Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
W+T

Project OBD ( Norman 32 )

Featured Posts

Well I didn't spot you this morning but you have just moored up behind us!

 

That was MrsBiscuits you spoke to ... I was out in the pub.

 

 

IMG_20190817_162947744_HDR.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Well I didn't spot you this morning but you have just moored up behind us!

 

That was MrsBiscuits you spoke to ... I was out in the pub.

 

 

IMG_20190817_162947744_HDR.jpg

 

 

 

Well fancy that. We got there just after 4pm. I was wondering on the trip if we would bump into anyone. Any the way my brother is controlling the boat it could well be literally.  

 

I may of got it wrong when we was looking where to leave it as i was after the off side moorings just back a bit near the car park but no access to the boat from off side path. I was concerned as there are no signs up where you are moored if its private or limited time wise.

 

Ah my BW key, i dropped one in so lucky i have another spare at home i think, thats why i asked Mrs Biscuits if i could moor there. .  

 

We are supposed to be be back at the boat 8 am and leaving for Lathom junction. I will be as quite as possible kida incase your both still kipping ;) 

Edited by W+T

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, W+T said:

We are supposed to be be back at the boat 8 am and leaving

We'll be up and about.  A couple of kids were looking interested in your boat last night but ran off when challenged.

 

We shifted your windlass out of sight as you had left it very visible, but we might have been too late ... Someone has chucked fruit cider cans into your boat.

 

The worst part is that some of them are full! :giggles:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a disaster today has been up to now. 

 

Got to me Pete ( The Biscuits ) this morning, the look out last night for OBD, chasing of scrotes from nicking my lady Cider i left on board. 

 

Good to meet you kida.

 

So the disaster, we set off but after maybe half hour we ran out of diesel again, very unexpected as i put 5l in yesterday afternoon.  

 

So stuck now with the boat opposite the stadium. i dragged it back to an access road as the batteries after an hour trying to bleed the lines and now they are dead, so i walked back to the car got it and now home charging them up for a second go later on. 

 

Plan now, get back and if we can start it up fine and might crack on to Lathom junction maybe 4hrs away or Crooke Marina. which is 1.5hrs away.

 

If it doesnt fire up then we are taking the Zodiac and going to moor the boat off side with no access from public and use the Zodiac to get to tow path.

 

Happy days, luving it large :):) 

 

 

PS

 

i am holding off the crane still lol.

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, W+T said:

What a disaster today has been up to now. 

 

Got to me Pete ( The Biscuits ) this morning, the look out last night for OBD, chasing of scrotes from nicking my lady Cider i left on board. 

 

Good to meet you kida.

 

So the disaster, we set off but after maybe half hour we ran out of diesel again, very unexpected as i put 5l in yesterday afternoon.  

 

So stuck now with the boat opposite the stadium. i dragged it back to an access road as the batteries after an hour trying to bleed the lines and now they are dead, so i walked back to the car got it and now home charging them up for a second go later on. 

 

Plan now, get back and if we can start it up fine and might crack on to Lathom junction maybe 4hrs away or Crooke Marina. which is 1.5hrs away.

 

If it doesnt fire up then we are taking the Zodiac and going to moor the boat off side with no access from public and use the Zodiac to get to tow path.

 

Happy days, luving it large :):) 

 

 

PS

 

i am holding off the crane still lol.

The inflateable is a brilliant idea for when you moor offside in Scrotesville!

Hope you get moving soon.

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

Oooh it's longer than I thought it would be.

Well atleast you appreciate the size SWMBO said i thought it would be bigger, huh

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, W+T said:

Well atleast you appreciate the size SWMBO said i thought it would be bigger, huh

It ain't all about the size of the boat,its about the motion in the ocean.

 

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok where are we with the Norman, as i have a spare hour or so from bloody block paving, the house that is not the boat, and totally knackered i will give a late update. I say late as we have been busy cruising Khashoggi and getting the Norman to its home mooring as you will see.


