Necessary equipment

Callum4878

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, Callum4878 said:

Not sure I’ll have time to collect all the list, but I’ll do my best and pick up the rest en route!

Was given some Nicholson guides from about 30yrs ago, but I guess they’ve moved on some since then? So I’d better buy new I guess.

Or use new technology and mifi or 4G

4 hours ago, Goliath said:

Hand sanitiser 

facemask

snorkel

budgie smugglers

You don't need to smuggle budgies, but a canary in a cage is a wise precaution against fire-damp.

11 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

Boating Perquisites - Version 3,429.5

1. Alarm, crew summoning ding-dong.

116 A Water for drinking

116 B Water for cooking

116 C Water for washing

116 D Water for growing outside clutter.

116 E Water for floating on. (depending on weather and the actions of the navigation authority, this may vary from not enough, to far far too much) and when flowing it is generally in the wrong direction and/or far too fast.

Stuff delivered from above, is invariably at the wrong time and finds itself in the wrong places.

Note 1 - Boats under 12ft in length may have difficulty in passing under low bridges when carrying the full inventory. 

Note 2 - Possession of these items may become mandatory in a future edition of the BSS regulations.

List updated 08/03/2017

12 hours ago, Callum4878 said:

Thank you, not sure what they class a full cruising kit, but I’ve asked for an inventory, and there’s chandlery on the pickup marina, I was more concerned about anything I need to buy from CRT, are those two keys all that’s required from them?

As others have said plus :-  grease for the stern tube.

set of spanners, screwdrivers, wire cutters, junior hacksaw etc.

spare engine/gearbox oil

spare oil filter, diesel filters

diesel & pump out key (if you have pump out bog)

Depending what spares are on the boat when you check, I would advise to carry spare alternator belts' really big issue if one breaks and very easy quick fix if you have one.

If you do need to buy, check the part number on the existing belts and get same.

Have loads of fun,

11 hours ago, Callum4878 said:

Was given some Nicholson guides from about 30yrs ago, but I guess they’ve moved on some since then? So I’d better buy new I guess.

The canal hasn't moved in 30 years. Many of the pubs and shops listed may have closed, but newer guides aren't immune from that.

15 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Floaty key ring with cork.

But don't assume that the word floaty applies if you add a jailer's set of keys to it! Easy enough to test you're okay in a bucket or on a piece of string overboard.

12 hours ago, Callum4878 said:

Not sure I’ll have time to collect all the list, but I’ll do my best and pick up the rest en route!

They will still be out of date and wrong. the only useful bit is the map

15 hours ago, dmr said:

That's a really good list. The only thing I would add is towels, lots of old towels, called boat towels, ideally dyed a specific colour to separate them from human towels. Used for all sorts of spillages, plumbing leaks, and water ingress accidents, but most of all used to keep items 39 clean and dry.

..................Dave

Good things about the guides is they're like charts or other working books. Use them and update them and they're still useful. Great thing about Nicholson guides is like said, the line of canal stays the same. All the hand annotations will be supplemental so if they've not been updated in pencil with shop closures etc for a while you're not going to run aground or miss a light like you could if you fail to keep an admiralty chart updated. 

edit to add: The NW Nicholson I have from mid 70s and use is fine for home waters but would be no use for absent but since reopened canals, Rochdale and Huddersfield. Just not included in the guide.

Edited by BilgePump