Best Boat Engine

seaandland

Featured Posts

Best boat engine? Depends what kind of boat. Narrowboat i suppose it'd be Russell Newbery DM2 or maybe Lister JP2 in terms of successful workboat engines. 'National' engines were built to RN patents under license and were also widely used.

I'm a bit pretty big Lister fan, meself, but I'm liking alsorts of older slower revving engines.

The exhaust note from my little 30 footer which has a single Sabb is pretty hard to beat but that's my own opinion :P

Go on, have another look at mine. It may not be the best (though it's pretty damn good) but as far as we can tell, it's the only.

And what about the Bolinder? I wouldn't want to own one, but I'll listen to someone else's all day long. Well, you didn't say best for what.

Edited by WarriorWoman

I think there are two lines of attack with an internal combustion engine on a narrowboat.

- One is a revy japanese four cylinder thing with soft mounts flexable drive and the best silencer and matting you can get.

- The other, and the one i think i would go for if it wasnt for the steam thing, is a slow reving thumping great big noise lump.

As for eaxctly which, its a matter of choice, but you can go far wrong as long as it revs out before 2000rpm and has three or less cylinders.

I wouldnt mind crewing a day or so with a bollinder either if someones offering. You have to try these things. And they sound nice!

Daniel

I wouldnt mind crewing a day or so with a bollinder either if someones offering. You have to try these things. And they sound nice!

Daniel

Although not a Bolinder, the same principle is there with the original single cylinder semi diesel Gardner in "Stork" the W.H. Cowburn & Cowpar motor. I know the lad, Paul who owns it and for years he's been promising me a chance at the tiller. The only problem is that we can never seem to get the timing right. The last chance I had was when we met up in the Leigh Arms at Acton Bridge. Unfortunately, we were on the River Weaver, facing south and he was on the Trent & Mersey, heading north. Doh!

Dan, I'm sure that if you hang around the Boat Museum at Ellesmere long enough you'd get your chance. If you joined as a member it would give you the oppurtunity to muck in and meet new people if you're into that, of course.

My Armstrong Siddeley AS3.

Starts with one turn, ran after being sunk for a year (and after being in the middle of a big fire), uses very little diesel, sounds very sexy and is air-cooled.

Is that the same engine she has had for years carl, I thought it was a lister back in the olden days (80's) :P but then I was more interested in girls and beer back then and the only two things that bothered me about engines were that they started and they revved slow..... to be fair thats all that bothers me about engines these days too.

Is that the same engine she has had for years carl, I thought it was a lister back in the olden days (80's) :P but then I was more interested in girls and beer back then and the only two things that bothered me about engines were that they started and they revved slow..... to be fair thats all that bothers me about engines these days too.

She had an SR3 put in when Ken Keay converted her for the MCNP but was replaced by the AS3.

To quote David Perris, the former owner who wrote to me:

"The SR3 was grossly underpowered and so noisy so we fitted an AS3 which we got out of a crane, and adapted a Parsons box to fit the PTO bellhousing as we could not obtain a proper parsons adapter at the time. The engine was re-sleeved and extra compression rings fitted, but it still smoked like a chimney! I never did get round to modifying the cylinder heads but at least I wasn't deafened on each trip"

Yeah, the plant in severn is a nice item as well. Not sure about all the smoke rings tho, novalty for rallys tho!

imgp2931qx6.jpg

And, if only for the noise, a little video! :

Daniel

Asbolutely cracking!

Stork also blows smoke rings but the engine doesn't "misfire" like a Bolinder does, it still sounds amazing though. I'm waiting for the day when I get my hands on the controls. Might get a bit tricky with the reverse rod, speedwheel, oil rod etc <_<

Yeah!

- I always forget what the engine in severn is, but like stoke its not actually a bolinder, but a sefle out of an FMC boat (owl maybe?).

What always gets me is though just the AMOUNT of smoke even out of one running well, and the POWER in that exhaust stroke, but the sounds of the hit-and-miss governor really does turn it from a bloody noise, to a positively orgasmic experience.

- Joe says his dad once took a 15hp bolinder (not sure what boat) though harecastle and came out with about 5 half bricks on the roof, even with a cutter.

Daniel

Yeah!

- I always forget what the engine in severn is, but like stoke its not actually a bolinder, but a sefle out of an FMC boat (owl maybe?).

What always gets me is though just the AMOUNT of smoke even out of one running well, and the POWER in that exhaust stroke, but the sounds of the hit-and-miss governor really does turn it from a bloody noise, to a positively orgasmic experience.

- Joe says his dad once took a 15hp bolinder (not sure what boat) though harecastle and came out with about 5 half bricks on the roof, even with a cutter.

Daniel

I might be wrong here but I've always thought for some reason that the 9hp Bolinder Pup was the one that had the hit and miss governor, when the larger 15hp Bolinder was pretty much even, like an ordinary single?

Severn was also on one of the Waterworlds which I managed to source so I could watch it on my PC... cracking boat and nice to see another couple of younger faces, especially those involved with working boats.

Dan, lol... sounds like you should ask Joe's dad to go through again as the tunnel roof appears to be getting lower... don't forget the hard hat and ear protectors though <_<