We ended up at Wigan Pier where i had decided on going the rest of the way by road transport. This was due to a vibration from the prop/drive when the revs get up to maybe 1500rpm, so not good to do the Ribble Link. Dont want to damage it more than it is.

I called around local Hiab companies to see who will take the job on, After calling around a good few they were coming back at between £450-£500 for the 30 mile trip. Average i reckon from the last move si have done but then found a place that does it by the hour.....ooooeeeerrr, not one of them places



So i worked it on 4hr job and at £55ph its not bad at all.I have all details to the woman on the phone and all good to go.

Well the day began with us being up at 5am as i used the works van to get my cradles to the boat the day before so i had to drop the van off Tuesday before 6am as i have the week off work.Oh well no biggie as we then set off to the Norman to get it ready for the lift. Thing is we hadnt been given an Am or PM time for the lift. We Had a half hour cruise to the lift spot, so dinghy again to get the boat over to the towpath side, move the car to lift spot then walk back to cruise the boat up.

Well all going well and on time but for me loosing the Anti vandal vandal key for the locks, but as lucky and unlucky as i am i found that i had left my socket set on the boat and in my tool bag had a spare screw bit adaptor. I knocked that into the 10mm head end and the 1/4 drive socket fits the the Anti vandal key



So happy days we set off, two locks and got there about 8am to the lift site, only to find the crane driver wont be there until 12am, oh well off to Mc D`s



He arrived dead on 12m and when i started to chat to him he didnt have a clue hoe to lift a boat as never done one before



Some folk would of thought WTF, but nah crack on and he asked me how to go about it, so i did all the lifting but for manouvering the crane. I should of got discount lol.

Video of the lift 

https://youtu.be/9dsk9LKuric

 

image: https://i.postimg.cc/3rqXsCLV/20190827-130817.jpg

20190827-130817.jpg

image: https://i.postimg.cc/N0Qm6NM9/20190827-130754.jpg

20190827-130754.jpg


Intake clogged up
 

image: https://i.postimg.cc/JhvPYYQP/INTAKE-2.jpg

INTAKE-2.jpg

Hull, not bad to see the state of the rest of the boat.
 

image: https://i.postimg.cc/FHNVpFCH/20190827-132135.jpg

20190827-132135.jpg

image: https://i.postimg.cc/VNH9zqfJ/20190827-132122.jpg

20190827-132122.jpg

image: https://i.postimg.cc/NFZRRB9B/20190827-130500.jpg

20190827-130500.jpg


Now the thing that was giving it the wobble. 

It took some getting out, infact i had to cut it as short as possible. I have collected all sorts in the past in the prop but never a large inner tube 

 

image: https://i.postimg.cc/7ZskhDxh/rudder-prop.jpg

rudder-prop.jpg
 

 

Think i will make a new rudder like i did with Khashoggi

 

image: https://i.postimg.cc/VkqXbyYP/20190827-130507.jpg

20190827-130507.jpg

And lifted back in at Garstang Marina

https://youtu.be/NLVC1TMCHgg


As said, a half hour cruise home just a few moorings up from Khashoggi

 

image: https://i.postimg.cc/5Nd2ZXVb/20190827-170626.jpg

20190827-170626.jpg

image: https://i.postimg.cc/9fnW1Mb3/20190827-160745.jpg

20190827-160745.jpg

image: https://i.postimg.cc/Hk3Wc37k/20190827-160815.jpg

20190827-160815.jpg

Plan is now to get it water tight from top down, being replace all windows and rear cabin door to be made, either wood or GRP not decided yet on that. Then the cockpit roof to be made wit canvas sides. And go from there.
 

