The Virtual BCN Challenge 2020

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

Enjoying following this and reading all your virtual cruising logs between jobs at work. Particularly enjoy seeing all the photos in the logs. 

Is there any way for non participants to see the daily quiz and challenge? Even if only at end of day or even end of challenge? 

Keep up all the hard work!

45 minutes ago, Tom and Bex said:

Is there any way for non participants to see the daily quiz and challenge? Even if only at end of day or even end of challenge? 

You really don't want to see ours.

1 hour ago, RichardN said:

Is that penalty point time?

Well the second entry I got was actually asking for a bonus point for being the first entry so..........

1 hour ago, Tom and Bex said:

Enjoying following this and reading all your virtual cruising logs between jobs at work. Particularly enjoy seeing all the photos in the logs. 

Yes I am sorry, I had intended to do that and had overlooked it in trying to organise this rabble!

I will psot the last couple of days here for folks to have a shot at if they wish

Monday's Quiz:

With a nod to the idea from Richard Osman’s House of Games. There follows a synopsis of 10 films with a boating/nautical theme. a word (or maybe two) has been changed in each of them. Please find the word and the title of the film that is being described:

1: Four children dream of escaping the tedium of a summer holiday with their mother. When finally given permission to camp on their own on an island in the middle of a vast lake in the Commercial District

2: An epic, action-packed romance set against the ill-fated vessel’s maiden over and, at the time, the largest moving object ever built

3 A German submarine patrols the Billy Ocean, manned by a crew that must contend with tense conflicts and long stretches of confined boredom.

4: After the melting of the polar bears, most of the globe is underwater. Some humans have survived, and even fewer still have adapted to the ocean by developing gills  

5: A captain helms his vessel for a treacherous transatlantic mission near the dawn of the 19th century, during which his faithful crew battle both a Spanish onion and a ragged band of Central American rebels

6: A bee-keeper causes chaos for boats when he refuses to open the locks after discovering his daughter is pregnant to a canal Casanova

7:  Courageous men and women risk their lives every working day, pitting their fishing boats and rescue vessels against the capricious forces of nature. Their worst fears are realized when they are confronted by three raging National fronts which unexpectedly collide

8: Soviet submarine captain abandons his inhibitions and heads for the east coast of the United States. Equipped with innovative stealth technology.

9: After a religious spinster's missionary brother is killed in WWI Africa, a dissolute steamer captain offers her safe passage. She's not satisfied so she persuades him to destroy a German sausage

10: After a huge whale capsizes a luxury liner, individual survivors band together and traverse a hazardous upside-down maze that they hope will take them to safety. As the wrecked vessel fills with water, the survivors must call on hidden strengths and skills to face the fight of their lives

• Greenie 1

Monday's Challenge

You have woken up this morning to find there has been a heavy frost overnight. There is an icy wind coming from the north and the sky looks as though it is full of snow. You have no choice, you have stepped up to complete this BCN challenge and you know you have a solid 7 hours of cruising ahead of you in this bitter cold.  The only thing you can do is to dress appropriately. Wrap up warm with as many layers as you can. Hat, scarf, gloves and warm boots. Strap your hot water bottle on under your coat and start the engine…. But before you do please take a photo of you and or your team dressed for the weather and share it with us on your BCN Cruise Log. Take care out there today, we don’t want to cause any of you chilblains!

Please feel free to share your photos in this thread if anyone wants to join in!

1 hour ago, cheshire~rose said:

Well the second entry I got was actually asking for a bonus point for being the first entry so..........

But did BOTH of those entries include both the answer sheet AND today's cruising score sheet?

5 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

But did BOTH of those entries include both the answer sheet AND today's cruising score sheet?

No - but not every team gave up at the first whiff of a polution incident decided to spend the day in the pub

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, cheshire~rose said:

No - but not every team gave up at the first whiff of a polution incident decided to spend the day in the pub

Maybe - but it was on that basis that I claimed to be the first entry and therefore deserving of a bonus point.

Besides, it's good here in the pub!

ANNOUNCEMENT

The judging panel's results are in for yesterday. As usual we will not be divulging which cruise logs they judged to be their top three but we are happy to share with you some of their comments and which teams they issued bonus points to:

Special mention to Urban Moorings because they stopped for litter picking. Great example to all environmentally.

Team biscuits – I really sympathised with them getting stuck on a supermarket trolley (it happened to us at Stalybridge) Use of toilet rolls for swan.

