Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Lewis

River Avon runs dry

Featured Posts

K&A boaters advised to stay clear of the area.

 

0_770ec400-5428-459a-91a8-816f9fbdebd9.j

 

The Canal and River Trust advised boaters to not travel down the Kennet and Avon Canal to avoid being caught up in the problem.

 

The Trust sent out the following message: "We are sorry to advise that the River Avon navigation between Locks 6 and 7 is closed, due to very low water levels and the gates at the junction with the Kennet & Avon Canal are chained.

"This has occurred due to a mechanical failure of the Environment Agency’s Twerton Sluice Gates.

"Their engineers are currently on site and we will update this notice later today as information becomes available, but please be aware that we expect repairs to take some time, as a crane is required to rectify the problem."

A spokesman from the Environment Agency said: "Yesterday afternoon the Twerton Radial Gate in Bath experienced mechanical fault. Between 4pm and midnight levels in the River Avon experienced a drop of 800mm.

"Environment Agency monitoring equipment alerted us to the fault and at 8.30pm a team manually closed the gate to 95 per cent shut.

"From midnight until 7am this morning the level dropped a further 100mm, making the total drop in water level 900mm. Environment Agency contractors are on site this morning looking at the best solutions to the problem.”

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/somerset-news/how-familys-canal-boat-home-3392850

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

K&A boaters advised to stay clear of the area.

 

0_770ec400-5428-459a-91a8-816f9fbdebd9.j

 

The Canal and River Trust advised boaters to not travel down the Kennet and Avon Canal to avoid being caught up in the problem.

 

The Trust sent out the following message: "We are sorry to advise that the River Avon navigation between Locks 6 and 7 is closed, due to very low water levels and the gates at the junction with the Kennet & Avon Canal are chained.

"This has occurred due to a mechanical failure of the Environment Agency’s Twerton Sluice Gates.

"Their engineers are currently on site and we will update this notice later today as information becomes available, but please be aware that we expect repairs to take some time, as a crane is required to rectify the problem."

A spokesman from the Environment Agency said: "Yesterday afternoon the Twerton Radial Gate in Bath experienced mechanical fault. Between 4pm and midnight levels in the River Avon experienced a drop of 800mm.

"Environment Agency monitoring equipment alerted us to the fault and at 8.30pm a team manually closed the gate to 95 per cent shut.

"From midnight until 7am this morning the level dropped a further 100mm, making the total drop in water level 900mm. Environment Agency contractors are on site this morning looking at the best solutions to the problem.”

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/somerset-news/how-familys-canal-boat-home-3392850

It looks to be moored in a stupid position, right on the apex of a turn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BWM said:

It looks to be moored in a stupid position, right on the apex of a turn.

Its actually just upstream of the lock cut - the river goes straight on at this point, and is probably 150 feet wide

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, BWM said:

It looks to be moored in a stupid position, right on the apex of a turn.

you may think so, but looks can be deceiving. 

 

do you actually have any knowledge of the area?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

Its actually just upstream of the lock cut - the river goes straight on at this point, and is probably 150 feet wide

Fair enough, looking at the arrow it looked like anyone emerging from the cutting would see the front of the widebeam. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

K&A boaters advised to stay clear of the area.

 

0_770ec400-5428-459a-91a8-816f9fbdebd9.j

 

 

 

Eat your heart out Peterboat, you've got competition!

 

:giggles:

 

Mind you, I still think he could have fitted some thin walk-on ones around on the gunwales.....

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Mind you, I still think he could have fitted some thin walk-on ones around on the gunwales.....

That may have ruined the classic lines of his elegant... err... boat?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.