C&RT say don't empty your compost toilet in our bins.

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

What difference would that make to the questions I've asked? I know this is a hot topic but it's not as simple as saying ban composting toilets through bss and that's the problem sorted.

Edited by Ianws
Should have quoted Alan

12 minutes ago, IanD said:

Why should the vast majority of boaters (more than 35000) pay to have the uncomposted poo of a small minority (less than 700) dealt with, when they're doing something that CART told them was not the way that composting toilets should be used?

(but was then stupid enough via poor wording to give them a bag'n'bin loophole instead of actually stopping this)

Because that's what "a financial cost" really means -- money for CART doesn't grow on trees, it comes from (among other sources) boaters, and money spent on this is money that isn't spent on things like maintenance.

If the composting toilet users paid the extra cost of disposal themselves then I'm sure nobody else would complain, but they would complain since this would cost them at least as much -- probably more -- than pumpouts.

Hands up all the composting toilet users who would pay £15 a go (same as a pumpout) to have their waste taken away and dealt with. How about a more realistic £30 a go? No takers?

If they don't want to do this (and can't or won't compost the waste properly), what's stopping them doing what everyone else does (and they used to do before composting toilets became available) and use either pumpouts or cassettes and the existing waste disposal facilities?

There is, of course, no reason at all why everyone should pay for the disposal of the 'toilet' of the few and I'm sure you're correct that the 'composters' won't pay £30 or even £15, however, the use of separating loos seems to be taking off, not slowing down, not only because it is currently free of charge to empty, but presumably also because of other benefits mentioned elsewhere.

If a liveaboard has been introduced to a toilet that produces a bucket full that is light in weight, relatively pleasant to 'handle' and only needs emptying every two months, it may take a great deal to convert them back to emptying toilet cassettes every 3 days or so. 

A separating loo need be no more than a bucket with a separator on top, and so very easy to remove and replace at will, making them near impossible to ban effectively.

If a ban can't guarantee that C&RT bins are free from uncomposted toilet waste, and waste carriers threaten fines or complete service removal, if not providing a dedicated bin for such waste, then what else can the C&RT do.

The thing that really amuses me about this thread is the fact that the most vociferous opponents of composting bogs have no real skin in the game.

@Alan de Enfield has by his own admission left the canals and is now somewhere else (i cant be bothered to check where).

And..

@IanD is a hire boater like me, and will rarely encounter the issue, if ever.

Its a bit sad lads, time for another hobby perhaps?

Like stamp or coin collecting.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

I do wonder why those such as our dear beloved misnomered nomad are so obsessed with emojis at an age when they really should be past such obsession and if asked repeatedly insist they're of no consequence. 

When I find irony I laugh, bless his cotton socks he provides it in spades 🙂

(It's quite funny when I post a reaction to one of his posts I get a notification that he's posted reactions to four or five of my posts - he has to go back weeks sometimes - I don't post very often nowadays ☺️)  I just delete the notifications - it makes me chuckle and is very predictable. 

Happy rather than aggressive and confrontational would be so much better for a sense of well-being and radiates to those around you. I recommend it 🙂

I still reserve the right to laugh at irony ☺️

When I post a laughing emoji it means it made me laugh, and I refuse to be bullied into not posting my feelings. 

I much prefer the old days when votes were anonymous - there are non confrontational posters who will feel unable to silently voice their opinion via an emoji because there are those that will attack them for daring to disagree.

I'll have a chat with Daniel, the loss of anonymity was never voted on and just happened with a forum upgrade.

Just to add, I normally add my reactions easily and reflecting how I feel about the post. I always hesitate and hover over our misnomered nomad, I know he'll have a hissy fit, but then I think that's his problem, why should I be less than honest with him? That's the definition of a bully.

I will never be silenced by a bully.

I fear that other posters are.

Which is a shame.

Edited by Ange
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

The thing that really amuses me about this thread is the fact that the most vociferous opponents of composting bogs have no real skin in the game.

@Alan de Enfield has by his own admission left the canals and is now somewhere else (i cant be bothered to check where).

And..

@IanD is a hire boater like me, and will rarely encounter the issue, if ever.

Its a bit sad lads, time for another hobby perhaps?

Like stamp or coin collecting.

Just for once, I'll reply...

I'm an opponent for several reasons:

1. I hate it when a small minority of people unfairly do something selfish which is good for them but bad for everyone else; this applies equally to rich tax evaders and bag'n'binners.

2. Putting uncomposted human sh*t into a general waste bin is just plain nasty for the people who use and empty the bins, just like bagged dog poo -- but that's another subject...

