Warning, boat break ins, GU

matty40s

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

One FB group is now posting a photo of the suspect cruiser in the crime

Is it particularly well kitted out with stove, fridge, bike, coats shoes, food, and all kinds of stuff you would need to kit a boat out. Including the inverter! ?

3 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

One FB group is now posting a photo of the suspect cruiser in the crime

Which is quite dangerous as there are about 35-40 plastic cruisers now being lived on between Rugby and Milton Keynes from the last 2 weeks observations.

15 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Disgusting. Would a normal boater do this sort of stuff?

No.

But as in every vocation/hobby, the scummers will eventually move in every now and again.

It's a form of human entropy.

Edited by mark99

14 hours ago, The Dreamer said:

We had a mop nicked from the roof, by another boater, I kid you not!  The next day, walking along the towpath with the dog, there it was on their roof.  It was instantly recognisable by its rank appearance, thus I was not particularly troubled to get it back, but it really did pose the question “why”!

Maybe they had a similar mop which was blown into the cut by a high wind.  They then saw your mop and assumed you had stolen theirs.  So they took it back.

3 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Maybe they had a similar mop which was blown into the cut by a high wind.  They then saw your mop and assumed you had stolen theirs.  So they took it back.

Something similar happened to me a few years ago. 

I found a really nicely and distinctively painted gang plank floating along in the cut so I fished it out. I propped it up on my boat roof so it could be easily seen should the owners pass by, and next day it was gone. 

A few days later I saw a boat painted in the same colour scheme with this gang plank on the roof, back in its obviously rightful place. To this day I still wonder if they thought I'd nicked it off their roof, or realised I'd found it and propped it up for them to see.

I found a bote pole very recently in the undergrowth. The paint matched the unattended bote nearby so I put it on their roof. When they returned I asked them and yes it was theirs.

Edited by mark99

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Something similar happened to me a few years ago. 

I found a really nicely and distinctively painted gang plank floating along in the cut so I fished it out. I propped it up on my boat roof so it could be easily seen should the owners pass by, and next day it was gone. 

A few days later I saw a boat painted in the same colour scheme with this gang plank on the roof, back in its obviously rightful place. To this day I still wonder if they thought I'd nicked it off their roof, or realised I'd found it and propped it up for them to see.

If I find it in the cut, it's mine!!!!!!!!!  Mine I tell ya!

Always more saddening to hear of this happening in surprising places that seem like they should be relatively crime free! Almost makes me feel like moving back to London! It also sounds like stripping a boat like this would take a long time...were the boats in question left unattended for some days? Presumably done overnight too? ?

11 minutes ago, Dave123 said:

Always more saddening to hear of this happening in surprising places that seem like they should be relatively crime free! Almost makes me feel like moving back to London! It also sounds like stripping a boat like this would take a long time...were the boats in question left unattended for some days? Presumably done overnight too? ?

Both boats are trundling around this area for Winter, the owners live on board most of the time.