The Virtual BCN Challenge 2020

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

Update

It has been decided that we are not going to be too rigid with the deadline that had originally been set for this lunchtime as there was a late flurry of entries among them people who have maybe not done the real BCN Challenge before or are having to get their heads around the forum software. There are also people who are VERY familiar with both who have simply not got their act together and there is also a partial entry from a very different time zone who we would like to try and include if we can - because they can! and that was something we hoped might happen with a virtual challenge.

Providing we have all these cruise logs up and running today and I know everyone's start point then it will be fine.

In the mean time <fanfare> for anyone out there who is lurking and just wants to follow what the teams are up to -  We have the following teams with their cruise logs up and running:

Massive well done to all of you for getting your entries vitually afloat!  I am expecting one more cruise log to materialise soon!

Two of our teams have advised of their withdrawal.

Why aren't we top of the list?

We've got the biggest one!

1 minute ago, cheshire~rose said:

Because the panel never awards bonus points to the first entry they read ;)

You get more bonus points for panels?

Oh boy, we've got loads of them too. This is going to be easy.

Just now, Keeping Up said:

People who brag about the size of it, usually have something to hide.

We will certainly be well hidden with our countermeasures array.

45 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Hm, I'll look that up. I thought it was a segment of the Wyrley and Essington canal...

I think a certain disbanded stretch of the Curley Wyrley might be quite busy tomorrow morning.  Luckily there are lots of years we can spread out through to avoid queues at the locks!

2 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

Too late. Of course we’ll have to carpet bomb the area because we won’t be able to see your Stealth ‘Ampton boat.

All widebeams should have that feature.

JP

You do know we have ground to air missiles on board?

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

yes..... and we've sonar with a 3 mile range so we know who's about ..... nah nah nananah

I'm not sure sonar would be much use on a canal as you would get too many echos.

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

yes..... and we've sonar with a 3 mile range so we know who's about ..... nah nah nananah

You’ll only need 3’ on the BCN.

Just now, Rob-M said:

I'm not sure sonar would be much use on a canal as you would get too many echos.

Beat me to it!

• Greenie 1

Announcment <We are bostin to tell ya!>

We have managed to travel back in time and have purchased a virtual threepence h'penny worth of traditional Groaty Dick from The Cook Shop in Cradley Heath;

article-2655166-1EA926FE00000578-315_306

We have decided to use this as a prize for an additional competition

Anyone can join in with the daily quiz and the daily challenge, you do not have to be taking part in the navigational part of the virtual challenge.

Each morning this week at some time no later than 8:30am I will be posting details of a daily quiz and a daily challenge. Feel free to join in through the week by sending your entries to me by personal message, DO NOT POST QUIZ ANSWERS TO THE THREAD!

At the end of the week the panel will decide the winner and they will be virtually presented with their virtail Groaty Dick on Sunday.

Good luck everyone!

Hot off the press guys (and gals)

In the spirti of transparency and openness, team "Barnier's Stern Gland" has decided to make available to all other entrants, their confidential internal documentation including mission statement, metrics and capabilities. We will publish this each night to assist the 'weaker' teams and in the spirt of 'inclusivity'.

The first of the nightly updates is now available in post 39 of the cruising log thread

Whilst giving away our starting point and scoring metrics may be seen by other teams as silly, we are not a silly team and wish to be very open and above board with all our competitors - so when we win, we cannot be critisised in any way or form.

May the best team win.

(That's us)

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

The BCN Challenge is a very special thing. It’s a huge disappointment that the real thing isn’t happening but we have the opportunity to do something unique in its place.There are folk who literally spend months ahead planning and preparing just to compete, so we can only imagine what it takes to organise one.

I can’t lie, I take it very seriously, although I doubt you’ve noticed. Just in preparing for this challenge I’ve learnt things I didn’t know about the BCN and when we can finally get back out on the real thing it will enhance the experience. It’s also great that new people are involved. Ultimately this is a great substitute for the real thing and I hope some more folk will join the next real event as a result.

So good luck to everyone and a special thanks to those who organise the virtual and real Challenges. I’ve brought out the special stuff for a toast. Cheers.

F8597447-B8E8-42B3-B96D-A30465336D17.jpeg

• Greenie 1
  • Love 2

15 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

The BCN Challenge is a very special thing. It’s a huge disappointment that the real thing isn’t happening but we have the opportunity to do something unique in its place.There are folk who literally spend months ahead planning and preparing just to compete, so we can only imagine what it takes to organise one.

I can’t lie, I take it very seriously, although I doubt you’ve noticed. Just in preparing for this challenge I’ve learnt things I didn’t know about the BCN and when we can finally get back out on the real thing it will enhance the experience. It’s also great that new people are involved. Ultimately this is a great substitute for the real thing and I hope some more folk will join the next real event as a result.

So good luck to everyone and a special thanks to those who organise the virtual and real Challenges. I’ve brought out the special stuff for a toast. Cheers.

F8597447-B8E8-42B3-B96D-A30465336D17.jpeg

I hadn't noticed you were taking it serious.

How come we've never celebrated the start of the real challenge in such a way, I think we have supped on Timothy Taylor's Landlord and Bathams the last few years.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Rob-M said:

I hadn't noticed you were taking it serious.

How come we've never celebrated the start of the real challenge in such a way, I think we have supped on Timothy Taylor's Landlord and Bathams the last few years.

We’ve supped on Batham’s in the brewery tap while moored at Black Delph (the single most evocative place name on the canals) on the night before the Challenge. What could be more special?

I’m getting sentimental now. I almost want to be stuck in Walsall Lock no. 7 at midnight.

Next time I’ll bring the whisky. Just for you.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

welling up here!

I think we all have to remember that it is @RLWP and @Mrs Tawny Owl who we really need to thank for letting us play. 

Can  I propose a toast to them please? 

Of course, I did reference real and virtual. And I give them grief over the rules too. ??

Just spotted another little gremlin on the  Route Planner.

Row 93 is  Tipton Green Junction to Factory Junction and is 0.5Miles

Row 94 is Factory Junction to Tipton Green Junction and is 1Mile
Canal Planner says its 0.7 and my Edwards says 0.4 and Mr Dunham also implies 0.4miles
It really is pick a number time.

13 minutes ago, Ian Mac said:

Just spotted another little gremlin on the  Route Planner.

Row 93 is  Tipton Green Junction to Factory Junction and is 0.5Miles

Row 94 is Factory Junction to Tipton Green Junction and is 1Mile
Canal Planner says its 0.7 and my Edwards says 0.4 and Mr Dunham also implies 0.4miles
It really is pick a number time.

This has been addressed - the error was spotted after the sheet was made final:

On 30/04/2020 at 13:19, cheshire~rose said:

Just to let those who are puzzling over how the section  Factory Junction to Tipton Green Junction can be half a mile going one way and a mile going the other: we had thought it might be due to the large amount of outflow from The Owen Street Sewage Works causing a strong flow but further investigation reveals it is due to the prevailing wind direction