The Virtual BCN Challenge 2020

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

16 hours ago, cheshire~rose said:

Tick Tock GIF by memecandy

Waiting for Team Red Wharf

< groans >

Can someone tell that kid to stop making such a racket.

Our heads hurt.

We haven't visited an imaginary pub before. It was great, full of imaginary beers.

There was that wonderfully bitter beer from Nottingham, Shipstones, both the bitter and the mild. (A note to crossword fans: Yes 'Shipstones' is an anagram of honest piss) Also from Nottingham Home bitter was on the pumps.

Darley's IPA was there too, or to give it the name used by some of the blokes I used to work with at Hatfield Pit, 'Thorne canal water'!

Staying in South Yorkshire, Sheffield's brewing tradition was represented by Wards bitter.

Local brews were not absent either, Davenports and Simpkiss beers being available.

And, of course, no imaginary pub should exist without Bathams Bitter, the best beer in the whole wide world, on the wickets.

So, as you might gather, we had a bit of a session and weren't in a fit state to do anything, let alone start a virtual cruise this morning.

That being the case team 'Traeth-coch' (that is your actual Welsh Mr 'Orne) having fallen before the first hurdle, would like to withdraw.

Good luck to all the entrants, big THANK YOU to the organisers and we might see you at Bradley Workshops at the end of the week if our heads have stopped hurting by then.

I'm off for a little lie down.

• Greenie 2
  • Love 1

I've another suggestion for next time can we make the columns on the  Daily score sheet have the same order as the columns on the Route Planner so one can just copy and paste the info across.
Also noted 145A  Should be "Junction" not Juction

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Ian Mac said:

I've another suggestion for next time can we make the columns on the  Daily score sheet have the same order as the columns on the Route Planner so one can just copy and paste the info across.

Literacy wasn't a strong subject among boaters in 1893

3 minutes ago, Ian Mac said:

?

We have to do a daily score sheet?

Just now, cheshire~rose said:

Literacy wasn't a strong subject among boaters in 1893

On a related note, for the benefit of those of us who've spent the morning doing actual work trying to decypher government guidance, and have therefore lost the power of words...

One word has been changed in each of them. Please find the word

Are you wanting the one incorrect word in the question, or one word for what the incorrect word should actually be (some of them we think are better with two words)?

2 minutes ago, smudgepuss said:

On a related note, for the benefit of those of us who've spent the morning doing actual work trying to decypher government guidance, and have therefore lost the power of words...

Are you wanting the one incorrect word in the question, or one word for what the incorrect word should actually be (some of them we think are better with two words)?

the word (or words) it should be please

You may find the quiz a lot easier than government advice

1 minute ago, smudgepuss said:

And beware of the difference between "Substitute A for B" and "Substitute A with B". The former is correct (see Fowler's Modern English Useage, 1965 edition. The latter should surely get zero points.2020-05-04_142609.jpg.0b37aa8a5475fa2a975a014dec048f6c.jpg

It's a bloody mess! 2hrs a day. 2!!!

Its more like 24. (not the tv programme!)

The crew is a joke. Please sir can I go and turn my boat round. Please sir, I need to go to the garage for an hour. Please sir, I dont know what I am doing. Please sir, I feel sick. Can I go home?

.....and then to cap it all as Peterbote was operating the time dispacement thingy, the electrickity thing went ping and up popped someone out of the weed hatch. There's too many crew already to manage, it really is worse than hearding cats and another one is just going to create more mayhem. So we now have @rusty69 on board and he will temporarily take up the position of 2nd Officer Security working for Rusty the gsd till we can find him another job.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

It's a bloody mess! 2hrs a day. 2!!!

Its more like 24. (not the tv programme!)

The crew is a joke. Please sir can I go and turn my boat round. Please sir, I need to go to the garage for an hour. Please sir, I dont know what I am doing. Please sir, I feel sick. Can I go home?

