IWA memo

jenlyn

Featured Posts

This from the iwa site

"IWA Calls For Action On 'Continuous Moorers'With the successful launch of Canal & River Trust, IWA has been reviewing its campaigning priorities. Whilst inclusion of the Environment Agency's navigations within CRT remains the top priority the issue of so called 'continuous moorers' is fast climbing IWA's priority action list.IWA is very supportive of those who wish to live aboard their boat, and indeed for those genuine continuous cruisers who travel the system in a progressive journey. However problems are caused when large numbers of live-aboard boaters without a home mooring wish, for whatever reason, to stay within a narrow geographic area. The problems had been exacerbated by years of enforcement neglect by British Waterways.A recent survey by BW indicated that over a six-month period around 1000 boats without a home mooring did not move more than 5km and a further 1000 boats not more than 10km.The situation in the London area and also at the west end of the Kennet & Avon canal is acute. IWA has now raised its concerns at the highest level within CRT. At a recent meeting with Sally Ash (CRT Head of Boating) these concerns were explored in detail together with her plans to tackle the situation. IWA is not alone in having concerns with other organisations, including the trade, demanding action"

The concern for me is the fact that 5 of the CaRT trustee council members are also IWA members and were actively nominated and supported during the election campaign.

I can not see them representing ALL boaters , rather that they will toe the party line and push the IWA focus through regardless.

There are FAR more serious issues to boaters, infrastructure, repairs (or lack of) and maintenance (or lack of). I am on me moby, but will post a piccy later of the repairs to the flood sluices at Barrow. Plywood and blue string are the solution!!

This from the iwa site

"IWA is not alone in having concerns with other organisations, including the trade, demanding action"

I like the catch all statement, who are "the trade" ? I does sound like Sally Cash has wound the IWA to deliver her message :o

There are FAR more serious issues to boaters, infrastructure, repairs (or lack of) and maintenance (or lack of). I am on me moby, but will post a piccy later of the repairs to the flood sluices at Barrow. Plywood and blue string are the solution!!

Totally agree.

The concern for me is the fact that 5 of the CaRT trustee council members are also IWA members and were actively nominated and supported during the election campaign.

I can not see them representing ALL boaters , rather that they will toe the party line and push the IWA focus through regardless.

Totally agree with you but these cost money and need skilled staff. Focussing on CM's is an easier target and is likely to generate a lot of hot air and policy documents leadng to yet another unenforceable strategy.

Who are the five then ?

I know three ......

Henderson, Caplan, Welch

who else, and by what route ?

Dunno but have known for some time that there's going to be a user group meeting regarding this issue, have been invited as a rep for Tottenham Boaters, as have quite a few cruisers.

I expect there will be some fireworks, but we've got to sit down and talk.

IWA have changed quite a bit haven't they? Am I right in thinking they fought for the rights of the boaters without moorings threatened with eviction in the 80's in Oxford and the agenda 21 moorings in Oxford were created because of that?

I am not sure the figures quoted are realistic or a true picture. I dont think fuzzy is too far off the truth with his joke. As for the IWA, perhaps Lady Muck should take a poo bag to the meeting and ask Clive Henderson to please clear up after himself.

I am not sure the figures quoted are realistic or a true picture. I dont think fuzzy is too far off the truth with his joke. As for the IWA, perhaps Lady Muck should take a poo bag to the meeting and ask Clive Henderson to please clear up after himself.

For what it is worth, Clive is to step down.

I note that CART has already made major changes to its licencing T&C's without any public consultation.

Fuzzy has it about right and puts it across in a humorous way.

I also note that some 15 months after BW were asked about Sally Ash receiving 'perks' (and a threat by the information commissioner to hold BW/CART in contempt of court for not responding) we are now told that she has been having free boating holidays provided by hire boat companies.

Another tossuer spouting hogwash. The situation on the Western Side of the K&A is 'acute'? If these people weren't being paid with our licence money, it could almost be funny. As usual, some twerp who has not been on the K&A regurgitates the old 'overcrowding ' tripe.

And maybe Sally wants to keep her powder dry. Her beloved hire boats seem to be down in numbers this year. Some companies over sensational discounts at the moment, to try and save some of the season. Some companies are offering three weeks for the price of two. That is a 30% discount...

Hirers have no vested interest, and will holiday elsewhere if either price, or the weather, are not to their liking. )

Those pesky liveaboards, who don't want to be hemmed in in a floati g caravan park, do have a vested interest. Try and work with them, instead of against them.

Unless, the idea of boats floating in the canal, is an abhorent afterthougth. (Unless it's one of Sally's own boats? :closedeyes:

Another tossuer spouting hogwash. The situation on the Western Side of the K&A is 'acute'? If these people weren't being paid with our licence money, it could almost be funny. As usual, some twerp who has not been on the K&A regurgitates the old 'overcrowding ' tripe.

And maybe Sally wants to keep her powder dry. Her beloved hire boats seem to be down in numbers this year. Some companies over sensational discounts at the moment, to try and save some of the season. Some companies are offering three weeks for the price of two. That is a 30% discount...

Hirers have no vested interest, and will holiday elsewhere if either price, or the weather, are not to their liking. )

Those pesky liveaboards, who don't want to be hemmed in in a floati g caravan park, do have a vested interest. Try and work with them, instead of against them.

Unless, the idea of boats floating in the canal, is an abhorent afterthougth. (Unless it's one of Sally's own boats? :closedeyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting comments all round and I've read them with an open mind. Now that the canals are run by a Trust, it is possible for 'ordinary' boaters to get actively involved in how the trust conducts its business. The SE region is to run open meetings in October, 18th at Barby and 24th at Tring. I'm attending Barby as it is within my 'radius of action' and it would make great sense if interested partied were to attend their local venue. I would not be going there to stir up shit, rather to to keep abreast of what is ACTUALLY happening rather than what is PRESUMED to be happening. It would also give a great excuse for a banter at a local hostelry or around a camp fire. Any takers or am I talking through my irish hole?