How much leccy I've used.

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

Being stuck in the Marina due to the wind and rain and storm Alex I decided to go 100% electric for a few days.

in just over 2 days we have used 40Kw (as measured by the meter on our bollard) at 18p/kw = £7.20

All 230v

That includes :

1 days of cabin heating by thermostat controlled electric heaters. + 8 hours by Eberspacher (10 amps at 12v supplied via battery charger)

Toaster for breakfast (2 x 5 minutes)

About 10 kettle boils per day

Microwave 2 x 5 minutes

Air Fryer (2x 35 minutes)

Battery charger 48 hours

Laptop (25 hours)

2x Phone chargers

Kindle charger

Tablet charger

Lights (LED)

TV

Immersion heater (3 hours each night and morning)

230v Freezer

12v Fridge (batteries charged by mains battery charger)

There will have been some Solar input into the batteries, but not a lot due to the rain.

Totals 174Ah over 48 hours, or 87Ah per day.

When running off 12v I'd 'calculated and estimated' that we we used about 100Ah per day. Better to over estimate and be 'on the safe side'.

Running the air fryers off the batteries via the inverter would be 'expensive' as it is 1400w which running for an hour would be 140Ah out of the batteries, running the electric heaters (2kw) would be even worse - OK they are on thermostats but if just on for a total of two hours per day, that would be 400Ah per day.

The kettle at 900 watts (10x 5 minutes per day) would be another 90 Ah

Its easy to understand why an 'all electric cruising boat' is not practical without having onboard generation

Obviously we would normally have used the gas hob to boil the kettle, the grill to do the toast and the oven to cook the meals.

• Haha 1

We are gas free with built-in gennie and cook electric. When on a shoreline we use around £3.50 a day.

So much the same as Alan but substitute oven and induction hob for his air fryer and microwave.

We have solid fuel stove so no electric heating but do have washing machine, tumble dryer and dishwasher.

Edited by pearley

I have consumed  £32 on electricity for the boat  since the beginning of April . 

We use an electric kettle when in the marina , sometimes use a fan heater rather than the Eberspacher , but haven't used the Eber much,  sometimes electric blanket . Cooking is on gas and we have eaten in a lot more than usual due to Covid.  . Immersion heater is always on while we are on board in the marina.

We have consumed about £63 on gas as its via those very expensive campingaz refills.

Not sure  what that comes to per day exactly but probably not much different to numbers noted above.

My electric consumption will be greater over the winter as I use  a dehumidifier, usually starting  from  November through to early March .

Edited by MartynG
forgot about immersion heater

1 hour ago, pearley said:

We are gas free with built-in gennie and book electric. When on a shoreline we use around £3.50 a day.

So much the same as Alan but substitute oven and induction hob for his air fryer and microwave.

We have solid fuel stove so no electric heating but do have washing machine, tumble dryer and dishwasher.

when we were hooked up at our old mooring we used to use around 35p a day .

1 minute ago, pearley said:

All electric or cooking by gas and using marina washing and drying machines?

we have gas, cooking and water heating is gas.

washing done on board, usual stuff, leccy kettle, TV. Phone charging.

we used a little more in winter as battery charger was connected .

On 04/10/2020 at 15:12, MartynG said:

My electric consumption will be greater over the winter as I use  a dehumidifier, usually starting  from  November through to early March .

I had wondered about dehumidifier but on a boat that's constantly surrounded by water and hence water vapour decided it was probably a waste of electricity.

10 minutes ago, George and Dragon said:

I had wondered about dehumidifier but on a boat that's constantly surrounded by water and hence water vapour decided it was probably a waste of electricity.

The dehumidifier  does keep the interior feeling drier than would be the case with no dehumidifier . 

On 04/10/2020 at 14:11, Alan de Enfield said:

Being stuck in the Marina due to the wind and rain and storm Alex I decided to go 100% electric for a few days.

in just over 2 days we have used 40Kw (as measured by the meter on our bollard) at 18p/kw = £7.20

All 230v

That includes :

1 days of cabin heating by thermostat controlled electric heaters. + 8 hours by Eberspacher (10 amps at 12v supplied via battery charger)

Toaster for breakfast (2 x 5 minutes)

About 10 kettle boils per day

Microwave 2 x 5 minutes

Air Fryer (2x 35 minutes)

Battery charger 48 hours

Laptop (25 hours)

2x Phone chargers

Kindle charger

Tablet charger

Lights (LED)

TV

Immersion heater (3 hours each night and morning)

230v Freezer

12v Fridge (batteries charged by mains battery charger)

There will have been some Solar input into the batteries, but not a lot due to the rain.

