Freecycle.....getting free stuff.

Supermalc

Featured Posts

Is there a freecycle site for boaters? As space is at such a premium on most boats I would have thought this a great way to get rid of your unwanted 'junk' ...... or do you chuck last weeks telly in the skip to impress the neighbours :D

For cruisers (people who move about) this could be a good way of deciding where to go.

Is there a freecycle site for boaters? As space is at such a premium on most boats I would have thought this a great way to get rid of your unwanted 'junk' ...... or do you chuck last weeks telly in the skip to impress the neighbours :D

For cruisers (people who move about) this could be a good way of deciding where to go.

Anything I have that I don't want I put on freecycle...!

As far as I am aware Freecycle operates as a co-operative of independantly run groups, each of which is based upon a locality. I suppose you could ask the National co-ordinators whether there can be regional ones, but someone would have to accept responsibility for operating and moderating it.

I use our local one to dispose of stuff, although I am under threat not to bring any more junk into the house.

As far as I am aware Freecycle operates as a co-operative of independantly run groups, each of which is based upon a locality.

Yep, that's the case. I've successfully freecycled all sorts of junk. We even managed to get shot of an old Wolfrace alloy wheel and tyre from a mini that was being used as a mooring fender. Bloke thought he'd won the lottery - he'd been looking for one for years to make up a set and apparently the original centre cap was problably the most valuable bit! As they say, one man's junk, etc....

Come on.........there must be loads of free stuff you want to give me to a deserving person.

What are you particularly looking for? I'll see if I have it in my attic!!!

I have only used freecycle to get rid of my beautiful piano. Lovely walnut she was. (sounded a bit like a shrieking banshee on occasion) I couldn't bear to dump her but no one would buy her.

She went down the road to the next village.

Aah

Otherwise I have been getting rid of stuff at charity shops etc. Until they told me to stop bringing books. Fistilines.

whats wrong with ebay? first place I stick any crap...sorry possibly useful stuff is ebay and see if its worth anything.

bought about 100 beermats once from a car boot sale stuck em on ebay and found out 6 of em were worth over £100 a piece.

had to smile as swmbo had insisted I was buying more 'junk'

:D

What are you particularly looking for? I'll see if I have it in my attic!!!

That's very kind :D

My most pressing need is a air pressure switch for a cream and brown Hotpoint automatic washer ........ however any diamond rings, or bags of cash would be equally suitable (just to top up my boating fund) which now stands at £0.00

The last bit is a joke btw, except the 0s at the end, which are sadly true......just in case any person doesn't understand my sense of humour.

Edited by Supermalc

Posting at the same time again :D

Which freecycle do you use, the local one where you live? I was thinking more for people who move around all the time.

I freecycle in the area I am about to turn up in.

Some lousy g*bshite will sell you something, but forget to tell you that it isn't working and then will totally ignore you.

I've got 100% feedback and I've never had cause to give bad feedback to anyone I've dealt with (in nearly 250 transactions).

I understand there are scammers out there but I've either been careful or lucky.

Some lousy g*bshite will sell you something, but forget to tell you that it isn't working and then will totally ignore you.

That's a bit rough, I use eBay a lot, and have only once been sold something that did not match the description. After negotiation I got my money and the the postage cost back. Most of the stuff I buy is Antique Woodwrking Tools and I have been more than pleased with every item I have bought.

I've generally had success on ebay - got my Francis light for £50 when everybody else must have been asleep. Tried to buy a car recently and that was a nightmare - seller listed it with MOT, arranged to collect, he couldn't find it. A week later he *found* it and oh dear, that's a surprise it had just expired.... He got very arsey when I pointed out that his listing was misleading and he then trashed my feedback, registered a non payment strike and didn't attempt to use the resolution process. Have to say ebay were good and immediately removed it when I sent them all the correspondence. I wouldn't ever attempt to buy a car through ebay again though.

Try freecycle - much better. Costs less £0.00 except the transport to fetch it, and if you don't want it, just put it back on and get someone else to collect, or take it to the dump.

Fleabay is ok for some cheap new stuff, but by the time you add the postage it's often cheaper in local shops. I did get my prop for my boat though it though, along with some other bits and pieces I've bought. Got my GPS from there recently, although I phoned my order.

Anything I buy I always pay by cheque. Often getting the goods in a day or two, long before the cheque has cleared. Only problem I've ever had was when the postman was late delivering the cheque. All was soon sorted out, with profuse apologies from the seller, which I assured him were unneccessary.

Put a boat on ebay with a mate 2 or 3 years ago....his account and got reasonable money for it. Yes it's ok for selling junk....people usually pay silly prices, but you can't usually buy owt, unless it's something obscure that only you want.

Edited by Supermalc

That's very kind :D

My most pressing need is a air pressure switch for a cream and brown Hotpoint automatic washer

Nope sorry not got one of those in my attic. My Zanussi still going strong.

Got an old laptop 1998 Compaq with knackered A drive. Does have one USB so theoretically you can still copy stuff off it onto a stick thingy provided you have drivers for it. CD drive is read only.

Possibly still got a dinky canon printer in attic (not checked) that would speak to said laptop. It is a bubble jet possibly 10?. Does have a paper feeder with it but only takes 10 pages and then fouls them up so better to feed pages in one at a time.

A lovely little black and white tv.

