Jim Shead's Site Hijacked?

Mac of Cygnet

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, malp said:

His boat listing site has been here at Canal Plan for a long time.  I don't know what may have happened to the rest of it though.

Am I right to recall that the reason why he transferred that facility was so that he could abandon the rest of his stuff, knowing that this was the most well used part?

Looks as if the listing is now well out of date as well, alas.

Edited by Mike Todd

I  have not contacted Jim for a number of years. He was the webmaster for the earlier RCHS site and I had dealings with him on uploading images for transport interest. But that site was superseded by the present RCHS website.  His canal information pages, based on much what could be found in published sources was a great help to researchers.

jim shead.jpg

6 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

What has happened to Jim Shead's site?  http://jim-shead.com/waterways/   All I get is a pageful of characters in a far eastern language.

The same happened to my site when the transfer I paid for failed and someone else got it. I hope he gets lots of emails about boats

6 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

Am I right to recall that the reason why he transferred that facility was so that he could abandon the rest of his stuff, knowing that this was the most well used part?

No. You are completely wrong.

Jim had run the boat listing for some time, having obtained the information from BW and EA under the Freedom of Information Act. A boater on the Thames objected to his info being published, complained to Jim's web hosting company who took his site down. It was only after quite a lot of protest, in which Jim was supported by someone who has professional knowledge in this area, that his website was reinstated. Sunsequently the Attys, who run canalplan, offered to host the listing themselves, and I think Jim was relieved to hand over the responsibility, so he could just keep the rest of his website going.

It was mentioned on here not so long ago that Jim has been unwell lately and is no longer maintaining the site. It went down for a while, then was back up again, but I am not really surprised that it is now no longer available.