Totals 174Ah over 48 hours, or 87Ah per day.

When running off 12v I'd 'calculated and estimated' that we we used about 100Ah per day. Better to over estimate and be 'on the safe side'.

Running the air fryers off the batteries via the inverter would be 'expensive' as it is 1400w which running for an hour would be 140Ah out of the batteries, running the electric heaters (2kw) would be even worse - OK they are on thermostats but if just on for a total of two hours per day, that would be 400Ah per day.

The kettle at 900 watts (10x 5 minutes per day) would be another 90 Ah

Its easy to understand why an 'all electric cruising boat' is not practical without having onboard generation

Obviously we would normally have used the gas hob to boil the kettle, the grill to do the toast and the oven to cook the meals.

I am still running dishwasher and washing machine plus kettle etc, if I am not cruising all my solar goes to domestic batteries and immersion heater so it can be done.  I have the Rayburn which in winter does hot water and heating it uses 25 kilos of anthracite every 2 days less in autumn and spring as I use wood as well. The whispergen is normally used for fast heat when I have been away and the oil fired bubble if I haven't lit the Rayburn. I put 299 litres of kerosene in the main tank and bubble tank last year most of it is still left in the main tank, I will siphon some off for the bubble at some point but no need at the moment 

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, George and Dragon said:

I use a dehumidifier to keep my boat dry over winter. Costs peanuts compared to leaving the stove on 24/7.

If using a dehumidifier don't forget to block as much ventilation as you can, or the dehumidifier will try and dehumidify the world and cost a fortune to run.

I block the mushroom vents with bath sponges folded in half, blutac cardboard over the low level louvres and run the dehumidifer drain pipe into the sink. If the dehumidifier only has a tank you will havevto empty the condensate tank every few day.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I use a dehumidifier to keep my boat dry over winter. Costs peanuts compared to leaving the stove on 24/7.

If using a dehumidifier don't forget to block as much ventilation as you can, or the dehumidifier will try and dehumidify the world and cost a fortune to run.

I block the mushroom vents with bath sponges folded in half, blutac cardboard over the low level louvres and run the dehumidifer drain pipe into the sink. If the dehumidifier only has a tank you will havevto empty the condensate tank every few day.

The one we have (I forgot to add it on the list) has a tank and it needs emptying pretty much every day at present.

The one we had on the NB discharged via a pipe and it could stand on the draining board and the pipe ran out into the sink and overboard.

6 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I block the mushroom vents with bath sponges folded in half, blutac cardboard over the low level louvres and run the dehumidifer drain pipe into the sink. 

That's true but if the drain freezes while the water inside the boat remains liquid that could be an issue .

The dehumidifier cuts out when the tank is full.  I don't feel a need for the dehumidifier to be running 7 days a week . The boat is local to home visit the boat regularly even if not using it.

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

That's true but if the drain freezes while the water inside the boat remains liquid that could be an issue .

The dehumidifier cuts out when the tank is full.  I don't feel a need for the dehumidifier to be running 7 days a week . The boat is local to home visit the boat regularly even if not using it.

I also have a couple of strategically placed 700 watt oil filled electric radiators controlled by a thermostatic plug set to 5°C to prevent the inside of the boat freezing.

My boat is a 30 second walk from the house! ?

6 hours ago, cuthound said:

I also have a couple of strategically placed 700 watt oil filled electric radiators controlled by a thermostatic plug set to 5°C to prevent the inside of the boat freezing.

My boat is a 30 second walk from the house! ?

I use a couple of frost protection heaters too, also set to 5 degrees. In recent winters with the boat in the water I don t think they have cut in very often.

I  did lose a shower head to frost once . I think it was 2012 (maybe). There was 4 inches of ice on the marina water .