The state of the market for used boats.

Featured Posts

If anybody is any doubt as to the buoyant sate of the used boat market, just visit Rugby boats web site.

As at 30/01/21 out of 30 boats currently listed 29 are marked as sold on under offer.

The only one showing as still available is a big Aquiline wide-beam, and even that may be gone now too, just not updated as such.

https://rugbyboats.co.uk/

38 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

If anybody is any doubt as to the buoyant sate of the used boat market, just visit Rugby boats web site.

As at 30/01/21 out of 30 boats currently listed 29 are marked as sold on under offer.

The only one showing as still available is a big Aquiline wide-beam, and even that may be gone now too, just not updated as such.

https://rugbyboats.co.uk/

I wonder why, when people currently can't visit them or take them anywhere. As i understand it, no one is allowed to move on a boat at the moment unless they're already living on board and need to get to shops or to a sanny station.

So, what is causing this sales rush?

They are seeing similar figures in the caravan, motorhome and mobile home market (*)at the moment, presumably because people are realising that foreign travel might be more difficult in the future.

* For example, there have been several planning applications for extensions to mobile home sites around here.

• Greenie 1

The realisation that all holidays are going to be in the UK for the foreseeable future?

16 minutes ago, Athy said:

I wonder why, when people currently can't visit them or take them anywhere. As i understand it, no one is allowed to move on a boat at the moment unless they're already living on board and need to get to shops or to a sanny station.

how are people actually buying boats that they cant even visit? same for sellers who need to move their boat to marina or wherever they need to keep the boat... 

also there was some post of workers being let go at rugby boats(hope I remember it correctly)

Edited by restlessnomad

11 minutes ago, Athy said:

'Cos few / anyone is taking a blind bit of notice about  lockdown etc - Seemples. Apart from folks who really take the bodily fluids - and get caught, had fines issued and probably wont pay anyway...

8 minutes ago, Athy said:

Some/most of the listed boats were from last summer. Rugby Boats didn't have many for sale at any one time and was very efficient at selling them. Not many have gone on the market anywhere since, for the reasons you mentioned.

Winter and lockdowns may have had an effect on sales since then. Elsewhere, there is a very nice boat I looked at in September for nearly £40k which is now £35k and apparently still unsold,. At the time I looked at it the broker chuckled and said "you'd be lucky to knock £500 off it in this market", Then again, maybe its October survey found some issues.... and somebody actually bought the boat posted on here that Venetian wouldn't let anyone look at without paying a deposit!

• Greenie 1

45 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

The realisation that all holidays are going to be in the UK for the foreseeable future?

Possibly. Or Dominic Cummings has been on a buying spree.

41 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

'Cos few / anyone is taking a blind bit of notice about  lockdown etc - Seemples. Apart from folks who really take the bodily fluids - and get caught, had fines issued and probably wont pay anyway...

A very jaundiced point of view! I think most people are obeying the rules, though you'll always get one or two who think that the rules don't apply to them.

I have been gradually looking for the right boat since this time last year and I think the actual turnover is slow. Watching Apolloduck, the number of new adverts that pop up each week in my price bracket is very small. I suspect that lots of people who considered selling theirs have hung on just in case holidays remain UK bound or have found the thought of dealing with viewings too stressful. I am hoping that once lockdown does start to ease we will see much more becoming available. 

Of course, it is possible that things are not even making it onto the websites, if brokers have waiting lists of potential buyers!

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Most high value items seem to be selling well at the moment, with the exception of cars it seems. But boats, caravans motorhomes all seem to be selling well.

Even houses around our way are selling quickly, including one particular one that had been on the market for ages. Though that will be due to the forthcoming end to the stamp duty holiday I would say.

13 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Even houses around our way are selling quickly, including one particular one that had been on the market for ages. Though that will be due to the forthcoming end to the stamp duty holiday I would say.

Yes, that makes sense. Maybe the buyers reckon it's the only holiday they'll get this year.

1 hour ago, restlessnomad said:

how are people actually buying boats that they cant even visit? same for sellers who need to move their boat to marina or wherever they need to keep the boat... 

also there was some post of workers being let go at rugby boats(hope I remember it correctly)

For people moving onto boats to liveaboard, either from another boat, selling house, or moving back from abroad, both safe viewings and sales are allowed. 

People are allowed by CRT to move boats to brokerages where essential, realising estate proceeds, or loss of job and earnings forcing sale both come into these categories.

It was ABNB where staff were let go in Nov/ December.

1 hour ago, enigmatic said:

Some/most of the listed boats were from last summer. Rugby Boats didn't have many for sale at any one time and was very efficient at selling them. Not many have gone on the market anywhere since, for the reasons you mentioned.

Winter and lockdowns may have had an effect on sales since then.

Rugby Boats has like all brokerages, seen a slowing of boats coming to market both due to lockdown, and also to people hanging onto their safe holiday home for another year.

20 minutes ago, RuthE said:

Of course, it is possible that things are not even making it onto the websites, if brokers have waiting lists of potential buyers!

This really IS the case, most boats coming to market now(if priced sensibly) will sell within 24 hours of going live on websites, some before....as the waiting lists do seem to have a few favourite types of boats.

Maybe people like the idea of their own space - not used by anyone else like a B&B/Hotel etc?  I wonder if Covid will change the holiday mindset going forward?

With the awful savings rates maybe more people are valuing experiences and ability to get away at short notice, which, lets face it is a necessity at the moment with lockdown on/off tiers up and down etc.. all very unpredictable...

