Small space/cabin fit out

junior

Featured Posts

Does anybody have any expriences of maximising a tiny space? E.g fitting the essentials into a very small cabin. What little tricks are there? I'm looking at a boat that has a very small cabin that is ready to fit out, and would need to get into it a sink, something to cook on, somewhere to sit and then ideally somwhere for 2 guests to sleep and maybe a toilet cubicle to save having the porta potti in the engine ole'.

Something like the small cabin extentions that people put onto historic unconverted boats would be a good start. What can you fit in them? Does anyone have a photos?

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

That would never work on a boat - no restraints for the glasses or bottles

Except that's a picture of a boat - what they do with the glasses and bottles when they go to sea might be a different matter. 

image.png.c8ee6a819d8a8f3cd463889675edc91b.png

A couple of ideas in this thread for 30ft Narrowboats. You could have a look at aintree boats site which shows their layouts for their smaller beetle boats for some ideas. How long is your boat and how do you intend to use it? Leisure or live aboard? 

We have all you need in a 14 ft cabin but its very tight. Loads of compromises. We are about to start pulling it out because we have silly stuff like 2 sinks ( kitchen and bathroom) and a solid fuel stove and a gas cooker.

biggest waste of space is stuff like a cooker and a stove and a waterheater when you could have a diesel cooker, and a calorifier. Our toilet sits in the shower tray ( but in reality its in the engine hole mostly).

On 03/02/2020 at 12:29, Tumshie said:

Ages ago there was a boat for sale on the duck and she had a nice space saving table and storage area that was in keeping with a back cabin but with a modern feel. I kept these photos from the ad cos I quite liked them. 

AF6F52ED-EDAA-435F-A9F0-FD30A546B1F0.jpeg

1BBAA7F2-5F64-4391-8512-E159CA5494A1.jpeg

F8C7DAA5-82BC-4D73-B031-75AFED658B3A.jpeg

I have similar in mine, not painted white, but although I love it the thing isn't as practical as it at first seems, bit of a waste of space tbh

On 06/02/2020 at 10:16, Nightwatch said:

That has to be a ditto from me also, welcome back. How art thou?

Hi!

Yes good thank you. Been saving like mad for the last couple of years and whilst the boat budget is still small, we have found something that might be workable. But it's trad back cabin, engine room and very small cabin extension. In that extension we would need to get a sink, cooker, fridge, seating for 2 (ideally that converts into a double berth) and if possible a toilet cubicle because Charlotte is not keen on sitting on a porta potti staring at a 2 pot lister anymore! 

That's quite a lot to fit into a small cabin exgension that is probably about the size of the one on Columba above! Hope you are both well.

Edited by junior
  • Greenie 1