Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

The Canal de Berry agin, the nearest thing to narrow boating in France:at Montlucon, the southernmost point of its southern arm; and at Marseilles-les-Aubigny, where it joined the Lateral Canal to the upper Loire. When I first went through M-les-A half a century ago, the Canal de Berry had been closed for several years, and filled in at this point, though several of its vessels remained moored in the basin there.

Screen Shot 2021-05-10 at 23.44.14.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-10 at 23.40.19.png

• Greenie 1

What amazing photos - showing just how busy the Berry was in its prime. Early 20th century>

Eight or nine years ago we travelled on the two unconnected stretches restored by the preservation association, one around Vierzon, the other I think around Marseilles-les-Aubigny. On the latter you could hire a forty-footish Springer narrowboat for the day; I think they had three of them.

I'm not sure that the preservationists (ARECABE) have made much more progress in reopening the canal since then.

In 2012 we were in the French Ardennes at a small town called Haybes Since our last visit they had put in a smart new quay although like all the towns in this part it is pretty run down. One of the main industries was iron working and lots of the cast iron ranges etc were made in the valley. Annoyingly the bell tower has a carillon which goes every 15 minutes all through the night. Photo not very sharp I’m afraid

E6C2DBA7-3E65-4363-9192-900F3971A002.jpeg

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Dav and Pen said:

In 2012 we were in the French Ardennes at a small town called Haybes Since our last visit they had put in a smart new quay although like all the towns in this part it is pretty run down. One of the main industries was iron working and lots of the cast iron ranges etc were made in the valley. Annoyingly the bell tower has a carillon which goes every 15 minutes all through the night. Photo not very sharp I’m afraid

"Carillon Ringing" sounds like one of those British comedy films with Sid James etc.

3 hours ago, Athy said:

"Carillon Ringing" sounds like one of those British comedy films with Sid James etc.

How come you remember Sid James first, when the rest of us remember Barbara Windsor??

51QwmRBTLPL._AC_SY780_.jpg

(Canal connection - Mike Lucas, founder of Mikron Theatre Company, had a small part in Carry On Camping).

Edited by David Mack
  • Greenie 1

3 hours ago, jake_crew said:

I see Mike is not credited on the film itself, but is on IMDB as a "lusty youth".

Perhaps he was part of the hippy rave at the end.

He claims to have snogged Barbara Windsor, but I've never watched the film closely enough to see if it made it to the final cut.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, PeterScott said:

and looking disgruntled, probably neither about the aqueduct nor the contraption by offside moorings (Br21/22 T&M)

Gruntled. An adjective meaning 'satisfied' or 'contented', coined by Wodehouse as the antonym to 'disgruntled' in The Code of the Woosters (1938): 'He spoke with a certain what-is-it in his voice, and I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. '

Di and I have a hovel at La Truchère where the little river Seille joins the Saône, and there is a current post on the DBA site about flooding there - where we are is used as a floodplain to avoid floods downstream in Lyon. Here are a couple of views from previous years about the same time, with the éclusier opening the lock gates to allow a péniche up off the main river, and of the Seille frontage. Luckily we are just behind this and even the high levels of 2002 didn't quite come into the house.

Re John's mention of Berrichons, the locks on the Seille are too short for a standard 38m x 5.05m péniche as after the bottom one off the Saône the rest are only 30m long.

Tam 

Bernard Martin.3 copy.jpg

Bernard Martin.1 copy.jpg

1955-6 flood.b copy.jpg

Edited by Tam & Di
Locks on the Seille
  • Greenie 4