Sky HD+ Box on 12v?

Biggles

Featured Posts

Do the boxes concerned have a separate DC power supply?

Probably not quite the same thing, but when digi boxes were about, I picked one up in Asda which happened to have a 12V DC power supply. It was so cheap that I risked it and ran straight off the boat batteries. We used it in this manner for years. There is a risk involved though!

Edited by Guest

I am wondering if (with a bit of modification) a Sky HD+ box can be run directly from 12v?

I'm almost certain that this is not feasible, the power unit in a sky box is very complex with multiple output voltages. Or it used to be, unless things have changed lately, think more computer than receiver.

There is a small Pace receiver available that runs on 12V but these are a bit long in the tooth nowadays. Don't confuse Sky boxes with Freesat boxes.

I would say no. It's a bit of a PC inside with various supply voltages. And quite power hungry too (check how warm it gets in operation). We have a Humax Freesat HD recording box (mains operated) and it takes about 90 watts. In combination with our led TV which is fairly economical, they use around 120w aka 10 amps. I think a sky+ HD box will use even more.The non-recording non-HD box we had before used much less power, and the current box's impact on the batteries over an evening's viewing is significant.

I would say no. It's a bit of a PC inside with various supply voltages. And quite power hungry too (check how warm it gets in operation). We have a Humax Freesat HD recording box (mains operated) and it takes about 90 watts. In combination with our led TV which is fairly economical, they use around 120w aka 10 amps. I think a sky+ HD box will use even more.The non-recording non-HD box we had before used much less power, and the current box's impact on the batteries over an evening's viewing is significant.

This is why I'm asking. I have noticed that my HD+ box uses about 3amps (a/h) just on standby and 5 when it's on then there is the inverter overhead. Fortunately the AV systems have their own MCB which is firmly turned off when not in use. I might even put in a MCB with a timer on it. Any links for this would be welcome.

This is why I'm asking. I have noticed that my HD+ box uses about 3amps (a/h) just on standby and 5 when it's on then there is the inverter overhead. Fortunately the AV systems have their own MCB which is firmly turned off when not in use. I might even put in a MCB with a timer on it. Any links for this would be welcome.

Hager EH010 is a timer that fits on the DIN rail of a consumer unit. I only know of these because there is one controlling the Economy 7 Storage heaters in a flat we have just bought.

I have a Sky box that receives many channels without subscription. Not sure how many more could be received with Freesat.

Dave

The Sky box can receive more free channels as it can see all free to air (FTA) channels as well as free to view (FTV) which the freesat box can't.

If you don't have a sky card to view the FTV channels you can get one from Sky for around £5

Edited by Robbo

Please could someone enlighten me -

What is the point of HD TV on a NB or even a BNB?

Unless the TV is 40" plus there is very little difference in perceived picture quality (IME) between the two.

Even disregarding the above, it you've anything larger than (say 24") the power consumption of the Sky box will be relatively small when compared with the TV's power.

I run a 24" monitor TV and a Humax recorder on the boat and the combined power draw is less than 60W.

Unless the TV is 40" plus there is very little difference in perceived picture quality (IME) between the two.

Even disregarding the above, it you've anything larger than (say 24") the power consumption of the Sky box will be relatively small when compared with the TV's power.

I run a 24" monitor TV and a Humax recorder on the boat and the combined power draw is less than 60W.

Probably not a lot of point true.

I think the issue is that you have no choice really. If you want the facility to pause rewind fast forward and record on Sky the box you need to do this is an HD one.

You can't get Sky plus any more without HD.

http://www.sky.com/products/kit/sky-plus-hd-box/

Edited by The Dog House

I'll have a go :)

I have a 22" TV and watch Freeview channels. The HD versions of the various channels are streets ahead of the non- HD versions IMHO.

Given the width of the boat, my eyes are probably usually about 4 or 5 ft from the TV, as against the 10-12 ft from our 40" at home.

I am wondering if (with a bit of modification) a Sky HD+ box can be run directly from 12v?

Without looking inside one it's hard to say for sure, maybe post a decent pic of the insides of one?

It probably needs 12V and 5V for the internal 3.5" drive, just a case of finding the supply outputs then tapping into those with a clean regulated supply.

I had a 17" flat screen and it's internal supply for the 12V made a high pitched squeal, so I supplied it with 12V externally.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

Without looking inside one it's hard to say for sure, maybe post a decent pic of the insides of one?

It probably needs 12V and 5V for the internal 3.5" drive, just a case of finding the supply outputs then tapping into those with a clean regulated supply.

I had a 17" flat screen and it's internal supply for the 12V made a high pitched squeal, so I supplied it with 12V externally.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

This is sort of what I thought. It's basically a computer with a smart power supply bringing 240v down to what the board will work with, which I guess is like a PC being 12v and 5v.

I wish I had a spare HD+ box for someone to play with. I'm sure if this could be cracked there would be a market for it.

I think Martyn from Travelsat who advertises regularly in canal magazines sells 12v Sky+ boxes. Not sure if they are HD though. I don't have any mags to hand to check.

Ken

I don't think his are TBH.

I am open to correction but I still don't think you can get Sky+ boxes with a 12V supply. He used to (or still does seemingly) retail the ordinary 12V Sky boxes (Pace) but these were not the + version.

http://www.travelsat.me.uk/satellite-receivers/satellitereceivers.html

In short you can have + or you can have 12V but you can't have both.

I have the full sky package in HD and my box is supplied with 12v. It is not an official skybox but works fine. It comes with a 240v plug and adaptor to convert to 12v then a jack plug which is 12v that plugs into the back of the box, similar to a laptop power supply. There is no reason why it wouldn't work off a battery instead of the adaptor. It does take a sky card but doesn't need one for the freeview channels. My TV is similar.

There are many like this but here is a link to a very user friendly one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Spiderbox-6000-HD-USB-PVR-LAN-Built-in-WiFi-Satellite-Receiver-/321129639956?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Satellite_TV_Receivers&hash=item4ac4d17014

Also they are a fraction of the cost of an officail skybox. You can also put a memory stick or hard drive into the usb for recording. Another good point is the tuner being better so it picks up on a weak signal much better.

Twin tuner if you want to watch a different channel whilst recording.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GOLDEN-MEDIA-WIZARD-VOTE-HD-Twin-Tuner-Satellite-Receiver-DVB-S2-DVB-S2-/151185407096?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Satellite_TV_Receivers&hash=item23335a3c78

Edited by bigste

Good info. bigste but I still don't think we are talking full comparability with Sky+ are we?

Recording and play back is one thing but do either of those offer pause - fast forward - rewind of live TV?

Edited by The Dog House

I don't think his are TBH.

I am open to correction but I still don't think you can get Sky+ boxes with a 12V supply. He used to (or still does seemingly) retail the ordinary 12V Sky boxes (Pace) but these were not the + version.

http://www.travelsat.me.uk/satellite-receivers/satellitereceivers.html

In short you can have + or you can have 12V but you can't have both.

I think you may be right. I just checked his latest advert and he does sell Sky+HD but doesn't mention the voltage so they may well be 240volt.

Ken

It's getting complicated and will confuse almost everybody. Here's what I have gleaned:-

The Pace Javelin (the only 12v SKY box) was a receiver only and was only SD

The Pace 3100 is a mains twin channel SD recorder. Can be hacked to RECORD FTV/FTA channels. Examples appear on eBay from time to time - before Sky get them pulled. It's the only model that can be hacked.

This model has pause and record, but none of the on demand features.

Being an old design it's not too power hungry

The nice thing about Sky is the programme guide - easy to use.

There are loads of general satellite boxes available generally designed for multi-sat use, so they have DiSeq (Dish rotating capabilities) - ideal for lazy cruising boaters... Most have card slots but you need a special adaptor to use a Sky card and I think that component is either very expensive or just not available. The boxes are designed for worldwide use - the slot is for designed for other programme providers.

Having said that "Bigste" says he has the Sky package in a non sky box - so perhaps I'm not quite right. The question is "what Sky package? Sports, Films and all the extras". If so why doesn't he have a Sky+ HD box as it's free to subscribers.

Apart from Sky sports and films, most popular channels (BBC ITV, Four etc) are Free to VIew or even Free To Air and can be viewed / recorded by boxes such as Humax - one of which has all the whizzy options - but these need a fast internet connection.

Folks need to be aware of the potential pitfalls as the subject is quite convoluted.

Ok here is a few answers. I don't have a SKY+ box as they are only free if you have it plugged into a telephone line for the duration of the contract and I don't have a landline.

Yes it does fast forward and pause when playing back a recorded progam. Does it do that on live programs? I don't know I've never tried, it's not a facility that bothers me anyway.

No it doesn't need an expensive adaptor for the card. You put the card in the slot and enter some details in the box menu because as you may know, all sky cards are tied to a particular box. You therefore need the serial number of the original box the card was in so can input the number to this new box in order to fool the card into thinking it is still in the original box.

Under EU law sky have been told their cards must be available and able to work anywhere in the EU but they blatantly disregard that rule.

The package I have is the full monty, films, sports music, discovery etc

The only downside I find is the EPG, electronic program guide, only shows the next couple of programs for each channel. Obviously the guide and menu is different to the skybox but it is quite user friendly.

As for Pace being the only hacked model that is rubbish, there are hundreds. We live in an age when the Americans can put men on the moon, supposedly.

Edited by bigste