Macclesfield Pubs

Featured Posts

It’s lashing down here, on and off. 
So it’s a pub day. 

Anyone recommend a good boozer?
Not bothered about food, just after good beer at a decent price in a pub with no frills. 

Walking in to town. 
Been the Puss Boots before, not on my list to visit again.  

cheers ?

2 minutes ago, Goliath said:

It’s lashing down here, on and off. 
So it’s a pub day. 

Anyone recommend a good boozer?
Not bothered about food, just after good beer at a decent price in a pub with no frills. 

Walking in to town. 
Been the Puss Boots before, not on my list to visit again.  

cheers ?

The 'Bosnian Arms' so rough even Kate Adie wouldn't go there. Cracking pint, though it's been a few years since I visited 

Not been there for ages. Assume you are walking down from the aqueduct moorings?  There was one on the road Bridge (over the railway) that always looked like a proper boozer but I never tried it, might even be called the Railway??? further in but a bit before town was a pub on a corner on the right side of the road, a tiny bit modernised and trendy but they did very good beer and gave discount if you drank lots of strong ones.

............Dave

Red Willow is closed. ☹️

19 minutes ago, dmr said:

Not been there for ages. Assume you are walking down from the aqueduct moorings?  There was one on the road Bridge (over the railway) that always looked like a proper boozer but I never tried it, might even be called the Railway??? further in but a bit before town was a pub on a corner on the right side of the road, a tiny bit modernised and trendy but they did very good beer and gave discount if you drank lots of strong ones.

............Dave

Queen’s Head opposite station. 
The other corner pub is closed. 

9 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Red Willow is closed. ☹️

Queen’s Head opposite station. 
The other corner pub is closed. 

Thats a shame, they did good beer, I think they did cheese too?

Whats ye olde kinges heade like (right below the moorings)? It used to be just about ok but changed hands and was just about not ok?

There is a Brunning and Price pub in the Manor House opposite the moorings, mostly food and expensive beer but nice building so worth a look.

..............Dave

1 hour ago, Leemc said:

Wouldn't call Bollington beers "mainstream", if you want Fosters, Carlberg, Doom Bar or John Smiths don't go there?

In my book the stuff you have named is all mass produced. By mainstream I meant made with traditional ingredients.

Bollington Best, Dinner Ale, Long Hop etc are mainstream because they aren't Citrus hoppy beers. Bollington Best is one of my favourite mainstream pints. 

Having said that I do like the citrus IPA and APA that Red Willow does and the coffee breakfast stout caused me to get stuck on the wrong side of a stoppage at Bosley last September. They were just hammering home the last plank as we arrived at the bridgehole. That extra last pint caused me to be stuck for three days in the middle of nowhere. 

21 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

In my book the stuff you have named is all mass produced. By mainstream I meant made with traditional ingredients.

Bollington Best, Dinner Ale, Long Hop etc are mainstream because they aren't Citrus hoppy beers. Bollington Best is one of my favourite mainstream pints. 

Having said that I do like the citrus IPA and APA that Red Willow does and the coffee breakfast stout caused me to get stuck on the wrong side of a stoppage at Bosley last September. They were just hammering home the last plank as we arrived at the bridgehole. That extra last pint caused me to be stuck for three days in the middle of nowhere. 

Well I’m not getting stuck today ☹️

Red Willow don’t open til tomorrow and the Park Tavern is shut too. 

We’ve dropped into the Last Orders, just down from the Tavern. It’s ok. Meets my pub standard. Unfortunately only one beer: Wainwright’s. But hey ho it’s wet and cheap. 

It’ll be a walk home after a few here with 1 in the Puss in Boots. 

6 minutes ago, jeanb said:

1. We're fans of Bollington Brewery ales and their brewery tap in Bollington.

2. Where is the Bosnian Arms?

I assumed the Bosnian was a joke ?

If you're walking along Sunderland Street (past the Treacle Tap) to go up to the Puss in Boots, turn left when you're opposite the station and go to the Waters Green Tavern. It's open now, and according to their last post on Facebook, they had two possibly interesting beers on. 

51 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

Sorry I get what you were saying now and you're making me thirsty! 

Bad luck Goliath, you would normally have hit a great place for few pints.

1 minute ago, Leemc said:

Sorry I get what you were saying now and you're making me thirsty! 

Bad luck Goliath, you would normally have hit a great place for few pints.

I’ll be back!

15 minutes ago, DaveandDebby said:

If you're walking along Sunderland Street (past the Treacle Tap) to go up to the Puss in Boots, turn left when you're opposite the station and go to the Waters Green Tavern. It's open now, and according to their last post on Facebook, they had two possibly interesting beers on. 

yes have decided to head there now. 

?

15 minutes ago, Goliath said:

yes have decided to head there now. 

?

Hope you like it! It always used to be what we would call a proper pub, but we're living in strange times at the moment, and places aren't quite what they used to be.

55 minutes ago, frangar said:

The Wharf pub is a nice back street boozer that had a delightful mild on last year when we were there but facebook says its still closed sadly

https://www.facebook.com/thewharfmacc/

I’ve given up for today. 

Left the Jolly Sailor and headed to the Wharf because it was on the shortest route to the boat (so didn’t go the Waters Green Tavern). The Wharf was shut it’s being decorated. 
So we thought we’d have one in the Puss in Boots. But they had no ale just lagers. So we left. 

so in all;

3 pubs open 

3 pubs closed

and 2 pubs with no beer. 

But thanks again for the pointers and will look them up over the coming week. 
I think in future I’ll ring ahead. 

The Jolly Sailor was very nice. 

My wife says the Waters Green Tavern is where she goes for decent beer, free house so always has guest beers. She's the beer drinker in this house. Prince of Wales was a Camra pub, no idea if it still is - I overdosed on whisky years ago and hardly drink now!