Edited by robtheplod

Any boat that has been on sale for 3 months or more now is either overpriced, has had a sale resulting in it coming back to market, or a complete dog......sometimes a combination.

Whilton, down to 8 boats(including a plastic tender) would normally have a massive selection to go and view.

ABNB a few more, but most of those off site, creating massive viewing issues, again, very little new, the last few email updates have featured Available Again a lot with no new stock. They have also been marketing boats in the previously 'Whilton' bracket, just to keep sales throughput going.

GreatHaywood, difficult to tell as they are not good at updating website.

53 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Any boat that has been on sale for 3 months or more now is either overpriced, has had a sale resulting in it coming back to market, or a complete dog......sometimes a combination.

Whilton, down to 8 boats(including a plastic tender) would normally have a massive selection to go and view.

ABNB a few more, but most of those off site, creating massive viewing issues, again, very little new, the last few email updates have featured Available Again a lot with no new stock. They have also been marketing boats in the previously 'Whilton' bracket, just to keep sales throughput going.

I think it should be noted that 2 of the 8 boats on sale, have been reduced in price. One by a hefty £10,000. 

Brokers and sellers are, understandably, capatalising on the current goings on.  If this doesn't exemplify the extent of this then I don't know what does:

https://www.greathaywoodboatsales.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Razzle-Dazzle-Brochure-2-1.pdf

For sale in July 2020 - £50K

An almost identical boat came up at Rugby Boats last week, arguably in worse condition for £70K and sold immediately

https://rugbyboats.co.uk/listings/summer-mist-stunning-58-trad-2006-severn-narrowboats/

I'm sure it won't last.  The rationale I keep hearing for the demand is down to people not being able to go on holiday.  That's something I just can't get my head around.  If it's true then I'd imagine over the next 12 months pleanty of these will be back on the market once the reality of owning and running a boat has taken hold.

4 hours ago, enigmatic said:

Winter and lockdowns may have had an effect on sales since then. Elsewhere, there is a very nice boat I looked at in September for nearly £40k which is now £35k and apparently still unsold,. At the time I looked at it the broker chuckled and said "you'd be lucky to knock £500 off it in this market", Then again, maybe its October survey found some issues.... and somebody actually bought the boat posted on here that Venetian wouldn't let anyone look at without paying a deposit!

That was me.  I was on the phone to them when the boat had only been on the market literally 5 minutes.  This was late in the afternoon.  I was told that I couldn't view unless I paid a deposit and even then a viewing would only be allowed at survey time.  I explained it would be for residential use and despite them going away to check for any exemptions after I explained other brokers were allowing viewings for residential sales, it was still a no.

At 10:00 the following morning it was under offer and is now sold.  I've seen some pictures of it in dry dock having been blacked and presumably surveyed.  So it's worked out for somebody.

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

Great Haywood have next to nothing too.  Anything on the website which appears available has either been sold or withdrawn, so they tell me, but don't alter the website.  Presumably to drawn you in and get your details on their register.

Edited by NB DW

2 minutes ago, NB DW said:

That was me.  I was on the phone to them when the boat had only been on the market literally 5 minutes.  This was late in the afternoon.  I was told that I couldn't view unless I paid a deposit and even then a viewing would only be allowed at survey time.  I explained it would be for residential use and despite them going away to check for any exemptions after I explained other brokers were allowing viewings for residential sales, it was still a no.

At 10:00 the following morning it was under offer and is now sold.  I've seen some pictures of it in dry dock having been blacked and presumably surveyed.  So it's worked out for somebody.

I think you made the right decision. Buying a boat in that price range based on photos is madness. 

Venetian's COVID policies were very strict, but based on that timing I have a sneaking suspicion they already knew somebody wanted to buy that boat and decided to save themselves the risk of showing others round...

Just now, enigmatic said:

I think you made the right decision. Buying a boat in that price range based on photos is madness. 

Venetian's COVID policies were very strict, but based on that timing I have a sneaking suspicion they already knew somebody wanted to buy that boat and decided to save themselves the risk of showing others round...

Thanks.  I definitely don't regret it not progressing it.  And having seen more photos since I don't much like the wraparound bow - the steel lines where it's been extended look really obvious to me.

In fairness to Whilton, out of all the brokers I've been in touch with and sent details over my likes, dislikes, budget and 'ready to go' position, they've been one of the few that have acknowledged it and since been in touch about a boat that's coming to market next week that meets my criteria.  They're happy to send photos ahead of it arriving and will let me know just ahead of it arriving so I can view, should I wish to.

One Cheshire based broker who I sold my boat via the summer of last year didn't even bother to acknowledge it despite personalising the message to jog their memory of our previous dealings.

Its no great surprise people are looking at doing things that don't involve leaving the country and involve the ability to keep reasonably isolated in a private space.

A  result of Covid with a little Brexit thrown in.

A good time to sell a boat and probably not a good time to buy.

I will be putting my boat for sale later this year. Probably april/may so quite soon realy. If anyone is looking for a decent sized boat instead of tiny 57 footers that is properly fitted from new as a liveaboard 2008 on a colecraft shell at a sensible price to genuine non tyre kicking buyers then Im yer man. I will probably be using the broker I have used in the past as they sort tyre kickers out and sunday afternoon nowt better to do types. Not advertising it on here yet but any genuine buyer can pm me for details.