Engineering Bricks

moggyjo

Featured Posts

Has anyone out there noticed how dangerous it is having engineering bricks placed round lock sides, as soon as they get wet they become incredibly slippery and when trying to open gates where they have them is a nightmare in wet weather, even when wearing the sturdiest of boots,

Has anyone out there noticed how dangerous it is having engineering bricks placed round lock sides, as soon as they get wet they become incredibly slippery and when trying to open gates where they have them is a nightmare in wet weather, even when wearing the sturdiest of boots,

I've given up trying to use walking boots, I have a pair with what used to be called commando soles, I have had so many near misses both on and off the boat in wet weather, I wouldn't fancy my chances swiming in them either but I haven't noticed too much different with types of brickwork.. I now just suffer occasional wet feet.

Yes but they look nice and that's all that matters.... apparently.

Yes we have also noticed how dangerous they are. There is also an increasing tendancy to either omit raised gripper bricks, or put them in the wrong place for maximum effort. I slipped badly a few weeks ago, I narrowly missed banging my head on the balance beam, but I gave my back a severe jolt when I hit the ground.

Like John I have found that the type of footwear makes little difference, I used to wear Vibram soled Walking Boots in wet weather, but now I wear a pair of Clarks Gore-Tex heavy shoes, which are much lighter and also waterproof. (They still slip on Engineering bricks though)

Edited by David Schweizer

"Have you also noticed that when they put in the raised bricks they often seem to be in an arc, part way along the balance beam but not right at the end?"

Thats so there is room for the water-filled trough of muck you need just at the point of maximum leverage - the one you fall into during a particularly heavy push that turns your wellies into roller-skates.

Edited by WJM

I just use knackered old pumps. Habit from my sailing days. Good grip, light, they don't mark the boat (apart from transferring mud to it) and water runs out as fast as it gets in.

By the way, does anyone know where I could buy a brand new nokia, perchance??? :lol:

Well I thought I did but some over zealous mod deleted the threads before I could write the number down.

I do not think you want it but if you do use your back button.

Personally I think the mod acted quickly and sensibly just like you asked for on one of the postings. :lol:

I agree, I still haven't found a tongue in cheek smiley yet, though.

I know that tongue in cheek is very elusive. Here have this one :lol: not quite in the cheek though

Sorry back on topic slippery surfaces are mainly down to footware, our front path is treacherous when wet, when wearing certain shoes but completely safe in others.

I spent the last weekend in bare feet thought out the whole time.

- But i also agree that the choice of brick, and possition there of, in modern revamp jobs is often quite shocking.

As for the Nokia, ive just got a like-for-like replacment for my 6230i for £45 off ebay, and you could proberbly get it for less if you were prepaired to spend half a night sorting it.

Daniel

A few years ago I bought some good quality walking boots, at a 'sale' price. By far the most expensive footwear I have ever bought, however being as I seem to get through a pair of 15quid trainers in a few months, probably these have been value for money after all.

However they were hard wearing, but on slippery stone/brick surfaces were deadly. Slightly better now I've had resoled, obvioulsy a softer material, but not really any good for boating ......... unless you like swimming of course.

The safest I felt was in my Yachmaster wellies ...... the ones I left onboard the NB the other week of course. I daren't ask Roy for another pair.