.....and then to cap it all as Peterbote was operating the time dispacement thingy, the electrickity thing went ping and up popped someone out of the weed hatch. There's too many crew already to manage, it really is worse than hearding cats and another one is just going to create more mayhem. So we now have @rusty69 on board and he will temporarily take up the position of 2nd Officer Security working for Rusty the gsd till we can find him another job.

I wasnt my fault I cam back from the future to find people playing with the time machine [no names but he wears a fancy hat]! and we all know how thats ended! two bloody Rustys and only one is boat trained ☹️

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I wasnt my fault I cam back from the future to find people playing with the time machine [no names but he wears a fancy hat]! and we all know how thats ended! two bloody Rustys and only one is boat trained ☹️

Yeah, I saw him too, though he came back to the future, not back from the future.I may not be boat trained, but I am train trained if its any help.

2948326-marty_multicolored_hat.jpg.71f7625b3442f1daf9a9ac30f08eb8a2.jpg

Right, I'm suffering from an earworm, so I am going to share it:

Day 1 Quiz

6: A bee-keeper causes chaos for boats when he refuses to open the locks after discovering his daughter is pregnant

The earworm - not the answer - is :

• Haha 1

Thanks a million to everyone who has already sent in their quiz answers and score cards. Those we have are with our adjudicaters for checking.

REMINDER!

We need everyone's quiz answers and  copy of your score card with today's journey detailed before 10pm this evening

Thank you

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

Right, I'm suffering from an earworm, so I am going to share it:

Day 1 Quiz

6: A bee-keeper causes chaos for boats when he refuses to open the locks after discovering his daughter is pregnant

The earworm - not the answer - is :

Ear worm you say

7 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Ear worm you say

Does the phrase Romany Lady make you twitch, or do I need to be clearer? :D

Mahna Mahna is on repeat chez BobBiscuits, so I have no fear. 

In fact, I may need to introduce you to "The Chicken Song" - no, not that one, this one:

Play it, and why he calls it the chicken song may become obvious.

• Greenie 1

A technical question, please can someone tell me how to embed a YouTube video into a post? So far I've managed to produce something that looks like a link but at least it works, something that's a picture of a line of code that doesn't work, and a variety of other useless things that don't work, but nothing that looks like the title page and also plays. Thanks.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

A technical question, please can someone tell me how to embed a YouTube video into a post? So far I've managed to produce something that

looks like a link but at least it works, something that's a picture of a line of code that doesn't work, and a variety of other useless things that don't work, but nothing that looks like the title page and also plays. Thanks.

You are overthinking it.

Just paste the link as it is and the forum recognizes it is a video. So I just paste in htttpdsadsadsa://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIeRCpV-gbE and get this

PS @Keeping Up how many points are you paying us for this ??

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

10 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

You are overthinking it.

Just paste the link as it is and the forum recognizes it is a video. So I just paste in htttpdsadsadsa://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIeRCpV-gbE and get this

PS @Keeping Up how many points are you paying us for this ??

I thought I did that in this post, so why didn't it work? It just shows the url. And what's that httpdsadsadsa business?

Edited by Keeping Up
Edit to try & get the link right

Just now, Keeping Up said:

I thought I did that in this post, so why didn't it work? It just shows the url. And what's that httpdsadsadsa business?

Sorry, I pasted the link in twice and the first one I deliberately corrupted to stop it displaying as normal

httpsthisurlhasbeencorrupted://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIeRCpV-gbE

2 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Sorry, I pasted the link in twice and the first one I deliberately corrupted to stop it displaying as normal

Thanks, I understand that now. I just don't understand why that doesn't work for me, as in my log post (whose url I corrected above)

8 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

See, I'd do it like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIeRCpV-gbE

(When you paste it, you get a popup message at the bottom of the reply box that says

"Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead")

If you click the Display as a link instead bit you get the plain link as above.  If you ignore it you get: