Universal credit for continous cruising licence

Horton

Featured Posts

Does anyone know ? Why universal credit stopped paying continous cruising licences? When the law changed ? I'm on a 6mth licence they paid 6 month's ago they wont pay now ? & they wont pay boat safely certificate , I don't know what to do I cant find a mooring within Wiltshire for a 62ft please help.

Edited by Horton

33 minutes ago, Horton said:

Does anyone know ? Why universal credit stopped paying continous cruising licences? When the law changed ? I'm on a 6mth licence they paid 6 month's ago they wont pay now ? & they wont pay boat safely certificate , I don't know what to do I cant find a mooring within Wiltshire for a 62ft please help.

Why not look in the horse's mouth, phone the DWP, Dept of Work & Pensions, they will know?  Local housing benefit should still apply, many claim it.

There is an excellent Facebook group called ‘benefits for boaters (liveaboards) where you can get advice from those that work in this area. In essence I believe there was a case recently which ruled that license costs didn’t have to be included. Many areas have stopped paying as a result. It is I believe being appealed.

• Greenie 1

44 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Why not look in the horse's mouth, phone the DWP, Dept of Work & Pensions, they will know?  Local housing benefit should still apply, many claim it.

If someone is on universal credit they don't get housing benefit from the local council. Mooring fees are included in the UC award at the lowest local rate, Things like insurance and BSS are classed as normal costs to be funded out the basic award atleast thats the case around here. 

16 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Any chance of employment? Think that there are extras you can claim if on a low income.

Don't need to seek employment, happy with the Job I have. I help out at the local Job Club once a week, so have came to know the problems with UC, As well as handing my disabled nephews UC claim.

There was extras with the old system, Now there is a limited basic pot of cash that each job centre has, And when that pot is empty for that year no more cash. This is for things like travel to interviews if the travel time is longer than 90 minuites and than only if the Job coach thinks that you may have a chance of getting the job, If they don't think you will get the job no help with travel costs. The old job grant of £100 when starting a job lasting more than three months went in June 2010. The job centre rarely pays out for job starting or hunting costs today. The only usefull thing for Jobhunter given out by the Job Centre after 3 months is the Jobseekers Travel Card but than that is funded by the bus and rail compaines and not the Job Centre and lasts three months. The standard Universal Credit allowance each month is £317.82, for this area the maximum amount that will be paid out for mooring fees is £103.74 any shortfall you are expected to pay  out of the basic allowness either that or down size to a shorter boat any money left over would be counted as income.

2 hours ago, nbfiresprite said:

Don't need to seek employment, happy with the Job I have. I help out at the local Job Club once a week, so have came to know the problems with UC, As well as handing my disabled nephews UC claim.

There was extras with the old system, Now there is a limited basic pot of cash that each job centre has, And when that pot is empty for that year no more cash. This is for things like travel to interviews if the travel time is longer than 90 minuites and than only if the Job coach thinks that you may have a chance of getting the job, If they don't think you will get the job no help with travel costs. The old job grant of £100 when starting a job lasting more than three months went in June 2010. The job centre rarely pays out for job starting or hunting costs today. The only usefull thing for Jobhunter given out by the Job Centre after 3 months is the Jobseekers Travel Card but than that is funded by the bus and rail compaines and not the Job Centre and lasts three months. The standard Universal Credit allowance each month is £317.82, for this area the maximum amount that will be paid out for mooring fees is £103.74 any shortfall you are expected to pay  out of the basic allowness either that or down size to a shorter boat any money left over would be counted as income.

This is a depressing but familiar story, benefits controlled by what the government allocates with no regards to actual needs in a particular area.. Nothing new though, this sort of thinking has been going on for many many years.

...............Dave

If a continuous cruiser, why limit your search for a mooring to Wiltshire? If UC will pay for one elsewhere that should give you a base to work from. Things like insurance and safety certificates will be treated as normal living expenses,but having to move round the country for one reason or another is fairly normal. 

53 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

If a continuous cruiser, why limit your search for a mooring to Wiltshire? If UC will pay for one elsewhere that should give you a base to work from. Things like insurance and safety certificates will be treated as normal living expenses,but having to move round the country for one reason or another is fairly normal. 

Wiltshire has been very supportive of low income liveaboard boaters over the last few years. There are other areas that are also sympathetic but many that are not, so the OP is probably much better off staying in Wiltshire unless she knows of somewhere else to go, and the K&A in Wiltshire is really rather nice.

...........Dave

• 5 months later...
On 26/04/2019 at 12:29, dmr said:

This is a depressing but familiar story, benefits controlled by what the government allocates with no regards to actual needs in a particular area.. Nothing new though, this sort of thinking has been going on for many many years.

...............Dave

Universal basic income is what you need. Google andrew yang and find your UK version of him. Johnson seems to imitate trump quite well. Im sure we can find someone. 

• Greenie 1

21 hours ago, cksantos85 said:

Universal basic income is what you need. Google andrew yang and find your UK version of him. Johnson seems to imitate trump quite well. Im sure we can find someone. 

different part of UK has different cost of living, would not giving same amount of basic income be unfair?

20 minutes ago, cksantos85 said:

Long term that is the plan. Get people to move to country and even out population. People will move where its cheap and the expensive places will get marginally cheaper

That is not how it works over here which is why 90% of the boats moored in London are there

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

That is not how it works over here which is why 90% of the boats moored in London are there

I mean thats population dynamics of cities. One of the interesting parts of UBi is that it would apply a counter pressure. Not eliminate but push back a bit. Facinating perspective on the distribution of canal boats i didnt realize it was that bad. 

Edited by cksantos85

Its not the distribution of boats, its just that 90% of those moored in the London area, well cruising actually because they are not officially moored is because it offers cheap housing in the London area. Anywhere else and the probably 90% or even more of the occupancy is because they want to live on a boat, not as a cheap way to be in one place.

21 hours ago, cksantos85 said:

Move. Its unfair to give diff amounts of money. 

I would say its unfair to not give certain extra benefits based on geographical location, health, disability etc.

Also what is the point of taking tax money and giving it back to tax payers, its pretty inefficient, one of the reasons why the last conservative govt removed low income people from tax bracket altogether.

1 hour ago, restlessnomad said:

I would say its unfair to not give certain extra benefits based on geographical location, health, disability etc.

Also what is the point of taking tax money and giving it back to tax payers, its pretty inefficient, one of the reasons why the last conservative govt removed low income people from tax bracket altogether.

In combination with a VAT tax Universal basic income is much more efficient than a complicated government program with requirements that cause social stratification. Welfare requirements keep the poor poor. I dunno about the UK but in the US our welfare is effective however its cost effectiveness is horrible. We spend 2 to 3 dollars for every dollar of benefits. Where as a ubi get close to 1 to 1. The money will be spent and super charge economy. Trickle up. Changing things for geography would reduce its effectiveness in attracting young folks away from the cities and into rural areas that are disappearing economically. 

7 minutes ago, CompairHolman said:

UI would cause a dangerous stampede of immigrants trying to get to the UK, it would require far more effective border control than we have now. It would remove all the checks and balances of the benefits system and declare open house to the worlds poor. 

Yup my tother half works for the DWP and they wouldnt be able to cope

1 hour ago, CompairHolman said:

UI would cause a dangerous stampede of immigrants trying to get to the UK, it would require far more effective border control than we have now. It would remove all the checks and balances of the benefits system and declare open house to the worlds poor. 

Close the borders and shoot. I joke of course. I dunno I cant solve that one easily. I would argue that automation is a bigger threat to UK citizens than immigrants are. Plus arent you guys imploding from brexit soon. I feel like johnsons govt wouldent touch this with a 10 foot pole anyway. As a UK thought experiment VS american ubi the differences are interesting and fascinating. It would have to be EU wideor perhaps global. Immigration would get crazyer than it is but perhaps thiers a way to fix that. 

Edited by cksantos85

8 hours ago, CompairHolman said:

You mean we'd be able to staff the NHS, get the fruit picked, have a care system for the elderly that worked, and stuff like that? Truly a terrifying prospect. 

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

You mean we'd be able to staff the NHS, get the fruit picked, have a care system for the elderly that worked, and stuff like that? Truly a terrifying prospect. 

No, not unless you believe in a Ponzi scheme of adding to the population to fill job vacancies to staff public services that the new citizens use themselves that then require more staff ad infinitum . 

• Greenie 2

Apart from the already mentioned problem of 'freedom of movement' there's another issue in Britain that makes it a non starter. Currently, the need of people to have tax payer's money is often perceived based on which group they fall into. The group 'families with children' is particularly well blessed with handouts. The principle of UBI is that a single payment to everyone is made regardless of circumstances. Just imagine if those with large families, some of whom receive close to 2 minimum wages in handouts had their payments cut, and a person without children got the same payment.

It would never be allowed to happen. More likely is UBI plus the existing benefits paid to the selected favoured groups. That would defeat one of UBI's major advantages; simplicity.