualified to give high quality advice, seems to me the very height of bad manners. You obviously think it's fine.

 

I am also beginning to doubt you really live on a boat, and think this whole thread has just been a wind-up. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MtB said:

 

For the record, I too find your attitude unpleasant and rude. Asking for advice on an internet forum then generally dissing the people responding, some of them highly qualified to give high quality advice, seems to me the very height of bad manners. You obviously think it's fine.

 

I am also beginning to doubt you really live on a boat, and think this whole thread has just been a wind-up. 

 

 

 

How am I "generally dissing"? What does that mean? I have been called a drama queen, and I have been called rude. I haven't used any such insults (although I could, if you want). 

 

And again, I really fail to see how "not following advice" qualifies as the "height of bad manners". It's called advice for a reason. If it was mandatory, it would be called 'a command'. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, noether said:

 

How am I "generally dissing"? What does that mean? I have been called a drama queen, and I have been called rude. I haven't used any such insults (although I could, if you want). 

 

And again, I really fail to see how "not following advice" qualifies as the "height of bad manners". It's called advice for a reason. If it was mandatory, it would be called 'a command'. 

 

Yawn. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, noether said:

 

How am I "generally dissing"? What does that mean? I have been called a drama queen, and I have been called rude. I haven't used any such insults (although I could, if you want). 

 

And again, I really fail to see how "not following advice" qualifies as the "height of bad manners". It's called advice for a reason. If it was mandatory, it would be called 'a command'. 

It does seem odd to me that you even asked for advice.  Every single bit of help and advice you've been offered have been dismissed for what have typically been spurious reasons.  I'm wondering if you're just trolling too now.

 

The bottom line is; you live on a boat and are partially reliant on batteries for your daily life.  You have no way of telling what charge is in those batteries or whether those batteries are being charged.  You started this thread with a problem which points to a possible battery problem.  A problem which is likely to get worse going into winter.  Forum members have unanimously raised concerns for you about this, yet you just don't want to know and would rather moan about how hard living on a boat is.  NEWSFLASH: It's a hell of a lot harder if you refuse to do anything to help yourself.

  • Greenie 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Silly I know ....but :

 

it says charging and AC available....

 

I've got a manual landline switch over 

 

i left my battery charger in circuit when i was not on the landline....and turning the Inverter on...starter charging the batteries. Trouble was...I was charging them from themselves...so it read 14.2 volts....but they were dying !.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As convo about living on boats progressed, Richard10002 asked:

 

"As a matter of interest, which supermarkets do you use, and is it fairly straightforward?"

 

A question the OP swerved, leading me to wonder if the whole thread has been a wind-up, in the light of his feeble/helpless reasons why he cannot follow any of the advice offered so far. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MtB said:

As convo about living on boats progressed, Richard10002 asked:

 

"As a matter of interest, which supermarkets do you use, and is it fairly straightforward?"

 

A question the OP swerved, leading me to wonder if the whole thread has been a wind-up, in the light of his feeble/helpless reasons why he cannot follow any of the advice offered so far. 


The word troll came to my mind early on when he said he couldn’t afford to spend an hour listening to his fridge to see if it was behaving normally.

 

Having said that, it’s hard to see that someone would spend the time and effort “creating” such a situation for the sole purpose of trolling.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On the positive side, whether or not the OP is a troll or wind up merchant, there’s plenty of knowledge given on this thread that others, including myself,  might glean from. 
So all is not wasted. 
 

I’ve found a lot of it funny and amusing. 
 

 

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The forum is an amazing place full of some really knowledgeable and helpful people, advice is freely given and sometimes members go above and beyond to help by actually visiting the poster to give real practical help.

 

What it is often bad at is accepting those who frankly don't want to do the oily stuff, I have no idea why he asked the question if he wasn't willing to get stuck in but he did and maybe he just needed reassurance or the advice to  pay someone to have a look.

 

The OP said from the 1st or second reply he's not getting grubby or buying a multimeter and later admitted he feels awkward receiving help even freely given, plus it takes a while to actually know who gives genuine time served advice anyway

 

At this point there was no real point in continuing to advise buying a multimeter or poking around in the batteries and at least in my opinion no need to start with the troll comments, just because you or I can't understand the motivation of someone doesn't make them a troll.

 

I have know idea what he was wanting to get out of the question or who he is or where he moors his boat, he may even be a troll but I don't think so, I just find it odd how people are treated here sometimes.

 

 

  • Greenie 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Here's a pretty introverted quiet guy living alone through circumstance rather than choice in an environment that has been forced upon him (he feels this is the case and therefore we must accept his feelings). I suspect he is a bit lonely and feeling isolated. It's a shame the thread got a bit unpleasant, because I enjoyed a lot of the humour earlier on. People often react sharply when poked. 

 

I'm not finger pointing; almost everything that has been posted has been well intentioned. Just saying there might be another side to it. Maybe he'd just wanted to reach out in quiet anonymity for a bit of company. 

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.