3. Yes I've been a hire boater for many years -- so what? I've probably contributed more to the canals via hire fees than many liveaboards (especially the new ones most likely to be composters) and travelled round far more of the system, and have had a deep interest in and love for the canals for many years -- so why does this make me an inferior canal citizen and why does this stop me caring about people who abuse them? Not to mention the fact that I intend to spend a lot more time on them in the future after my boat is built...

4. Ad hominem attacks are what people like THN and TWC always resort to when they've lost an argument on facts, because by attacking people they think they can divert the subject away from the real argument. Like Ange, I refuse to let these tactics stop me saying what I think is right and backed by facts, and keep on saying it even if they don't like it.

I won't dignify THN with any further replies, any more insults will go unread -- back to the naughty step he goes...

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 2

1 minute ago, IanD said:

Just for once, I'll reply...

I'm an opponent for several reasons:

1. I hate it when a small minority of people do something selfish which is good for them but bad for everyone else; this applies equally to rich tax evaders and bag'n'binners.

2. Putting uncomposted human sh*t into a general waste bin is just plain nasty for the people who use and empty the bins, just like bagged dog poo -- but that's another subject

3. Yes I've been a hire boater for many years -- so what? I've probably contributed more to the canals via hire fees than many liveaboards -- especially new ones, travelled round more of the system than many, and have had a deep interest in the canals for many years, so why does this make me an inferior canal citizen, and why does this stop me caring about people who abuse them? Not to mention the fact that I intend to spend  lot more time on them in the future...

4. Ad hominem attacks are what people like THN and TWC always resort to when they've lost an argument on facts, or just because by attacking people they think they can divert the subject away from the real argument. Like Ange, I refuse to let these tactics stop me saying what I think is right, and keep saying it even if they don't  like it.

Won't dignify THC with any further replies, any more insults will go unread -- back to the naughty step he goes...

It wasnt an Ad hominem atack. It was an observation, something I have found quite amusing and curious in equal measure.

BTW as I have pointed out previously bagged dog poo 💩 often legitimately goes in ordinary waste bins so referencing that in the context of bagging human waste is an irrelevance.

7 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

And your boat is where ? and what sort of toilet do you have in your boat ? Why are you still posting ?

Yes I may have left the canals after 40 years of being on 'the ditch' but I still have a boat (or two) and may well return to the canals in the future when the 'sea gets too rough' for an old wrinkly. I would like to think I still care about it enough to have views on canal based subjects.

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

And your boat is where ? and what sort of toilet do you have in your boat ? Why are you still posting ?

Yes I may have left the canals after 40 years of being on 'the ditch' but I still have a boat (or two) and may well return to the canals in the future when the 'sea gets too rough' for an old wrinkly. I would like to think I still care about it enough to have views on canal based subjects.

I find that there is enough going on in life that affects me directly and personally that exhausting time on stuff that doesn't is wasted.

5 hours ago, Ange said:

I do wonder why those such as our dear beloved misnomered nomad are so obsessed with emojis at an age when they really should be past such obsession and if asked repeatedly insist they're of no consequence. 

(It's quite funny when I post a reaction to one of his posts I get a notification that he's posted reactions to four or five of my posts - he has to go back weeks sometimes - I don't post very often nowadays ☺️)  I just delete the notifications - it makes me chuckle and is very predictable. 

Happy rather than aggressive and confrontational would be so much better for a sense of well-being and radiates to those around you. I recommend it 🙂

When I post a laughing emoji it means it made me laugh, and I refuse to be bullied into not posting my feelings. 

I much prefer the old days when votes were anonymous - there are non confrontational posters who will feel unable to silently voice their opinion via an emoji because there are those that will attack them for daring to disagree.

I'll have a chat with Daniel, the loss of anonymity was never voted on and just happened with a forum upgrade.

Just to add, I normally add my reactions easily and reflecting how I feel about the post. I always hesitate and hover over our misnomered nomad, I know he'll have a hissy fit, but then I think that's his problem, why should I be less than honest with him? That's the definition of a bully.

Which is a shame.

He does the same with me

• Greenie 2

5 hours ago, Ange said:

Which is a shame.

I think you should reflect on some of your posts. All this talk from you of being positive and radiating well being is often, well shall we just say 'forgotten'.

3 minutes ago, rasputin said:

He does the same with me

In response to you doing exactly the same. Lets not play the innocent please.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

5 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

In response to you doing exactly the same. Lets not play the innocent please.

When someone posts complete boll ocks all the time I find it funny. I have never gone back through your posts adding emojis 

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, haggis said:

Just to be expected, I suppose. Someone who had a boat for a few years a while ago has much to say about a current problem on the waterways, which does not affect him , then when he gets bored and no one listens to his twopense worth, he starts making derogatory comments about others. When these posters retaliate, he has what he wanted all along, an argument where he gets the opportunity to show how clever he thinks he is. 

Not worth answering him, methinks. 

