What is this anti slip material?

Featured Posts

Can anyone tell me what kind of anti slip material is on my boat. It is a collingwood. It definitely is not sand as it is very course like bits of metal. I need to deal with some rust spots which will have the result of giving a smooth surface and I would like to know what to sprinkle on top before the paint so I can match the surrounding anti slip areas. Otherwise it will look very patchy with different surfaces. Sand will look to fine. This stuff is all over the roof and decks. Many thanks for any ideas.

1EEC2DDE-BE62-4021-A2D0-D7CCDC142A06.jpeg

Edited by sjclarkey
Spelling

I thought that was the standard finish on Colingwood - just painting over the dust and swarf ?

This is the protectacote finish I had (but not yellow) Horrible stuff - holds all the muck / damp / slime despite scrubbing.

One of my worst boating decisions.

IMG_1328.JPG

Protectakote-Clear-Primer-Product-Data-Sheet.pdf Safekote Data Sheet.pdf

Edited by Alan de Enfield

45 minutes ago, sjclarkey said:

Can anyone tell me what kind of anti slip material is on my boat. It is a collingwood. It definitely is not sand as it is very course like bits of metal. I need to deal with some rust spots which will have the result of giving a smooth surface and I would like to know what to sprinkle on top before the paint so I can match the surrounding anti slip areas. Otherwise it will look very patchy with different surfaces. Sand will look to fine. This stuff is all over the roof and decks. Many thanks for any ideas.

1EEC2DDE-BE62-4021-A2D0-D7CCDC142A06.jpeg

Looks exactly like sand to me!!

The roof of our last shareboat was redone using crushed walnut shells. Very grippy but much coarser than sand.

Both the painted sand and the crushed walnut finishes were fairly easy to clean using diluted Aldi Caravan Cleaner and a stiff brush.

Could be carborundum, its available in many grades and being inert and hard  does not soak water or wear away.

I use childrens' play sand sprinkled on wet paint and then overpainted.

I am going to try sugar one day, it has the advantage in that it can be dissolved and washed off to leave just the textured paint finish.