Surveyor who'll travel to Doncaster

NB DW2

Featured Posts

Thanks a lot for the recommendations and advice.

Ricky Tropman booked although he's not booking work more than 2 weeks ahead, so we're looking at the first week of April.  Fingers crossed.

No reply from Mike Boulton to the voicemail and Whatsapp messages left this morning, so would've ruled him out on this basis anyhow.

12 hours ago, NB DW2 said:

No reply from Mike Boulton to the voicemail and Whatsapp messages left this morning, so would've ruled him out on this basis anyhow.

I must say, that alone is a bit harsh, he could be working away or taking a day off.

You will find in the Inland boating world, getting a positive response or indeed any action takes weeks or even months. 

Ditto invoicing, though I press for invoice with completed work, if work not completed (which has happened), I send them my estimate, which will cover the materials and the time on board. They may not like that, but I don't want a massive bill long after the event.

Edited by LadyG

3 hours ago, LadyG said:

I must say, that alone is a bit harsh, he could be working away or taking a day off.

You will find in the Inland boating world, getting a positive response or indeed any action takes weeks or even months. 

Ditto invoicing, though I press for invoice with completed work, if work not completed (which has happened), I send them my estimate, which will cover the materials and the time on board. They may not like that, but I don't want a massive bill long after the event.

So you create and send them an invoice for what you think it should cost for the work they have done and time they have spent on your boat?

Edited by PD1964

31 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

So you create and send them an invoice for what you think it should cost for the work they have done and time they have spent on your boat?

If they refuse to send me an invoice and have not finished the job, and don't bother to come and see me when they are working on the boat in the same yard. I send them money for the material they have purchased. 

Most people would call in and see me if they are not happy, as they must by know I am not happy, but they may not know why. 

If I have to go to the trouble of finding another person to finish their work, or even do it myself, they can't expect me to be a happy customer. 

If someone comes and does work as agreed, invoices me by email. They get paid by return. 

Edited by LadyG

15 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

And wonder why they dont turn up again

No, I just send them some money because they have not completed the work, and have not come back, I waited three months, and all I had was new batteries, not booted, not secured. 

I have to estimate their costs based on the materials and the time on board fitting the materials. 

It's up to them whether they want to finish the work on the boat, but I am not going to wait indefinately. 

Edited by LadyG

8 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

"Here's a shilling my good man.  Don't spend it all at once ..."

They are not significantly out of pocket, if they want more money they need to finish at least part of the job to code. I can do half a job, it's the other half I want done properly. 

17 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

When you say "done to code", is this done to "your level of acceptability", ?

or

To what 'code' are you referring ?

Possibly the Pirate code,where on side says the word "parley"and everyone puts their cutlasses down to discuss things before picking up their weapons and continuing the carnage.?

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, LadyG said:

They are not significantly out of pocket, if they want more money they need to finish at least part of the job to code. I can do half a job, it's the other half I want done properly. 

You were referred to as “Mad as Box of Frogs” by the Marina at Google. I can imagine it, you do have some strange ideas and seam not to be able to see why Tradesmen don’t want your business. I wonder why they don’t come back???

Edited by PD1964

23 minutes ago, LadyG said:

The BSC, and the code of good common sense 

So you are only looking for "Bachelor" workmen ?, and you are incorrect - it is not a requirement to have the terminals 'booted'

You do invent some stuff !!

Section 3:1:3 requires the battery to be "covered" or "insulated", a piece of wood across the top of the battery, or even deck-boards can be sufficient.

NOTE – deck boards, locker lids, etc, made from or lined with insulating material may only be considered as battery covers where they will not be removed for any purpose other than gaining accessto the batteries

Edited by Alan de Enfield

21 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Section 3:1:3 requires the battery to be "covered" or "insulated", a piece of wood across the top of the battery, or even deck-boards can be sufficient.

NOTE – deck boards, locker lids, etc, made from or lined with insulating material may only be considered as battery covers where they will not be removed for any purpose other than gaining accessto the batteries

Although you might have a job convincing the BSC Examiner that you lift your cruiser stern deck boards only to access the batteries.

Just now, David Mack said:

Although you might have a job convincing the BSC Examiner that you lift your cruiser stern deck boards only to access the batteries.

One cruiser stern NB that we had, had a large deck board central, and small (slightly) triangular ones at each side, that effectively covered the swims.

The centre board was removed for access to the engine and the small, narrow, side panels covered the batteries on one side, and the other side was 'storage' Oil cans, filters etc.

The BSS examiner was happy to say that wooden 'side' deck boards complied with the requirements.