This behaviour is nothing new and has been a feature of his posts on here and the other place   and going by previous behaviour his next post will be to ask me to provide evidence of the behaviour I mention. He  will ask in vain as I have no intention of being one of his fall guys. 

Haggis

Do you feel better for getting that off your chest?

Its very strange, nay hypocritical that people complain about somebody being argumentative and complaining about 'behaviour' and then indulge in the very activity they are moaning about.

You actually couldn't make it up.

10 hours ago, Ianws said:

What difference would that make to the questions I've asked? 

It just sounds like a threat, when you say "I just think that if compost toilets are banned a lot of the stuff from cassettes ain't going to end up in a  Elsan............."

It's the sort of thing that we'd (I'd) expect a "composter" to say when there is a threat of them having their 'bat & ball' taken away from them, and just goes to show that all this "its is green, environmentally friendly etc" is just a load of hogwash if they are prepared to dispose of the contents of a cassette anywhere else apart from where it should be disposed of they show themselves up and display the real reasons "its free and it means I don't have to leave my 14 day mooring for months"

10 hours ago, Ianws said:

...........it's not as simple as saying ban composting toilets through bss and that's the problem sorted

It is exactly that simple to resolve the problem.

Why should a very, very small minority dictate the policies of C&RT and financially affect 99% of boat owners.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 2

30 minutes ago, haggis said:

Just to be expected, I suppose. Someone who had a boat for a few years a while ago has much to say about a current problem on the waterways, which does not affect him , then when he gets bored and no one listens to his twopense worth, he starts making derogatory comments about others. When these posters retaliate, he has what he wanted all along, an argument where he gets the opportunity to show how clever he thinks he is. 

Not worth answering him, methinks. 

This behaviour is nothing new and has been a feature of his posts on here and the other place   and going by previous behaviour his next post will be to ask me to provide evidence of the behaviour I mention. He  will ask in vain as I have no intention of being one of his fall guys. 

Haggis

Nobody listens to his 2p worth because it's almost always opinionated drivel with no factual basis, mixed with unpleasant personal attacks.

Like other posters whose only purpose is to stir up arguments -- or trolls, as they might justifiably be called -- the best response is nothing. When they get tired of shouting into an echoing void and getting no arguments back because nobody's taking any notice of them, maybe they'll go somewhere else where people rise to the bait more often, like The Other Place.

I expect to see several "You've chosen to ignore content by The Happy Nomad. Options " notifications shortly, which I'll ignore as usual... 😉

This thread is now disintegrating into a bat and ball fight. Nothing new is being added. This exert from NBW presumably a C&RT press release re the new contractor suggests there may be a solution to satisfy all. (Well maybe not all on here).

"It has now awarded Reconomy the waterways contract for not only collection of general waste but also to manage the collection, processing, and disposal of hazardous waste materials across the waterways, Alan Tilbury reports.

Introduce a range

Under the contract terms Reconomy tells it will introduce a range of waste management services and systems to safeguard against the impact of hazardous waste, improving the experiences of all those using Britain’s waterways."

Hopefully this includes poo bags, oil, batteries, fridges and nuclear waste.

In the meanwhile live and let live

1 minute ago, Midnight said:

This thread is now disintegrating into a bat and ball fight. Nothing new is being added. This exert from NBW presumably a C&RT press release re the new contractor suggests there may be a solution to satisfy all. (Well maybe not all on here).

"It has now awarded Reconomy the waterways contract for not only collection of general waste but also to manage the collection, processing, and disposal of hazardous waste materials across the waterways, Alan Tilbury reports.

Introduce a range

Under the contract terms Reconomy tells it will introduce a range of waste management services and systems to safeguard against the impact of hazardous waste, improving the experiences of all those using Britain’s waterways."

Hopefully this includes poo bags, oil, batteries, fridges and nuclear waste.

In the meanwhile live and let live

Yes it is good news for things like fridges and old oil BUT the subject of this thread is NOT Hazardous Waste, it is OFFENSIVE WASTE and is treated very differently to either 'General Waste' or 'Hazardous Waste'

I posted (a couple of pages back) the legal requirements for handling 'offensive waste' (which Dr Bob had kindly posted months ago)

Maximum of 1 bag, of 7Kg in the Genaeral Waste (and the bag should be a "Tiger Stripe" bag to indicate offensive waste), or, should be in a dedicated offensive waste bin.

43 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Do you feel better for getting that off your chest?

Its very strange, nay hypocritical that people complain about somebody being argumentative and complaining about 'behaviour' and then indulge in the very activity they are moaning about.

You actually couldn't make it up.

Wibble wibble

https://imgur.com/t/funny/Bp2vJau

Edited by matty40s
  • Happy 1
  • Haha 1