Residential moorings on the Rivers in Cornwall/Devon

RosieMarshall

Featured Posts

Hi there. I have seen some previous posts about this but most of them are quite old and don't give away too much information. I am hoping to look into the possibility of moving my widebeam canal boat 60 x 12 on to a river in Cornwall or Devon. I understand that this comes with many more challenges and there doesn't seem to be too many options but I do like myself a challenge! Does anyone have any other info or tips on how one might go about this or know of anyone so I could pick their brain?? Thanks in advance! 

Gweek on the river Helford always used to do resi moorings. We nearly got one a few years ago. Your boat may be ok there but a proper boat shaped boat would be far more suited down there than a canal boat.

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1

57 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

There are also moorings for liveaboards at Torpoint which are rather nice.

Which ones ?

When we were there they told us no liveaboards.

We couldnt fit into the "Ballast Pond"  and ended up on the swing moorings.

Torpoint Marinas.jpg

image.jpeg.655c8f52d6d8e02f24b6109245ee08ac.jpeg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Torpoint yacht moorings. I have friends live there. Its the same old case of not what you know but who you know. I have known the area a very long time. First wife is from there and one daughter lives there.

28 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Torpoint yacht moorings. I have friends live there. Its the same old case of not what you know but who you know. I have known the area a very long time. First wife is from there and one daughter lives there.

Thats where we were, now moved over to Millbrook (up the river past Southdown Marina)

As well as changing anodes I think you'd need to epoxy your hull including the baseplate. 

I saw a few widebeams in Ramsgate marina a few weeks ago. I guess they were craned in and just stay there? I can't see anyone being crazy enough to bring them out the thames estuary and around the Kent coast.

IMG_20210604_181701.jpg

IMG_20210605_115521.jpg

Edited by blackrose

7 hours ago, blackrose said:

I saw a few widebeams in Ramsgate marina a few weeks ago. I guess they were craned in and just stay there? I can't see anyone being crazy enough to bring them out the thames estuary and around the Kent coast.

It's been done by narrow boat!

Admittedly it was Ocean Princess but it still counts.

8 hours ago, blackrose said:

As well as changing anodes I think you'd need to epoxy your hull including the baseplate. 

I guess it would depend if you are on a drying, or floating mooring, but, you'd certainly need anti-fouling on a yearly / two-yearly basis (depending on type used)

Co-incidentally this picture is at Millbrook (just around the corner from Torpoint)

Leave it an extra year and this happens :

CAM00342.jpg

23 hours ago, RosieMarshall said:

I am hoping to look into the possibility of moving my widebeam canal boat 60 x 12 on to a river in Cornwall or Devon.

You are not the 1st to ask this question :

When you say "a river" mooring are you thinking of being on a drying mooring or in a marina alongside a pontoon, or on a swinging mooring in the 'middle' of the river ?

The differing costs, conditions and requirements and 'stress levels' between the three types are huge.

For example, as Torpoint was suggested (and we had a mooring there), your mooring could be half-a-mile, or a mile away from 'land' and you will need a small boat (tender) to take you ashore and back again, or you can reply on the water taxi (during 9 to 5)

With a boat your size you will struggle to be able to fill with water, unless you go across the other side to Plymouth and go into a marina, you will need to arrange toilet emptying and will have no electrical supply.

All of the 'modern' must haves are no longer available to you.

HUGE navy boats will be going backwards and forwards past to you get to their moorings and not being a 'proper shaped' boat you will suffer some pretty big turbulence (wash)

Unless you have experience of tidal waters I'd think very carefully before commiting.

Here is a big grey widebeam, and the Torpoint moorings (the red buoys)

Screenshot (331).png

11 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Thats where we were, now moved over to Millbrook (up the river past Southdown Marina)

I used to own a house in Millbrook :D I know the area very very well so if I may be of local knowledge assistance just ask old bean. Though the pubs will have all changed hands by now so the realy important stuff I will not be up to date with.

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I used to own a house in Millbrook :D I know the area very very well so if I may be of local knowledge assistance just ask old bean. Though the pubs will have all changed hands by now so the realy important stuff I will not be up to date with.

Then you'll know exactly where the Cat is (the boat yard was opened in 1968)

30 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Then you'll know exactly where the Cat is (the boat yard was opened in 1968)

I sure do, I didnt know you kept it there. Smashin area. You will pass the entrance to Pier Cellars then sometimes? I have spent many a day there many years ago and weekends in the house.

3 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

It's been done by narrow boat!

Admittedly it was Ocean Princess but it still counts.

Yes I know it's been done. A few narrowboats have crossed the channel too, but as far as I'm aware taking canal boats out of the Thames estuary and around the Kent coast to channel ports isn't being done regularly. Hence my point that those widebeams were probably craned in.

• 9 months later...

I've seen a widebeam on Restronguet Creek near Falmouth.  I'm sure there are many others tucked away.  However, I'm doubtful that any are on official residential moorings.  This is why previous threads don't give away much.  These sort of moorings are often sold by word-of-mouth and when lived aboard and kept well below the radar.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restronguet_Creek