Edited by W+T
  • Greenie 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the photos/videos, and for making Wigan town centre look tidier again. :giggles:

 

I hope you fixed the reversing kick-back lock while you had it out of the water! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Thanks for the photos/videos, and for making Wigan town centre look tidier again. :giggles:

 

I hope you fixed the reversing kick-back lock while you had it out of the water! :D

Nah didnt bother as the leg is coming home aswel as the engine this winter.  I think the boat fitted in well there next to the narrow boats that were moored there  :)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now the hard work starts Wayne, the bottom looks better than the topsides, give me a shout if you have any jobs that need an extra hand, more than happy to lend a hand...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, W+T said:

Nah didnt bother as the leg is coming home aswel as the engine this winter.  I think the boat fitted in well there next to the narrow boats that were moored there  :)

Your propeller looks well shot in your pictures, probably causing a lot of your vibration problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Flyboy said:

Your propeller looks well shot in your pictures, probably causing a lot of your vibration problem.

I agree.  It looks corroded too. 

Anodes absent or long since spent perhaps. 

 

The prop  may be repairable.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, jocave said:

Now the hard work starts Wayne, the bottom looks better than the topsides, give me a shout if you have any jobs that need an extra hand, more than happy to lend a hand...

It does :)  and yes i agree bottom is better nick lol. who`d a thowt it hey.  

Do i remember correctly you are up on the Lank`y now ? 

 

 

12 hours ago, Flyboy said:

Your propeller looks well shot in your pictures, probably causing a lot of your vibration problem.

 

40 minutes ago, MartynG said:

I agree.  It looks corroded too. 

Anodes absent or long since spent perhaps. 

 

The prop  may be repairable.

 

 

 

I put the vibration down to the inner tube for the reason it was running spot on untill we got to Leigh on the fourth cruise back when we picked up loads of rubbish between Boothstown and Leigh. Must be the canal local dumping ground. Worst stretch of the trip. 

 

I will be replacing the prop, its to far gone, a few chunks out of it so to much to repair cost wise.   

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, W+T said:

 

I will be replacing the prop, its to far gone, a few chunks out of it so to much to repair cost wise.   

While a new prop is the best plan it is almost always cheaper to repair.

Whether you go for new or repair try    streamlinedpropellers.co.uk

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MartynG said:

While a new prop is the best plan it is almost always cheaper to repair.

Whether you go for new or repair try    streamlinedpropellers.co.uk

 

 

Thanks for that, i will see whats what then when i remove it. Will not be until next year though when i get it out the water. Looks very cheap to get repaired, very surprised :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MartynG said:

While a new prop is the best plan it is almost always cheaper to repair.

Whether you go for new or repair try    streamlinedpropellers.co.uk

 

 

Hit a submerged wheelbarrow with my outboard,so hard ,it knocked the engine about 30 degrees sideways,

Thought the prop was knackered,(it certainly looked it) but sent it to Streamlined for repair,and it came back like new!  For about half the price of a new prop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Canal321 said:

How goes the project ? :)

 

 

Very slow going at the minute, trying to put things in order at home and with the project to get it started on. I have had to sort things to help work on it easier where it is. And i have been faffing to get the last touches done on Khashoggi so i crack on with Cozacan so not to get to distracted.

 

And cruising a bit on Khahsoggi ;)

 

I will update in the next week or two i hope as where i am.

 

Hey i have bought the cleats for it  :) 

 

The shopping list has started. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now we can let the fun begin properly. Its taken time as said in last post i have been sorting the house out with a few jobs and finishing of a few jobs. on Khashoggi. 

 

Today i took up this wee beast for the sole purpose of getting gear down the boggy field to Cozacan, and be lazy in the good weather. 

 

I paid £100 for it and fitted decent tractor tread tyres, new drive belts and battery. I am happy to say it did the job with ease even pulling the trailer. Its  We did get stuck once but its finding the best route through the field where its less boggy. A quick bounce up and down to get traction back and away we went again. 

 

You could say boys and toys but this is the only way i will be getting gear to the boat, cant see me carrying 8x4 sheets and gear 600yrds nowadays. 

