Getting the best internet connection inside the boat

comfortably numb

Featured Posts

I can only get a decent signal on my laptop when sitting under the cratch. When inside the boat it is either non-existent or painfully slow. I'm after a decent extension lead for my dongle to be able reach the window so I can either hang it outside or attach it near to one. I know you can get cheap ones for a couple of quid but I don't think they're up to the job. I am on the 3 network with a HUAWEI dongle that fits into a USB port. I know the length and performance attributes of the cable are key to its success so I would be grateful for some advice, and possible links to where I can buy a decent one.

I have spent ages trying trying to find the answer on this forum but can't find anything relevant unless I've missed it if perhaps it's hidden away as part of another internet question and if that's the case I apologise for asking again.There were some from 2010 but the links to products available then are not any more.

Might be worth buying a WiFi dongle from 3, then you could get internet virtually anywhere throughout the boat.

Before I got the WiFi I had a USB one and just used a USB extension with no trouble at all.

Bob

I too am on the 3 network adn i have a 3 dongle for my laptop and luckily get a good signal. when ime on my boat i take my tablet thingy adn my huawei 3 modem thingy and can get good access.. hope this helps smile.png

edited: my lappy does work on the boat, but i find it too big to carry round at the mo so just take the tablet and the lickle black modem thingy.

Edited by tree

I have a Mi-Fi device and it hangs off a curtain rail in the window, this is good enough for 99% of the time. If signal's really poor (eg in a known signal blackspot area) I've gotten internet signal by wrapping it to the TV aerial, which can be extended about 5m into the air. Of course, I'd need to take the aerial down at the end of the day/night to get the thing back, wouldn't leave it out there overnight and its battery would be flat by morning anyway.

I can only get a decent signal on my laptop when sitting under the cratch. When inside the boat it is either non-existent or painfully slow. I'm after a decent extension lead for my dongle to be able reach the window so I can either hang it outside or attach it near to one. I know you can get cheap ones for a couple of quid but I don't think they're up to the job. I am on the 3 network with a HUAWEI dongle that fits into a USB port. I know the length and performance attributes of the cable are key to its success so I would be grateful for some advice, and possible links to where I can buy a decent one.

I have spent ages trying trying to find the answer on this forum but can't find anything relevant unless I've missed it if perhaps it's hidden away as part of another internet question and if that's the case I apologise for asking again.There were some from 2010 but the links to products available then are not any more.

Got the same dongle as you on 3 using it now. I just use a standard USB and dangle my dongle out of the window. Works a treat.

Another vote for the 3 MiFi unit which gives a reasonable connection most places if placed in the window. The main issue is the newer ones don't have an external aerial socket. I can recommend the Huawei 5332 MiFi unit which does have an external socket and connected to one of the 3G aerials from Connex Technologies (www.connextech.co.uk) I have found gives a good to excellent signal just about everywhere.

Another vote for the 3 MiFi unit which gives a reasonable connection most places if placed in the window. The main issue is the newer ones don't have an external aerial socket. I can recommend the Huawei 5332 MiFi unit which does have an external socket and connected to one of the 3G aerials from Connex Technologies (www.connextech.co.uk) I have found gives a good to excellent signal just about everywhere.

The new E5756 has an external socket. It's the Ultrafast MiFi which has only been available in the last week.

I use the latest 3 MiFi dongle which I bought 'one off' for £49.99...from 3..but you may get one on Ebay.

I have a 3 one-plan SIM in it...£18/month unlimited data...and rolling 30 day contract .

You get oodles of calls on this SIM ..and you are allowed tethering...so you could always use it in a tethered phone.

I like the dongle...as I put it into a sock...and tie it outside.

If you sign for a year..you can reduce the cost to £15/month.

The new dongles don't have the aerial..but they are faster...so its a trade-off really.

I use the latest 3 MiFi dongle which I bought 'one off' for £49.99...from 3..but you may get one on Ebay.

I have a 3 one-plan SIM in it...£18/month unlimited data...and rolling 30 day contract .

You get oodles of calls on this SIM ..and you are allowed tethering...so you could always use it in a tethered phone.

I like the dongle...as I put it into a sock...and tie it outside.

If you sign for a year..you can reduce the cost to £15/month.

The new dongles don't have the aerial..but they are faster...so its a trade-off really.

I've got a 2 year old 3 Mi Fi dongle with a 2 year contract for 15Gb per month at £18. I recently got a new phone with a 3 The One Plan Sim. The Sim won't work in the Mi Fi dongle, and 3s shop tell me it shouldn't work in the dongle as its not allowed - even though it's unlimited in a tethered phone.

Surprised yours is allowed, and works?

If you want to stick with the dongle but extend the cable, look for a USB extension cable that states '24AWG' in the description.

It may say 24/28AWG or 28/24AWG , that's fine as long as 24AWG is in there somewhere. That means it has a reasonably sized conductors for power, which the cheaper or unspecced ones often don't. Couple of examples:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GC1074-2-Metres-USB-2-0-A-M-A-F-BLACK-EXTENSION-CABLE-LEAD-/360674818359

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aptii-Extension-Lead-Cable-Male/dp/B005M1Q5BK

Also TPLink do a fairly cheap mini wifi router that takes SOME 3G dongles, it's essential to check on their site that the dongle and UK network are supported.

Beyond that it's the more expensive MiFis and smartphones with tethering, as others suggest.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

External aerial with a dongle or mifi/zoom router is the only way to go. think about it, how easy is it for a mobile phone signal to penetrate the steel tube that is a narrow boat???

Collect the signal outside feed it inside, very simple.

The new E5756 has an external socket. It's the Ultrafast MiFi which has only been available in the last week.

Again, many thanks to all of you for your advice. I have gone for this Ultrafast MiFi E5756 and it appears to be doing the job, although the real test will be when we go out cruising next month which will give us the chance to try it out in different locations.