Fenner Coupling

Featured Posts

I’ve identified why I have no propulsion

But need help identifying the names of the parts so I can ask questions. 
Would someone kindly tell me what these parts are called please?

Particularly/especially the broken piece bottom left that holds the disc thing in place that clamps the fenner tyre in place. 

The broken piece comes from inside the disc on the engine side. It’s sitting wonky because it is loose with out the broken piece to keep it tight on the shaft. 

thanks 

386F43E2-7D68-4F34-99CE-346E793C946F.jpeg

06623EB8-A873-494C-B4F6-58C49663A342.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Would someone kindly tell me what these parts are called please?

Just to keep you amused until some comes along with a sensible answer :

Im the girl that makes the thing that drills the hole that holds the
Ring that drives the rod that turns
The knob that works the thingy a me-bob

Im the girl that makes the thing that holds the oil that oils the
Ring that takes the shank that moves
The crank that works the thingy a me bob.
It a ticklish sort of job making thing for the

Thingy a me bob especially when you don't know what it for.
But its the girl that makes the thing the drills the hole that
Holds the ring that makes the thingy
A me bob that makes the engine roar.

And it the girl that makes the thing that holds the oil that
Oils the ring that makes the thingy a me bob thats gonna win the war.
Im not what you'd would call an heroin at all
I don't suppose you'd even know me name

But though i never boost of my important post
Ill strike a blow for freedom just the same.
That works the thingy a me bob.

It a ticklish kind of job making the thing for the
Thingy s me bob especially when you don't know what its for
But its the girl that makes the thing that drills the hole that holds
The ring that makes the thingy a me bob at makes the engines roar an

Its the girl that makes the thing that holds the oil that oils
The ring that makes the thingy a me bob thats gonna win the war
It is n all

• Happy 1

These were at the time part of the Lister complete installation kit 1950-1975 ish. Harborough Marine used them with Lister SR2 and 3's. You obviousely know how they assemble trapping the tyres bead. They were very good. The hub part that's busted fits in the lefthand side of your photo along with the key. I wouldn't know where to get that part these days. Marine engine services RWLP of this forum might be able to help.

If it is on a Lister SR engine those 6 bolt half couplings of which the bolt holes are spaced exactly alike Ford Granada M1 or M2 propshaft doughnut and will fit with ie 3 bolts oneway around into the gearbox half coupling and 3 bolts the otherway  into the other half coupling on the tailshaft, with neccessary spacer nuts and washers to make it flexible. You will need another half coupling though for the tail shaft, clamp on one, RLWP can probably supply that. You will need 6 long high tensil bolts and nuts to do this mod.

Edited by bizzard
  • Greenie 1

50 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Just to keep you amused until some comes along with a sensible answer :

Im the girl that makes the thing that drills the hole that holds the
Ring that drives the rod that turns
The knob that works the thingy a me-bob

Im the girl that makes the thing that holds the oil that oils the
Ring that takes the shank that moves
The crank that works the thingy a me bob.
It a ticklish sort of job making thing for the

Thingy a me bob especially when you don't know what it for.
But its the girl that makes the thing the drills the hole that
Holds the ring that makes the thingy
A me bob that makes the engine roar.

And it the girl that makes the thing that holds the oil that
Oils the ring that makes the thingy a me bob thats gonna win the war.
Im not what you'd would call an heroin at all
I don't suppose you'd even know me name

But though i never boost of my important post
Ill strike a blow for freedom just the same.

It a ticklish kind of job making the thing for the
Thingy s me bob especially when you don't know what its for
But its the girl that makes the thing that drills the hole that holds
The ring that makes the thingy a me bob at makes the engines roar an

Its the girl that makes the thing that holds the oil that oils
The ring that makes the thingy a me bob thats gonna win the war
It is n all

Boy, oh boy - that shows your age (or to be charitable - your interests). It's that piercing voice of Ms Fields that's hard to eradicate (why should one eradicate ?) - You don't get that sort of voice nowdays, 'specially without a backing group....

