Anti vandal key alternative?

manicpb

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, manicpb said:

Yeah just a box spanner, struggling! They do just push in and turn?

My other alternative is wait for another boat and tail them through them. Do all 3 locks at Minworth have them?

Yes they do - hence the box sdpanner is quite a challenge - shove a long small screwdriver up inside the box spanner.

(It's so long since we've done any proper boating that I've forgotten the wrinkles)

Cheers everyone, got through all 3. I was expecting a few "shouldn't be out cruising without the appropriate equipment" comments...but pleasantly surprised!

I never intended to go through them today but arrived at Curdworth around 2pm and didn't really want to moor up so early.

Fires on now, midway into Perry Barr locks. Had better moorings but happy for the night.

19 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Just wait for a local youth to come along and they will probably be able to unlock the anti vandal and raise the paddle without any "official" equipment.

We suspect most of the "vandalism" that drains pounds around Wigan is a boater with a grudge against CRT.

At the very least the "vandal" carries a handcuff key, a watermate key and a windlass.

Letting people know what very common toolbox item can be substituted won't make the idiots less idiotic.

17 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

We suspect most of the "vandalism" that drains pounds around Wigan is a boater with a grudge against CRT.

At the very least the "vandal" carries a handcuff key, a watermate key and a windlass.

Letting people know what very common toolbox item can be substituted won't make the idiots less idiotic.

Is that a reprimand?  I was answering the question.

28 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I doubt that they're intelligent enough to read,or if they are...intelligent enough to understand what they've read !

14 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Is that a reprimand?  I was answering the question.

Far from it, it was a response to Rob.

Re-read the bit that says

37 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

If they are going to be idiots, they will be idiots regardless.  If they are not idiots the information might help.

In fact, I'll go further than you did:. It's the drive end of a 1/4" socket extension bar, with anything you like to give a decent grip on the other end, or for the very  irritating unscrew 50 turns fittings a power screwdriver!

We once had help through Factory locks by a couple of kids who took a socket extension bar and a wrench from their rucksack and had the paddles up in no time. They seemed to just want to help the boats through the locks though.

1 hour ago, manicpb said:

Cheers everyone, got through all 3. I was expecting a few "shouldn't be out cruising without the appropriate equipment" comments...but pleasantly surprised!

I never intended to go through them today but arrived at Curdworth around 2pm and didn't really want to moor up so early.

Fires on now, midway into Perry Barr locks. Had better moorings but happy for the night.

You will need it up there as well, also above the looks is quite weedy 

Edited by ditchcrawler

17 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

You will need it up there as well, also above the looks is quite weedy 

Yeah I read that thread when it was active and decided to look the other way! I want to be in the area for when my lad starts school, so I've gotta just go for it and hope for the best. The few I've been through on the Perry Barr flight have either been removed or open but I've got my screwdrivers ready!!!

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, manicpb said:

Yeah I read that thread when it was active and decided to look the other way! I want to be in the area for when my lad starts school, so I've gotta just go for it and hope for the best. The few I've been through on the Perry Barr flight have either been removed or open but I've got my screwdrivers ready!!!

We should be at the other end about Tuesday

Don't really want to write a trip report but thought a couple on this thread could be interested.

Top of Perry Barr locks to Rushall junction is a feckin nightmare. Probably around 4 hours with 2 trips into the weed hatch (only for weed, no bags or owt). Rushall Canal, although still weedy, isn't to bad with the odd blast of reverse to clear the prop.

I am considering adjusting my plans now though, is the main line from Ocker Hill back to Salford Junction a good run...or is weed and issue again?

On 30/08/2020 at 18:04, ditchcrawler said:

The Birmingham Main Lines are fine. dont know what its like from Ocker Hill as we haven't got there yet, we are on the curley wherley heading for the top of Walsall locks

Where are you now, we were at Ocker Hill last night and did Riders Green today

11 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Where are you now, we were at Ocker Hill last night and did Riders Green today

Not moved far, been at the boathouse pub in Rushall for the past couple of nights. My lad finishes his first week of school at lunch today (reduced hours to start off with!) and we'll head up to Aldridge Marina before reaching Pelsall for the weekend, and a Sunday dinner at my parents.

Although it's only half hour from Longwood, I inspected the prop after arriving at the Boathouse and was clear of any weed at all!

How's Birchills to Ocker Hill? I've definitely decided I'll be heading into Brum and out again rather than head back down the Tame Valley!!!

We had no real problems with weed after Longwood, picked up some crap  on the Walsall canal and also the Wyrley and Essington, 2 or 3  trips down per day. Moored overnight in Ocker Hill moorings , just inside on the right, reserved for &RT who don't use it now. Walsall and Riders green locks all worked well with no problem. about 50 yards f silt just north of Moorcroft Junction that was a bit sticky.

• Greenie 1