 

75543682_10221018857565977_145412895264473088_n.jpg.98a2bb322be842c0e027210646159c44.jpg74670746_10221018862966112_9196446895466086400_n.jpg.914409d9827ed98e7fcc1e4d3e189f50.jpg

 

 

Sooooo

 

Next weekend its rip out the what i can, lining first and decide if i want to remove the inner skin which will give maybe 10mm more heard room as i am still undecided on which insulation to go for. Its either PIR again or spray foam, then theres the 3M to look at but that as thick or thicker than the 25mm max i want on the cabin top and sides down to the gunnel.

 

On deciding what to do there i need to remove all the windows and get the glazed. Along with making a rear cockpit screen and hardtop. I have Sapele int workshop for the rear cabin door frame work. Also still cant decide if to make a full timber door or GRP one. 

 

I am off already with cant bloody decide arnt I.

 

Now a little happy but a little irritated as T now wants to go with me on the idea of living on a boat / very long term cruising and it was either get a bigger boat or this Norman, the Norman being a leisure boat as things were different back then.  

 

I was/am considering extending it by another ten foot as that would help a lot with a liveaboard/long tern cruiser. That will not get in the way on the plans ahead for the next 6 months as lots to do. Just to think on.

 

Well that aside for me to sleep n lets crack on :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just popped in to say there will be no update for a while as plans have changed, not for the worst though. 

 

As some may be aware i like a challenge and project to involve all sorts of tasks.

 

I know there will be a few if not loads of folk saying it cant be done, it will cost to much and not worth if the boat and no cost gain in the boat in the end etc etc. 

 

So to the plan

 

I am going to bring it home :) T suggested it before she get the Oh poor woman having to put up with him lol

 

I will be extending it to 44-45 foot long with adding the length to the rear cabin where the portholes are. With that it will be  a reverse layout aswell. I will be building a trolley/trailer to do the extension. I have a pair of good size axles here and then build a extendable chassis frame etc to slide the boat apart once cut to help keep it square and level. There will be bracing for the rear section to keep it from flexing but the font half will be held in place as there s the rear bulkhead to do that job. 

 

One problem is an Artic will not get down to our house to remove it once extended therefore the boat will have the extension added to the rear section then fully rebuilt etc in two halves but for the galley which is where the cut is. 

 

I will transport it to a marina/yard and finish it off there

 

 

So thats it in the short of whats to be done.

 

Now as always any thoughts are welcome, good and bad, but as said i like challenge and full on project and i think this is my best yet :):) 

 

 

Admiral Faffer :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/11/2019 at 17:23, W+T said:

Just popped in to say there will be no update for a while as plans have changed, not for the worst though. 

 

As some may be aware i like a challenge and project to involve all sorts of tasks.

 

I know there will be a few if not loads of folk saying it cant be done, it will cost to much and not worth if the boat and no cost gain in the boat in the end etc etc. 

 

So to the plan

 

I am going to bring it home :) T suggested it before she get the Oh poor woman having to put up with him lol

 

I will be extending it to 44-45 foot long with adding the length to the rear cabin where the portholes are. With that it will be  a reverse layout aswell. I will be building a trolley/trailer to do the extension. I have a pair of good size axles here and then build a extendable chassis frame etc to slide the boat apart once cut to help keep it square and level. There will be bracing for the rear section to keep it from flexing but the font half will be held in place as there s the rear bulkhead to do that job. 

 

One problem is an Artic will not get down to our house to remove it once extended therefore the boat will have the extension added to the rear section then fully rebuilt etc in two halves but for the galley which is where the cut is. 

 

I will transport it to a marina/yard and finish it off there

 

 

So thats it in the short of whats to be done.

 

Now as always any thoughts are welcome, good and bad, but as said i like challenge and full on project and i think this is my best yet :):) 

 

 

Admiral Faffer :)

I take my hat off to you sir... Well done and dont loose sight...

I have also bought a cabin cruiser that needs a complete refit and paint etc but its all the painting and wood work etc that makes it fun and interesting.. Im 100 percent behind you with this one mate and im following with great interest. Keep the up dates coming

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.