OTOH when you look at 'that' sort of engineering / manufacture, perhaps they'll not be missed...... 

Just now, OldGoat said:

Boy, oh boy - that shows your age (or to be charitable - your interests). It's that piercing voice of Ms Fields that's hard to eradicate (why should one eradicate ?) - You don't get that sort of voice nowdays, 'specially without a backing group....

OTOH when you look at 'that' sort of engineering / manufacture, perhaps they'll not be missed...... 

Yup, we wouldn't be where we are today without all those ladies producing 'thingy ma bobs'.

20 minutes ago, bizzard said:

These were at the time part of the Lister complete installation kit 1950-1975 ish. Harborough Marine used them with Lister SR2 and 3's. You obviousely know how they assemble trapping the tyres bead. They were very good. The hub part that's busted fits in the lefthand side of your photo along with the key. I wouldn't know where to get that part these days. Marine engine services RWLP of this forum might be able to help.

I’ve found a supplier : George Lodge, based in hull. 

my engine is a BMC 1800

yea, I understand how the tyre fits. I think it’s a good idea.  A bit of a fiddle to replace but does the trick. 

30 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Quick google:

it’s a Fenner taper bush. 
and not expensive, a tenner. 

Any advice when refitting one would be appreciated. 
Looks like it’s held to the outer clamp by grub screws and to the shaft by a small elongated thing me bob. 

Yes Taperlock, The Allen screws draw the two parts together, the split one into the outer part solid onto the shaft, if it'll fit the Fenner plate. You probably have a 1.1/2'' propshaft.

2 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I’ve found a supplier : George Lodge, based in hull. 

my engine is a BMC 1800

yea, I understand how the tyre fits. I think it’s a good idea.  A bit of a fiddle to replace but does the trick. 

OK forget the Granada mod then, I doubt if the half coupling bolt hole centres are the same as Lister.

So when you had your recent tantrum and said you were going to sit on a VM on the Peak Forest for six months, this is it. Don't worry about naming the parts, just get the notice in the window, "Broken down, waiting for Engineer" or "Broken down,, saving up to pay for an engineer but the beer keeps taking all my money". I reckon a broken part like that could take a year to fix. Are you in a nice place?

..................Dave

9 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Yes Taperlock, The Allen screws draw the two parts together, the split one into the outer part solid onto the shaft, if it'll fit the Fenner plate. You probably have a 1.1/2'' propshaft.

OK forget the Granada mod then, I doubt if the half coupling bolt hole centres are the same as Lister.

Yes a 1 1/2” prop. 

3 minutes ago, dmr said:

So when you had your recent tantrum and said you were going to sit on a VM on the Peak Forest for six months, this is it. Don't worry about naming the parts, just get the notice in the window, "Broken down, waiting for Engineer" or "Broken down,, saving up to pay for an engineer but the beer keeps taking all my money". I reckon a broken part like that could take a year to fix. Are you in a nice place?

..................Dave

I’m already doing a nice poster design in faded biro. 

As it happens I’m in a lovely spot. 

I broke down just approaching the first lift bridge. I started bow hauling to the next lift bridge because I know it’s nice there and I can park the car not far away. 
A passing boat offered a tow which was great. Nb Freedom from Hawne Basin!

They are good things. When you reassemble it read the instructions, somewhere I think it mentions giving the insert a tap with a hammer before tightening the grub screws, I think this might help to seat the thing properly.

Just now, Bee said:

They are good things. When you reassemble it read the instructions, somewhere I think it mentions giving the insert a tap with a hammer before tightening the grub screws, I think this might help to seat the thing properly.

Cheers, that’s just the sort of advice I’m after. ?

I have this fitted between my hydraulic motor and the prop shaft on my boat 1998, If I remember rightly its a taper lock,

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

I have this fitted between my hydraulic motor and the prop shaft on my boat 1998, If I remember rightly its a taper lock,

• Greenie 1