Help with PC (non boat related)

Slim

Featured Posts

In the middle of this Covid business my sisters laptop failed and I've bought her a new ,fairly basic one, a Lenovo IdeaPad S145 (Windows10). I've been trying to get it up and running before giving it to her. Neither she nor my brother in law both in their late 70s are at all techie . They live about 5 miles from me and are self isolating. I got the PC up and running no problem. I foolishly set it up using my Microsoft a/c and all is now well apart from the fact that it now needs my Microsoft PIN to start up. How do I change this without affecting 2 devices , laptop and Notebook that I have running windows 10. I thought I could do a full factory reset and start again. I've tried this twice and both times I reach a point where my mugshot appears on screen together with a request for a PIN. If I input this it starts up.  

Any advice would be much appreciated 

I would like to get it sorted by Sunday as I can get it delivered by someone then.

3 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Do you want to switch to use a different Microsoft account as you could just add a second account by going into settings, accounts.

Rob-M,

What I would like to do is set up a Microsoft A/C in her name so it would be a completely new a/c. She didn't know her MS a/c when I asked. Her existing laptop was set up by my nephew some years ago.  

Login to the PC

Click on START and find COMMAND PROMPT

Right click on this and select Run As Administrator - accept the prompt

In the black box type:

net user NAME /add     press ENTER

net localgroup Administrators /add NAME      press ENTER

Change NAME for the name you'd like the account to be. This will create a local user with admin rights and no password....

hope that helps!!

rob

• Greenie 1

39 minutes ago, Slim said:

Rob-M,

What I would like to do is set up a Microsoft A/C in her name so it would be a completely new a/c. She didn't know her MS a/c when I asked. Her existing laptop was set up by my nephew some years ago.  

If you create the new Microsoft account then you can add that as a second account in settings, accounts.  This is what I do at home so we can share a PC with our own MS accounts.

You can do a factory reset, some instructions here https://uk.pcmag.com/gallery/118555/how-to-factory-reset-windows-10

This should then allow you to setup again with the new account.

2 hours ago, Slim said:

I thought I could do a full factory reset and start again. I've tried this twice and both times I reach a point where my mugshot appears...

The drawbacks of ‘helpful’ software...

1 hour ago, robtheplod said:

Click on START and find COMMAND PROMPT

Right click on this and select Run As Administrator

Or just type cmd into the white search box and you should see this box pop up. Select ‘Run as administrator’

FF112D40-45CE-4108-80B2-D7D8B584F08A.jpeg.d5d3937d85d3e57b9b6633689d9dc7c9.jpeg

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

Or just type cmd into the white search box and you should see this box pop up. Select ‘Run as administrator’

FF112D40-45CE-4108-80B2-D7D8B584F08A.jpeg.d5d3937d85d3e57b9b6633689d9dc7c9.jpeg

No ?

When I typed in cmd  I didn't get either    cmd (run command) or Command Prompt (app). The first and only 'best match' is cmd (see web match) 

Does that make sense?

7 minutes ago, Slim said:

No ?

When I typed in cmd  I didn't get either    cmd (run command) or Command Prompt (app). The first and only 'best match' is cmd (see web match) 

Does that make sense?

Hmmm... yes it makes sense but I don’t have an explanation. Can you find Command Prompt under the Start menu?

14 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Hmmm... yes it makes sense but I don’t have an explanation. Can you find Command Prompt under the Start menu?

When I type in Command Prompt I get (Best match) Manage app execution aliases (system settings)  and (search the web) Command Prompt (see web results). 

13 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Command prompt comes up if I type it in the search box at bottom left.

That's because you made your PC out of baked bean cans and string ?

On a serious note you've triggered a thought, I'm going to shut down this PC and see what happens if I type Command Prompt into it.

So'

On my own (Dell) PC I get exactly what WotEver suggested ,on the Lenovo I get what I reported earlier. To the best of my knowledge both are running the latest windows 10. I am really confused and out of my depth  

1 hour ago, George and Dragon said:

Can someone explain to mr numpty (me) how to mark this topic as read? 

I gave up using Windows the day I retired.

Did you. I suppose you sold your business, ladder, bucket and leather on to someone else.  :)

1 hour ago, George and Dragon said:

Can someone explain to mr numpty (me) how to mark this topic as read?

I gave up using Windows the day I retired.

Take it back to the shop, buy them a chromebook. I've used on for years, does most of the ordinary basic stuff with no problem. One possible hiccup, it does need a wireless printer. 

I do have a pc for more esoteric stuff that I need occasionally.

23 hours ago, Slim said:

Following all the advice given (thanks everyone) I've managed to switch the PC out of S Mode. Will continue my endeavours and report back in due course   

kitten it.jpg

Edited by nbfiresprite
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 2