Tesco on the canals.

John Orentas

Featured Posts

A short piece this morning on the 'Morning Programme'. Tesco's are proposing to transport their wines and spirits from the port facility in Liverpool to their depot in Manchester using the Ship Canal.

The presenters and the bloke from Tesco repeatedly using the term 'The Canal Network'.. Does nobody south of the Cheshire gap have a clue what the Manchester Ship Canal is, you would think there would be a clue in it's name.. Laudable though the scheme my be (Though it is possible that Tesco only want to score a few brownie points from the Greene's) it is not really using 'The canal network' is it.

Tesco are always up to something.

I wish they would leave their bottles of Leffe Brun at £2.48 rather than putting the price up by a quid when it suits them.

Its like do they think people are stupid and are going to continue to buy things once they raise the price.

Next they will be delivering shopping via narrowboat.

here's the gen: posted to me by a freighty friend of mine

http://www.24dash.com/environment/28818.htm

No surprise: Tesco are always trying to be one step ahead, that's why they are so big. Sometimes it's very very cynical like building stores 20% bigger than they have planning permission for, sometimes its agreeing to take awkward sites that no other retailer will take, which gets the local community on their side.

That said, glad Tesco haven't got a store in Bath

I am quite supprised at the negative reaction that is coming out when a company says that it is taking steps to reduce existing carbon emmissions. Its like saying no thank you we don't like what you represent so we do not want your contribution.

I am quite supprised at the negative reaction that is coming out when a company says that it is taking steps to reduce existing carbon emmissions. Its like saying no thank you we don't like what you represent so we do not want your contribution.

They still provide plastic bags and have tons of packaging that is not 'green'.

I wouldnt use them if they we not the only supermarket close by.

Like all of these big companies their ulteria motive is drapped in darkness!

It will be Tesco High school next.

I'm very pleased that they are doing something like this: it will reinvigorate the ship canal and get Peel Holdings to get their finger out, it will probably make the whole issue of protecting wharves and canal maintenance much more high profile and overall it is a good thing, although undoubtedly the motive is to promote Tesco.

It's just that Tesco have a habit of riding roughshod over everything, with tricks like building stores that are bigger than they have got permission for, and the contesting the resulting enforcement notice, or buying ALL the sites near their stores so competitors don't get a look in: they are the good, the bad an the ugly all at once. I don't particularly want Tesco out of Bath (they have an express store in Odd Down) but they are the sort of company that wight ignore incovenient details like our world heritage status...

Crossed the Barton Aqueduct last Saturday just before it was opened to allow the trip boat from Liverpool to Salford Quays. The man closing the gates across the canal said they were expecting 180 trip boat movements next year. If the Tescos thing comes to anything, with the other traffic it could get quite busy.

I wish they would leave their bottles of Leffe Brun at £2.48 rather than putting the price up by a quid when it suits them.

Just got back from Belgium - Leffe Brun 4.30 euro for 4 bottles :lol: hic hic :cheers:

I'm very pleased that they are doing something like this: it will reinvigorate the ship canal and get Peel Holdings to get their finger out, it will probably make the whole issue of protecting wharves and canal maintenance much more high profile and overall it is a good thing, although undoubtedly the motive is to promote Tesco.

I doubt it. Tesco have actually been doing this for a while, I suspect its designed to raise Peel's image more than Tesco.

Crossed the Barton Aqueduct last Saturday just before it was opened to allow the trip boat from Liverpool to Salford Quays. The man closing the gates across the canal said they were expecting 180 trip boat movements next year. If the Tescos thing comes to anything, with the other traffic it could get quite busy.

True the trip boats are becoming more popular, but the Tesco boats don't come that far up!

I doubt it. Tesco have actually been doing this for a while, I suspect its designed to raise Peel's image more than Tesco.

Sorry to argue with you but in several years of dealing with the policy side of water frieght and fighting the implications of non-policy (i.e. wharves turned into des res flats) one of the biggest obstacles has been an indifference or a lack of awareness about water freight, often typified by "no one uses it any more" when you point out aggregates on the Thames or even Hovis grain to Manchester, the look back generally implies that Hovis and Cemex ARE nobody. Tesco aren't, they have clout and if Tesco move to water transport then others take note, regardless of Tesco's motives. As for raising Peels image, not that many people know who Peel are and they aren't mentioned in most of the press articles: this was a Tesco sell no doubt.

Those working in the field have wanted a "big" name for years: the dream would be Eddie Stobart barges but Tesco will do for now...

It's just that Tesco have a habit of riding roughshod over everything, with tricks like building stores that are bigger than they have got permission for, and the contesting the resulting enforcement notice, or buying ALL the sites near their stores so competitors don't get a look in: they are the good, the bad an the ugly all at once. I don't particularly want Tesco out of Bath (they have an express store in Odd Down) but they are the sort of company that wight ignore incovenient details like our world heritage status...

Ok Tesco versus BW cmon if Tesco want a route to transport thier wine Robin medal medal medal James will pull some of his games equipment out of London to help with the planned route?

Oh by the way when the games is over and all the bw equipment is knackered and all the waterway system is on its last legs will the medal holder be seen for dust i very much doubt it! Yes like it or not TESCO is good for us all and we should applaud them for they may be our saviours?

Ok Tesco versus BW cmon if Tesco want a route to transport thier wine Robin medal medal medal James will pull some of his games equipment out of London to help with the planned route?

Oh by the way when the games is over and all the bw equipment is knackered and all the waterway system is on its last legs will the medal holder be seen for dust i very much doubt it! Yes like it or not TESCO is good for us all and we should applaud them for they may be our saviours?

Wasn't the woman who owns Tescos accused of Gerrymandering by the Local Government Ombudsman?

My original posting on this topic was really pointing out the rather inept way the media treated this story, despite those few TV programmes we have seen lately, we still have a long way to go in getting a bit of educated debate and public acceptance for our canal system.

Confusing stories about the Manchester Ship Canal with 'The canal system' does show that even the BBC don't have a clue when it comes down to it.