Lots of toys but as they are theoretically "small boy's" (17yo) so can't get rid much as I'd like to.

When we bought the boat we sold stuff on ebay, but it takes blimmin' ages, all that weighing (and now measuring) for postage costs, taking photos, writing descriptions etc, it's really only worth it if you're going to make a few bob. I took lots of stuff to the charity shop, then big things (furniture mainly, but also a motorbike); we freecycled. Most of our furniture went to a woman who's mother had just got a council flat but couldn't afford to furnish it. They were seriously skint, they could barely afford the cost of a van to pick up the furniture.

I also gave a load of old beads to a school teacher who needed them for a project for her pupils. So freecycle is good for that. There are also a lot of green types out there who can't bear waste and won't have it if you say it has to be thrown away. A friend is very happy with her 'new' laptop with a broken screen and no 'w'. She is using a freecycled moniter with it and it doesn't matter about the missing 'w' as there is a little nobble underneath where the 'w' used to go, which works just fine. :D

I also met a lovely woman who restores art and china for a living. She told me she advertises for those futon bases that nobody sems to want, takes them apart and is almost half way through making a trellis/fencing thingy for her back garden.

Im the same, me and Vikki are always getting stuff from freecycle. The latest thing was a three seater sofa with two washable cover, six months old, the lady was giving it away because she was emigrating. I have had loads I have a 12 month old mountain bike with lights and lock, that the guy bought that never used, I also have a very nice clothes dryer that looks like a weights machine, and gathering dust, but can also be used to tone the body so I am told all very good condition and good working order.

Paul

Having only fairly recently moved into my new flat I am in the process of getting it furnished the way I want it and bit by bit I have been offloading the old things (mostly bought second hand from car boot sales) via freecycle.

I had been meaning to get around to popping the next batch on for a while and finally got a round to it last Sunday morning.

A formica topped gate leg table.

1960's coffee table

Lockable bathroom cabinet

plastic kitchen bin

and a few other bits

By 7pm that evening everything had been collected (by several different new owners) and I got an email of gratitude from one young girls Dad who explained she had just got a flat and was starting from scratch with a very limited budget so she was thrilled with her new things.

Thats a result!

I can't complain about eBay though. I was selling on eBay in 1998 when no one ecept the Americans had ever heard of it!

I used to make my living on there selling rubbish original vintage household ephemera to collectors, mostly the Japanese and Americans. the phrases, shabby chic, deep patina, rustic charm and similar used to do me proud when describing things that were quite old, generally well worn and sometimes only of any value as decoration. I have had an odd person leave me negative feedback (5 of them in total) but all of these seemed to be oblivious to the way eBay works and several of them were non paying bidders (in the days before the current, inho very successful, non paying bidder process was introduced there was little protection from this type of problem) compare that to over 1600 postive ratings and it hardly makes a dent in my percentage.

I still use ebay quite regularly to buy things, usually second hand, I am cery careful about who I buy from and reading the decriptions properly and so far have not really been dissapointed at all. In fact people marvel at the bargains I seem to keep finding on there! its all about knowing the tricks of how to search for the right things and how to bid!

So just to elaborate.....I started the thread with a view to giving people the opportunity (if none existed) of starting a freecycle 'region' just for boaters i.e. it can cover the country, as people usually move about.

As the net is now mobile, I just thought if someone wanted something from someone else, and knew they were going to be 'at Foxton' say they could meet and swap.

Live is slower on the waterways, and so would be time between the exchanges.

Having only fairly recently moved into my new flat I am in the process of getting it furnished the way I want it and bit by bit I have been offloading the old things (mostly bought second hand from car boot sales) via freecycle.

I had been meaning to get around to popping the next batch on for a while and finally got a round to it last Sunday morning.

A formica topped gate leg table.

1960's coffee table

Lockable bathroom cabinet

plastic kitchen bin

and a few other bits

By 7pm that evening everything had been collected (by several different new owners) and I got an email of gratitude from one young girls Dad who explained she had just got a flat and was starting from scratch with a very limited budget so she was thrilled with her new things.

Thats a result!

I can't complain about eBay though. I was selling on eBay in 1998 when no one ecept the Americans had ever heard of it!

I used to make my living on there selling rubbish original vintage household ephemera to collectors, mostly the Japanese and Americans. the phrases, shabby chic, deep patina, rustic charm and similar used to do me proud when describing things that were quite old, generally well worn and sometimes only of any value as decoration. I have had an odd person leave me negative feedback (5 of them in total) but all of these seemed to be oblivious to the way eBay works and several of them were non paying bidders (in the days before the current, inho very successful, non paying bidder process was introduced there was little protection from this type of problem) compare that to over 1600 postive ratings and it hardly makes a dent in my percentage.

I still use ebay quite regularly to buy things, usually second hand, I am cery careful about who I buy from and reading the decriptions properly and so far have not really been dissapointed at all. In fact people marvel at the bargains I seem to keep finding on there! its all about knowing the tricks of how to search for the right things and how to bid!

We got rid of no end of computer "junk" an old Applemac with a 17" CRT monitor which must have been about 3'6" from front to back. They were delighted with it. Out old cooker finally wore out after 20years but we got a "new" one from Freecyle. Belling Halogen. Everthing works a treat except for the front right hand ring which is mostly OK but one of the elements has gone so it doesn't get as hot as it should. All we needed to get was a new door seal and that only cost us £40.

Nick