which dehumidifier for CC'er with no electric hook-up??

silverbuttocks

Featured Posts

We use the caravan type ones with crystals in. No power required an they work really well, so cheap too, we have 2 under our bed

This. We even have a bag-type one for the car (because our dog pants non stop when he's in there, he hates the car), it can be recharged in the microwave. It's very effective. My partner refers to it as the 'breath bag' :D

We have a Meaco electric one of modest size for when we leave the boat (on shore power). I reckon it uses about £3 per week of (marina-priced) electricity, which equates to about 200 AH per day. So I wouldn't comtemplate trying to do that off the batteries!

Good heating source such as a stove on all night, doors open to the bedroom, maybe a fan (not an ecofan) to help move the warm air into the bedroom, plus the passive crystals as mentioned before?

Oh, and if you stop breathing it gets much less damp since you are the primary source of the humidity!

Hi All,

Anyone out there got any advice on getting a small to medium size dehumidifier which is not too power hungry on our batteries?? we have an inverter by the way... we just want to use it for the bedroom at the cold end of our 63 foot NB...

As others have said - there is no such thing as an electric dehumidifier that you can run off your batteries/inverter unless you have a large battery bank and are prepared to recharge for many, many hours EVERY day.

Edited by Grace & Favour

Why would one need a dehumidifier? I have never has a problem with damp or condensation on any of the boats I've owned am I doing something wrong?

maybe you're not breathing enough?

we don't have problems in the rest of the boat, just at the cold end which is where we sleep (and breathe). we'll probably stick with using the crystal damp traps...

Why would one need a dehumidifier? I have never has a problem with damp or condensation on any of the boats I've owned am I doing something wrong?

You're obviously not breathing, Julian. Stop holding your breath when onboard.

Never get condensation in the bedroom mind you we have always had a hatch open above the bed to allow all the hot air to escape.

I guess as has always been said its down to decent ventilation.

Oh and all the windows are now double glazed.

Edited by Loddon

As others have said, cut down on the amount of water you release into the air, keep the temp up as warm air holds more moisture than cold air and good ventilation. One thing I did was fit a 12v extractor fan over our gas hob and remember to switch it on whenever water boiling takes place ie making a brew, boiling spuds etc.

Phil

We dont have a problem on ours either so we must be doing the same thing "wrong" rolleyes.gif

Perhaps its the hatch we leave open, or the windows......

Hi

In total agreement. Never have a problem. The best dehumidifier is a solid fuel stove. You do need some ventilation also but nowt else is needed.

Tim

Hi All,

Anyone out there got any advice on getting a small to medium size dehumidifier which is not too power hungry on our batteries?? we have an inverter by the way... we just want to use it for the bedroom at the cold end of our 63 foot NB...

In what way is there a problem? Windows and portholes tend to make good dehumidifiers! wacko.png

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

My home dehumidifier draws 200w all the time. so if you actually cruise you could run it while travelling. I use it to dry washing and it's lovely to have the clothes crisp and dry AND the house dry too especially in the winter. Maplin do on the says it's smaller and seems to draw less power but will move less moisture obviously.

If you are permanently moored then a refreshable crystals unit with indicating silica gel would be a better idea. Leave it in the bedroom to keep you dry, then put it in the oven for an hour to dry it out again. Silica gel is supposedly poisonous so pack it safely especially if there are children or animals.