Big Ricky

Liam

Featured Posts

Try this:

BIG-RICKY-72ft-Narrowboat-circa-1938_W0QQitemZ280167769297QQihZ018QQcategoryZ69834QQtcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQr

1QQcmdZViewItem

If it does not work fo to e-bay and just type in BIG-RICKY in search

Edited to say "What the heck" carlt has got it!

Edited by Radiomariner

I think its called TAPLOW according to the information on the page now. She spent some time known as WILLOW WREN as far as I know before sinking on the T&M before being raised and sent to Charity dock for work.

definitely not Taplow, I owned her for a while and she hasn't got a front end.

Someone torched Usk this afternoon, btw, will write more when I've calmed down.

Oh no Carl, thats awful anything I can do to help just ask.

Sadly she's a bit beyond help (double edged sword these tar boats). At the risk of merging three disparate topics I'm afraid I've dumped rather a lot of ash in the cut and I'm just relieved it was kids who did it and not Finch setting fire to himself (which was my first thought).

definitely not Taplow, I owned her for a while and she hasn't got a front end.

Someone torched Usk this afternoon, btw, will write more when I've calmed down.

This is desperately sad. For anyone who looks at the forum as obsessively as we do your boats get to be like old friends, Carl. Apart from the loss of one more wooden boat what does this say about English 'society'.

SteveE

Kids have been setting fire to stuff since we started playing with fire. My school was the target of arsonists several times in the 70's (though we were far more traumatised when some nasty piece of work slaughtered the school tortoise). Never as successfully as the scrotes who totally destroyed Newbold school a couple of years ago though.

How much is the boat worth?

Is that monetary, historical, sentimental, or practical value?

My condolences Carl, I can't think of anything else to say (well I have some opinions on what should happen to those responsible, but I don't think I should post those, as people probably wouldn't like me as much if they knew what I was capable of thinking). :smiley_offtopic:

Is that monetary, historical, sentimental, or practical value?

My condolences Carl, I can't think of anything else to say (well I have some opinions on what should happen to those responsible, but I don't think I should post those, as people probably wouldn't like me as much if they knew what I was capable of thinking). :smiley_offtopic:

Monetary

Sadly she's a bit beyond help (double edged sword these tar boats). At the risk of merging three disparate topics I'm afraid I've dumped rather a lot of ash in the cut and I'm just relieved it was kids who did it and not Finch setting fire to himself (which was my first thought).

Really sorry about your boat, that is very bad news.

How much is the boat worth?

I can't find a thread about your boat Carlt or isn't it posted yet?

I swopped it for a 28' springer, which I'd swapped for a stage1 V* land rover, did some work on it, got it legal and sold it for a grand. It was docked and we put some wood in her but bodged up the disintegrating bows, temporarily. This 'temporary' fix fell out a few years later and she had holes in the bows you could climb through. If these have been fixed then she's a strong boat.

She was built in January 1937 (not 38) and rebuilt in 1958, by Willow Wren, as an 'exhibition' boat. The company who had her converted sold her soon after, back to Willow Wren who set up a separate company based around hiring her out for corporate functions and exhibitions.

She was rebottomed in '58 with 4" elm (rather than 3) and this was still over 3.5 " when we docked her.

Her back end is very strong and the Petter is bulletproof.

How much is she worth? If the bows have been done, I'd say £5 or 6k, if not and they've been rebodged, still a grand.

Not started an usk topic yet. Will do soon.

I've never met Usk but over the years I have learned so much about her and wooden boats generally through you postings, Carlt.

I'm so sorry to hear of your sad news. Is she now beyond all hope?

Chris

I shall start a new thread rather than hijack this one, if that's okay.