Change galley tap

Featured Posts

I have to change my galley tap but there is no stop cock on the hot water feed pipe under the sink. The cold feed has one fitted.

Could i just turn off the water pump at the switch and drain down what water is in the hot water pipe and retrofit a stop cock and then fit the new tap at the same time?

Or will there be a disaster if i did this?

Never done plumbing on a narrow boat before.

Thanks in advance for any advice 

12 minutes ago, Welby1965 said:

Could i just turn off the water pump at the switch and drain down what water is in the hot water pipe and retrofit a stop cock and then fit the new tap at the same time?

Yep, but you really don’t need a stop cock imho. Turning off the pump serves the same function. 

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, Welby1965 said:

I have to change my galley tap but there is no stop cock on the hot water feed pipe under the sink. The cold feed has one fitted.

Turn the pump off and change the tap, the height of it will mean you barely even get damp.

Plumbing is easy with push-fit plastic pipe. It's just like Lego. Water Lego.

Switch off the pump and open a couple of taps to release the pressure in the system. Have some old towels handy on the floor as you'll still get some water leaking out.

Edited by blackrose

2 hours ago, Welby1965 said:

Yes. Don't bother with a stopcock (another potential leak/problem)

16 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

Count your inserts before you start and count them when you have finished, so that you know that you have put one in every end!

So you are familiar with that sinking feeling as you spot the insert on the shelf just as you finish packing up

2 hours ago, DandV said:

And good luck. Getting at nuts, and having the right sized spanner, etc that hold the tap in place, can be quite a contortionists mission.

Yup, double joints and the normal number of fingers and arms for Norfolk born and bred are useful 

4 hours ago, tree monkey said:

So you are familiar with that sinking feeling as you spot the insert on the shelf just as you finish packing up  

No problem whatsoever. The joint that’s leaking, or starts leaking in a few days/weeks/months is the one you forgot...

• Greenie 1