The Virtual BCN Challenge 2020

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

I wanna know why we didnt get any bonus points?

How do you know you didn't?  She might be playing a cunning double bluff and that list is the also-rans, not show-and-place.

This would make sense, because what use is 1 bonus point for the log if you started the day with 54 points coming up from Huddlesford before breakfast?  This game is going to finish with a winner scoring around 500 points, so 1 point a day for the log seems ... er ... pointless.

Edited by TheBiscuits
spellink

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

How do you know you didn't?  She might be playing a cunning double bluff and that list is the also-rans, not show-and-place.

This would make sense, because what use is 1 bonus point for the log if you started the day with 54 points coming up from Huddlesford before breakfast?  This game is going to finish with a winner scrong around 500 points, so 1 point a day for the log seems ... er ... pointless.

Our target was 700 points.

• Greenie 1

I think it's going to come a shock to some people to find that the penalty for mistiming your overnight stop is the loss of all points for the previous completed section ...

Imagine if you had spent all day and then some doing tens of locks and then you get no points for the section.  You would be furious.

45 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I think it's going to come a shock to some people to find that the penalty for mistiming your overnight stop is the loss of all points for the previous completed section ...

Imagine if you had spent all day and then some doing tens of locks and then you get no points for the section.  You would be furious.

?

I don't know what the judges will rule, but it would have been nice if this part of the scoring system had been made clear to all teams before the start!

I see @RebelMike and @Indigo Dreamers are overnighting at the Sneyd Transport Museum.

There are many transportation devices available to view, ranging from car ramps to coracles, skin boats to staircases ...

coracles.jpg.3458a2f87799787921694565ea34ed89.jpg

... canoes to cars, shipping containers to shopping trolleys, Lot's of those trolleys.

trollies.jpg.92862250a8e962233c111dff10d169fc.jpg

The CRT curator of the museum said to me "If I had a quid for every trolley we fish out of the cut ..."

Sadly they never do - the numpties always take the quid out before pushing the trollies in.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I see @RebelMike and @Indigo Dreamers are overnighting at the Sneyd Transport Museum.

There are many transportation devices available to view, ranging from car ramps to coracles, skin boats to staircases ...

coracles.jpg.3458a2f87799787921694565ea34ed89.jpg

... canoes to cars, shipping containers to shopping trolleys, Lot's of those trolleys.

trollies.jpg.92862250a8e962233c111dff10d169fc.jpg

The CRT curator of the museum said to me "If I had a quid for every trolley we fish out of the cut ..."

Sadly they never do - the numpties always take the quid out before pushing the trollies in.

One assumes they take the children out too!

On 18/04/2020 at 20:43, alan_fincher said:

The problem here is that you are making this sound like a FUN thing.

The BCN Challenge, if done properly, shouldn't be fun!

CIMG4093.JPG

Snap! BCN Challenge 2014 in Poppy. I was quite glad that I did not have to return to Ryders yesterday. In 2014 I did a lot of walking in pouring rain. Ryders and Rushalls. This year at least I will not get wet but I am suffering from severe marble loss. I was hoping to bump into our 2014 Navigator this time. Allan KeepingUp is somewhere.

I need you Allen to help me through the network. But still; I have not seen a single other competitor. This solo virtual boating for the elderly is too demanding for me. Tomorrow I need one hour of extra time and a few replacement marbles.

DSC03322rain.JPG

DSC04447.JPG

Edited by KiwiBill

Make it a double issue of marbles. Initially I thought I was on Odana in 2014. Then I corrected it to Black Beauty. I have now unearthed evidence that it was Poppy. All further confusion will be sorted out by Nicki and John in Hockley Port.  The pics with Allan KeepingUp are 2014 in Gas St before the start. 

DSC03297.JPG

DSC03298.JPG

Good morning Challengers!

I hope you are all well and raring for another day boating around the balmy Birmingham canals?

Thank you to everyone for all the cake and good wishes yesterday and I don't have too much of a hangover this morning (but I suspect some of you may have!)

As has become usual, my inbox overfloweth with your wonderful emails and I am aware that our scruitineers need to get back to one or two teams for a little clarification on things so emails will be forthcoming during the course of this morning as I play catch up.

Here is today's report on the current condition of the BCN from the esteemed @Capt Ahab, we do wonder whish of you was responsible for lighting that fateful BBQ! You may have a lot to answer for!

An email will be going out imminently with details of your daily quiz and challenge

Good luck eveyone!

• Happy 1