Mains connections..

Featured Posts

Hi All

I fitted my Galvanic Isolator today. The connector I was intending to use on the 16amp mains input looks a little flimsy and didn't look like a 16amp connector even though it stated it, so instead i fitted a 16amp chocolate block. Not really at ease with doing this as no cable restraints etc plus probably not BSS compliant?  Am I worrying unnecessarily or does this need changing and if so can anyone recommend anything suitable?  Thanks!!

20200719_073014.jpg

Don't worry about the BSS, the 230v stuff is 'advisory only' (Not a lot of people realise that !)

3.8.3 Are all shore‐power, battery charging, and other a.c. power source leads and  good condition?  A

Shore‐power, battery charging, and other a.c. power source lead cables must be free of:

• signs of damage or deterioration;

• repairs.

Shore‐power, battery charging, and other a.c. power source lead connectors must be complete, secured onto the cable with no inner conductors visible, and be free of:

• signs of damage or deterioration;

• repairs.

NOTE – do not disconnect shore‐power, battery charging

You could have the two ends twisted together  with no insulting-tape and you could not be 'failed'

• Greenie 1

Well I'd be happy to use it in our house, probably just about OK in the shed but I'd at least cover it and secure it with clips or clamps either side of the connecter block on the boat.

• Greenie 1

38 minutes ago, Bee said:

Well I'd be happy to use it in our house, probably just about OK in the shed but I'd at least cover it and secure it with clips or clamps either side of the connecter block on the boat.

I wouldn't It needs a proper enclosed connector.

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, BEngo said:

Google Wago connectors and buy a decent junction box enclosure to do the job.

Screwfix 7355F would be OK.  It includes cable strain relief.   £ 1.70

N

Edit: talking bx.

Edited by Onewheeler
  • Greenie 1

Screwfix 8423F would be better as it's a straight through connection - which is what the OP has cabled (and presumably cut to length)

Theres a shortage of good quality inexpensive mains cable boxes around. If you look at videos from installers (before you fall asleep), you can see some of the horrors around - before and after, some of which is due to the rubbish connectors / boxes  that are available nowadays...

• Greenie 1

On 19/07/2020 at 16:59, OldGoat said:

Screwfix 8423F would be better as it's a straight through connection - which is what the OP has cabled (and presumably cut to length)

The problem with those Wago lighting boxes is that OP would then also have to purchase some 224 connectors. Plus the box is pretty ugly. I think he’s better off with the old fashioned junction box that JonesBoy suggested. 

@robtheplod note that you should really fit bootlace ferrules onto that flex before using any screw connector (or indeed a Wago).