Project: third age; living aboard

barry pierce

Featured Posts

36 minutes ago, dmr said:

I have seen one typical Colecraft, a little newer than this, which is probably worth no more than £25,000. 

Where do people find Colecrafts under 20 years old for 25k on the current market? If so, I'll have a couple please to flip at a quick 15k profit (and I'm only half joking...)

FWIW Euromarine's quote for my 20 year old boat was competitive even with Craftinsure although unlike other quotes was based on the assumption that I couldn't let anyone else handle the boat

27 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

Where do people find Colecrafts under 20 years old for 25k on the current market? If so, I'll have a couple please to flip at a quick 15k profit (and I'm only half joking...)

FWIW Euromarine's quote for my 20 year old boat was competitive even with Craftinsure although unlike other quotes was based on the assumption that I couldn't let anyone else handle the boat

The Colecraft was a few years ago, before the current rush, and had spent many years in the hands of a "boatlord", rented to various people who did zero maintenance . Boats go down hill quickly with zero maintenance. ?

Euromarine are mostly salty water people and do have some unusual clauses, I had to negotiate for (occasional) single handing, and this was limited to (I think) 14 hours continuous maximum.

They were competitive (for agreed value) but then did a big price hike so I moved back to Towergate. Euro came back with a better quote but it was too late, but I will likely move back to them next year.

...............Dave

3 minutes ago, dmr said:

The Colecraft was a few years ago, before the current rush, and had spent many years in the hands of a "boatlord", rented to various people who did zero maintenance . Boats go down hill quickly with zero maintenance. ?

Euromarine are mostly salty water people and do have some unusual clauses, I had to negotiate for (occasional) single handing, and this was limited to (I think) 14 hours continuous maximum.

They were competitive (for agreed value) but then did a big price hike so I moved back to Towergate. Euro came back with a better quote but it was too late, but I will likely move back to them next year.

...............Dave

Mine is :

3.7.5 single handed for more than 18 hours in any 24 hour period;

But I'm unlikely to manage more than 18 hours at a time.

Give these people a call, as well as 'offshore' boats they do Narrowboats, Aircraft, Helicopters, House, Tradesmen, Travel, & Car Insurance

We arrange insurance for Yachts, Cruisers, Narrowboats, Dinghies, Speedboats and other water related craft.

Our main schemes only accept craft based in the United Kingdom, Europe and the Mediterranean.

We now also welcome enquiries for New Zealand based craft.

We can assist you whether you require a Comprehensive cover or just Third Party only (Public Liability), a cruising policy, laid up or a fitting out/under construction policy.

We are entirely independent and are always willing to provide advice.

Policies are arranged with Lloyd's and/or U.K General Insurance Companies

http://www.traffords-insurance.co.uk/pleasurecraft/4594242734

15 hours ago, barry pierce said:

water line is far from parallel with the rubbing strake - it's closer to being parallel with the base plate

I thought it was just the angle of the photo, but having looked at it again, you are right.  

that is a very unusual arrangement in my experience. 

hull sides are normally made from a simple rectangular sheet so that the gunwale (and rubbing strakes) are parallel to the base plate over the length of the main body.

11 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

I thought it was just the angle of the photo, but having looked at it again, you are right.  

that is a very unusual arrangement in my experience. 

hull sides are normally made from a simple rectangular sheet so that the gunwale (and rubbing strakes) are parallel to the base plate over the length of the main body.

Builder was Paul Widdowson who, I believe, has a good reputation

12 hours ago, dmr said:

I suspect it depends on who you speak to on the phone.

We have used Towergate but then moved to Euromarine to get the agreed valued bit.

We then moved back to Towergate as Euromarine upped the price rather a lot.

Towergate were good for a year but then said they don't do agreed value, when I pointed out that they did they said they would but only for one more year without a survey.

Towergate have given a trading endorsement at no extra cost in the past.

I spoke to Craftinsure last year but either trading or agreed value was a problem, can't remember which.

These named companies are all only brokers and a lot depends on what the actual insurers say.

We have had a few refusals on the basis "we don't do commercial insurance" but I suspect if we could just speak to somebody who realised a roving trader was not really "commercial" then all would be well.

Insurance brokers are banging your head against a brick wall.

"Will you insure my car, its left hand drive?"

They say, "we have to ask you some questions first", half hour on the phone giving car and personal details, very last question "is it left hand drive?" I reply "yes" and they say "we don't do left hand drive".

..................Dave

Michael Stimpson is doing boat insurance again if you want to speak to someone who knows what they are talking about. His name is a Facebook link to him

8 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Michael Stimpson is doing boat insurance again if you want to speak to someone who knows what they are talking about. His name is a Facebook link to him

Is he linked in with Towergate again, somebody else, or independent?

...............Dave

49 minutes ago, dmr said:

Is he linked in with Towergate again, somebody else, or independent?

...............Dave

Not Towergate as he contacted my just after I had renewed with them, I think he is probably with a broker as he indicated to me that he had several products available.

5 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Having had a catch on one boat it's a big no no for any boat of mine now. Catch and pram hoods are never allowed. 

i can see the plus side of a nice dry well deck, but they must surely hamper mooring when you can't just nip onto the front without a huge stretch, mind you i also don't get how folk want gas in the bow locker either which again must be even harder when trying to do that with a cratch in the way as well.

• Greenie 1

23 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

i can see the plus side of a nice dry well deck, but they must surely hamper mooring when you can't just nip onto the front without a huge stretch, mind you i also don't get how folk want gas in the bow locker either which again must be even harder when trying to do that with a cratch in the way as well.

Yep, they are a pain especially if gas is in the pointy bit. 

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Not Towergate as he contacted my just after I had renewed with them, I think he is probably with a broker as he indicated to me that he had several products available.

Michael left Towergate a while ago and went independent for a couple of years. He is now working with Circle Marine Insurance.

"We offer some great benefits, in fact, GJW Direct Narrowboat and Barge Policy covers you for an agreed fixed value which is not subject to the vessel’s market value! "

Been with them for donkeys years, with both yachts and narrowboats. I had one claim due to stress of weather in French marina. Claim settled over the phone quickly and eficiently. I can recommend them.

Edited by sailor0500
  • Greenie 1

On 10/11/2020 at 22:43, dmr said:

I would say a cratch is essential on this design of boat, but if you did take a wave it would be a big problem. Glazed cratchboards are common and I am not sure how they would handle a serious wave.  I am surprised Reeves used the piping to the back scheme, I thought it was limited to much older boats, though 1998 is now quite old.

..............Dave

The 2002 Reeves shareboat we used to have had similar. I think it is part and parcel of the low Reeves "Bantock inspired" bow.

The problem with this design is when the piping to the stern begins to leak unnoticed under the cabin floor...

Edited by cuthound
Clarification