boat insurance

yallapilko

Featured Posts

Hi,

Can you help?

I'm looking to insure a 54ft narrow boat and was wondering if any of you unconnected from insuance companies (of course!) could recommend an insurer?

Any advice gratefully received.

I use Michael Stimpson at Mardon Insurance. No issues and it's very straight-forward, I suspect they're a bit more expensive than some but he does do live-aboard insurance, which we needed.

Jill

Hi,

Can you help?

I'm looking to insure a 54ft narrow boat and was wondering if any of you unconnected from insuance companies (of course!) could recommend an insurer?

Try www.craftinsure.com

A very simple site, policy underwritten with Zurich group.

I have no connection with them, other than as a customer for the past few years.

Hi,

Can you help?

I use Newton Crum, it's a good policy and a bit cheaper than most others but they do require you to fit a CO alarm, fire alarm & burglar alarm. However I have not had to make a claim yet so can't really judge their performance. tosher.

I use Michael Stimpson at Mardon Insurance. No issues and it's very straight-forward, I suspect they're a bit more expensive than some but he does do live-aboard insurance, which we needed.

Jill

Mardon was cheapest for us as new boaters I'm expecting to renew with him again in the next few weeks.

Simon.

Hi,

Can you help?

We used Mardon for a number of years and were very satisfied until I realised there was a grave potential risk in the requirements for Teddington to LImehose and possibly Teddington to Brentford (either way).

This year we switched to Saga who have no such requirement, but will not offer extensions for some of the less used tidal trips. They also fully lived up to my expectations by showering me with marketing material despite being told and written to several times that I did not want it.

I tried Newton Crum who I had a motorised dingy insured with for years, but they excluded lending my boat to non-CLOSE relatives and could not define what they ment by that. (Has implications if a guest is steering when an incident occurs).

I have a good quote from Craft Insure which I am very seriously considering except I am sure a member of this forum feel he was badly let down by them, but has declined to elucidate. Their cover and apparent willingness to offer extensions (subject to certain sensible conditions) seem ideal and my quote was cheaper than Saga.

I really would like to get to the bottom of that dissatisfaction though.

Tony Brooks

I agree with Tony Brooks.

You have to be very careful that you are comparing like for like.

Saving £20 on the premium and having a £2k claim excluded is not

good news. Marine policies are often very "personal" to the underwriter involved,

this dates back to the old "coffee house days" of Lloyds.

I examined all the policies from the main players and decided that the

one provided by Craftinsure (who are an underwriting agency and not an insurer )

best met my circumstances. Be aware, however, that policy wording can, and do,

change from year to year.

I have to say I found Michael Stimpson evasive, only slipping in at the end of our conversation that my premium didn't cover personal effects. Mardon was also far too expensive. He may charm some people but there was just something about his phone manner I didn't feel comfortable with. Another contributor on a previous thread on this subject had a much worse experience. Have a look at post 17. http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php...ichael+stimpson

I went for Craftinsure.

• 1 month later...

GJW Direct

http://gjwdirect.co.uk/

They cover me as a livaboard and expensive items of the contents can be listed

Also cover all the usual tidal bits and the bonus for me is that if I want to go that extra mile.

ie down to The Swale or across the Thames Estuary all I have to do is call them with the dates I intend to go

and they will extend my cover for free.

I also get £20 off my next premium for anyone that joins them and quotes my policy number :o

I have already been made to apologise for on line comments I made about a certain insurance co that has been mentioned

and is based in Rickmansworth so wont say anything on that subject <_<

Julian

GJW Direct

http://gjwdirect.co.uk/

They cover me as a livaboard and expensive items of the contents can be listed

Also cover all the usual tidal bits and the bonus for me is that if I want to go that extra mile.

ie down to The Swale or across the Thames Estuary all I have to do is call them with the dates I intend to go

and they will extend my cover for free.

Julian

I'll second this one.

We have had to make a claim and they were excellent

Hi we're covered by euromarine

http://www.euromarine-ltd.com/

No problems and could cover other items on the boat not covered on the policy i.e. my laptop at no extra cost.

Regards KG

Worth noting that those with household insurance contents cover will cover most items when it comes to valuing. You will be paying twice if your laptop is covered by home insurance and boat.