Urban moorings – Laser cut swan way OTT! Bondage gear.

Styxl – trillions of bonus points for their comments about Telford Way Tunnel, an absolute travesty.

Barniers Stern Gland is totally lost on me.  However Middleton Lakes is one of our favourite RSPB reserves so a couple of grudging bonus points for the bad hair day robin.

Rebellion – bonus points of the variety of swans.

Indigo dreams –  bonus points for the mileage chart, the green winged towel swan and the Roman story was excellent.

Firefly – nice swans and a nice gentle log.

The Workers – Best swan.

The Workers -  for detail but I was alarmed that they may have been offering their swan pot noodles !!!

Please note, we accumulate the scores of all the panel to issue the points for the best cruise log each day. This means that it is possible for a cruise log to get a bonus point from one judge while the combined scores of all the judges may also make that team's cruise log in the top 3 - hence points can be notched up at a good rate in this way. Equally, just because a team is not mentioned in the bonus points does not mean thay did not get any points. They might have been in the top 3.

Keep on making the most of those opportunites to share the historical details, photos and creative snippets that our panel seem to love. You are all doing an amazing job of entertaining a lot of people

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, cheshire~rose said:

Teams you have email with your daily quiz

From the quiz:

"One point available per correct answer received from each team. "

So if I send it in twice I get 20 points?  Hmm... I smell a loophole

28 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

Today I have tasked myself with trying to go through each and every team cruise log and I have to say I am in awe of just how much time has been spent on research and creativity not to mention the large dose of imaginaton that everyone is applying to create their logs. I still have a lot more to read through but it occured to me that each time I laugh out loud or feel I want to share a poem, a film clip, a joke or a photo with someone there are probably a LOT more people who doing exactly the same and so I know all your hard work is actually keeping a lot of people amused through their lockdown. Thank you to all of your for that.

I think it is important to remember that this virtaul event is taking place because the real BCN challenge could not. The Real BCN Challenge is an important event in the calendar of The BCN Society and, as their event had to be cancelled due to Covid-19 this year they are missing out on the entry fees of a lot of participating boaters and a lot of donations that the event would usually generate.

It is also fair to say that without this fine forum tolerating all these teams mucking about with their virtaul cruise diaries we might well struggle to work out how this event could have been hosted. It is free to join this forum and it is free to read it as well but there are costs involved in it's existance and it doesn't hurt to remind people that, if they can afford to do so, bunging the cost of a round of drinks with your mates into the frum coffers may just help it continue to be free for everyone to enjoy

It is with that in mind that I want to say, if you are enjoying this event, either from the perspective of a participant, or from the perspective of an onlooker perhaps you would consider making a small donation, either to The BCNS or to the forum.

The BCNS do not have a clickable link where you can donate but you can do so via online banking by using these details:

BCN Society
Barclays Bank
Sort Code 20-84-13
Account Number 60176419

If you wish to donate to the forum you can do so here:

https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/store/category/6-make-a-donation-to-canal-world/

Auntie Waitrose

You forgot to put your email in for your retirement fund!

......and contributing yes, but I am not buying anything from you!!!

Edited by Dr Bob
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Auntie Waitrose

You forgot to put your email in for funds for your retirement fund!

......and contributing yes, but I am not buying anything from you!!!

You already bought into the challenge!

You are like a lamb to the slaughter I tell you!

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

...but you said our bank details were just to register us?

I did wonder why Sunday's quiz was:

Mother's maiden name

Name of first pet

Place of birth

Name of first school

Surely everybody would have different answers?

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

I did wonder why Sunday's quiz was:

Mother's maiden name

Name of first pet

Place of birth

Name of first school

Surely everybody would have different answers?

Or of course there could be some more difficult questions to answer

;)

• Haha 2

I was rather hoping you might be offering to sell points.

Anyway, I have been thinking about joining the BCNS for a while. So I used the time machine to travel forward a few years, to see what would happen if I did join, and rapidly decided it would be a good idea. 

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

On 19/04/2020 at 19:37, cheshire~rose said:

There will also be the potential for additional bonus points for:

·        Imagination

·        Humour

·        Geekery

·        Illustration

·        Creative writing

·        Musical soundtrack

Serious question to the organisers:

Can each team please be given some number of points that they can award to any team except themselves?

I have been reading everybody else's cruise logs, and I keep wanting to allocate real challenge points not just forum greenies for some of the entries.

Edited by TheBiscuits
  • Greenie 3