Quick question - tingly finger

Wild Is The Wind

Featured Posts

Yesterday when I turned my engine on I noticed my finger tingled and went a bit numb. I wasn't sure what it was at the time but back at the boat today and its happened again when I've turned the key so I think there might be a loose wire or something.

Its a cruiser stern with a column with a control panel and the dials and key switch under a lift up lid.

Can anyone tell me how serious this is? The boat is under warranty and I'm about to send an email - i'm guessing there must be a loose wire or connection in there.

Would be very grateful for any advice.

It could just be static electricity built up by your clothing which runs to earth when you touch the metal key. Try earthing on something else first like the brass hatch slide?

ETA I sometimes get it when playing with the aluminium aerial poles earthed by the brass ring tht holds them in place.

Edited by blodger

Yesterday when I turned my engine on I noticed my finger tingled and went a bit numb. I wasn't sure what it was at the time but back at the boat today and its happened again when I've turned the key so I think there might be a loose wire or something.

Its a cruiser stern with a column with a control panel and the dials and key switch under a lift up lid.

Can anyone tell me how serious this is? The boat is under warranty and I'm about to send an email - i'm guessing there must be a loose wire or connection in there.

Not sure..but I guess some of the ladies will soon PM you... :rolleyes:

It could just be static electricity built up by your clothing which runs to earth when you touch the metal key. Try earthing on something else first like the brass hatch slide?

ETA I sometimes get it when playing with the aluminium aerial poles earthed by the brass ring tht holds them in place.

Thanks, if it is that then much less of a worry. I guess having bare feet wouldn't help either :(

Do you have a 230 V mains connection, or an invertor which was switched on at the time?

Thank you all. Have asked for it to be checked urgently.

Good, and make sure whoever looks fixes it and doesn't fob you off with there is nothing wrong. When he leaves the boat he should be able to tell you what was wrong and you shouldn't feel a tingle.

Agreeing with this:

Good, and make sure whoever looks fixes it and doesn't fob you off with there is nothing wrong. When he leaves the boat he should be able to tell you what was wrong and you shouldn't feel a tingle.

Make him demonstrate how safe it is by wetting his hands (preferably with salt water) and his feet - barefoot of course - while he operates everything before he goes. During this demonstration you should of course be standing a safe distance away from him

The boat was checked on Saturday morning, including the wiring in the column, 230v system and the inverter. I've been told that it is a 12v static problem.

I'm deeply sceptical. There is no such thing as "12v static" electricity.

Whoever told you this is incompetent - in my personal opinion as a gas engineer... ;)

Mike

It most definitely is not static. Get your inverter installation checked NOW! and don't switch it on again until it's sorted.

The boat was checked on Saturday morning, including the wiring in the column, 230v system and the inverter. I've been told that it is a 12v static problem.

Gibbo really really knows what he's talking about! Please be careful and get it checked again.

When I theorised it could be static I meant that you were charged up by your clothing which was discharging when you touched bare metal, the ignition key, which was earthed. The check was to see if you got the tingly finger from touching elsewhere that was earthed first. If you get ringly finger each time you touch the ignition key then there is something amiss. I agree with others there is no such thing as 12v static. I think the engineer is implying it's only a 12v shock but you should not get one of them from the ignition switch :glare:

ETA If the boat is still under warranty perhaps it is worth suggesting a change of the ignition switch to see if the problem persists.

Edited by blodger

An inverter that was switched on at the time (3000w)

Whatever the problem is, and i agree, thoroughly checking the installation of your 230V system is an absolute must, operating the engine with a 3000W inverter switched on is not a great idea.

The change in voltage and its effect on the inverter load is at the very least placing unnecessary strain on the inverter.

Whatever the problem is, and i agree, thoroughly checking the installation of your 230V system is an absolute must, operating the engine with a 3000W inverter switched on is not a great idea.

The change in voltage and its effect on the inverter load is at the very least placing unnecessary strain on the inverter.

sorry Chris that just seems inaccurate to me, for several reasons...

surely it IS sensible to run the engine when a 3KW Inverter is switched on so as to save the batteries.

the change in voltage on the input should have NO effect on the output unless its a completely rubbish inverter and finally the slightly higher input voltage from a running engine alternator (compared to batteries) will reduce the input current significantly and make the inverter run more efficiently. Many inverters that I've used specifically refer to this in their instructions

to the OP I think I would switch of the inverter and disconnect any shore power and see if the 'tingle' is still there. At least then you would be sure it is from the DC system or if it goes then it must be AC related and potentially dangerous - therefore the builder needs to come back and sort out.

sorry Chris that just seems inaccurate to me, for several reasons...

surely it IS sensible to run the engine when a 3KW Inverter is switched on so as to save the batteries.

You misunderstand.

I don't think that the inverter should be switched on whilst the engine is being started.

I think all unnecessary loads should be off while the engine is started to reduce the chance of damage to those loads from start motor draw and alternator spikes.

This also applies to generators running chargers.

Of course it's a good idea to run an engine whilst taking high power loads from your inverter.

Edited by Chris Pink