Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, John Liley said:

A reminder of earlier attitudes. The Inland Waterways Association, vigorous at the time, delightedly republished this letter.

Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 17.03.30.png

Why is it that whenever anybody tries to do something interesting or imaginative some lickspittle always pops up with half a dozen reasons why it simply isn't possible? The first half dozen of the old BW bylaws began with 'It is an offence to'  Hardly encouraging.

• Greenie 1

Canal du Centre coming into Montceau les Mines in 2013. In recent years this canal has closed due to water supply problems by the end of August but even though the pounds were low in this year it stayed open. The main traffic was coal southwards and a lot of stone for Paris northwards.

49425A0E-0A67-4799-8CAC-56D947FD9C2B.jpeg

On 05/09/2020 at 13:03, JamesWoolcock said:

Loco 'William Francis' crossing the A5 Watling Street from Baddesley Wharf, Atherstone.

I think the life expectancy of the man with the flag would be rather short today!

Garratt loco William Francis | National Preservation

Cor, a Beyer-Garratt. I just remember, as a small boy,seeing the ex-L.M.S. ones at work. But this appears smaller, like the ones which were shipped out in quantity to South and East Africa. Owned by the National Coal Board perhaps?

2 hours ago, Athy said:

Cor, a Beyer-Garratt. I just remember, as a small boy,seeing the ex-L.M.S. ones at work. But this appears smaller, like the ones which were shipped out in quantity to South and East Africa. Owned by the National Coal Board perhaps?

Built for Baddesley Colliery at Atherstone.  Is at Bresingham, https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/beyer-peacock-company-works-no-6841-william-francis-0-4-00-4-0t/ .  Restoration is in the offing.

• Greenie 1

Just now, Chris G said:

Built for Baddesley Colliery at Atherstone.  Is at Bresingham, https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/beyer-peacock-company-works-no-6841-william-francis-0-4-00-4-0t/ .  Restoration is in the offing.

That is good news. There's an operational narrow-gauge one on the Festiniog/ Welsh Highland, but I think that's currently the only working Garratt in the country. I assume there are still a few chugging about in Africa.