London Underground Map

Burgiesburnin

Featured Posts

While the Underground Map is geographically very inacurate it does make very easy reading for trip planning.

Has anyone ever done a canal map in the same format and is there one available?

The Wikipedia waterways plans are very similar.

I haven't seen a countrywide map, in that sort of format but my Imray maps, whilst geographically correct(ish) are stripped of all other detail, for easy route planning...

That said I prefer to use the Nicholsons Map, with the waterways map overlaid on an OS road map, whilst on the move, because it gives a better idea of your surroundings.

Yes...tafkam did a great one, info here... http://www.canalworl...=1

edit to add the most up to date one that tafkam produced, after all corrections and suggestions....

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/2890/fullscalecanalmapplus.png

and the rings ....

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/9865/canalrings.png

all credit to tafkam, he did an amazing job...

and to Harry Beck too of course!

Edited by Chagall

If the Thames barrier busts,we'll be able to sail along a flooded Northern line, or sail the Circle Line ring.And winding at various locations,such as Aldgate east or Paddington.Need a good headlamp though and swot up on the signaling. bizzard.

If the Thames barrier busts,we'll be able to sail along a flooded Northern line, or sail the Circle Line ring.And winding at various locations,such as Aldgate east or Paddington.Need a good headlamp though and swot up on the signaling. bizzard.

Learning to breath underwater would be an advantage, too

Learning to breath underwater would be an advantage, too

And a submarine.No,why not wait for the water to subside to an acceptable level and then weir it.and you could have locks goin up and down,so one could visit other tunnels ie Bakerloo,Central ect all these come out into the daylight here and there too.

Those who cruise about on the Birmingham network would enjoy it.bizzard

Also,being as trains could'nt run down there anymore,why not string say half a dozen n/b's together like sausages,ones with side doors,and run a replacement service,could use the existing stations,platforms,everything,and earn a bob. ''The London watertube transport service'' bizzard.

• 1 month later...

I have produced a vector graphics version of Tafkan's map which means it is now fully scaleable to any size without becoming 'fuzzy round the edges'. He is happy for me to develop this further so if I can find some way of posting a pdf (or allowing access to it) I will do so and await a torrent of suggestions for alterations.

First of all, can I ask how this thread can be moved to a more suitable area. I can't see what it has to do with Boat Handling.

Secondly, I would greatly appreciate constructive input into developing this map. Distribution of the vector graphic image is a little problematic but for now I have uploaded a pdf file to my web-site here : http://www.waterwaysongs.co.uk/images/misc/Canal%20Map.pdf

Xtra : The image uploaded is clearest when viewed at 200% or above.

Edited by Bugsworth Tippler

First of all, can I ask how this thread can be moved to a more suitable area. I can't see what it has to do with Boat Handling.

Secondly, I would greatly appreciate constructive input into developing this map. Distribution of the vector graphic image is a little problematic but for now I have uploaded a pdf file to my web-site here : http://www.waterwaysongs.co.uk/images/misc/Canal%20Map.pdf

Xtra : The image uploaded is clearest when viewed at 200% or above.

The Bow Back Rivers are missing from London although at this scale they may require a detail map.

Tim

The Bow Back Rivers are missing from London although at this scale they may require a detail map.

Tim

There are no names at the junctions For the Market Weighton Canal and River Medway!

Excellent map BTW

Tim

I'm working on the Birmingham Canals and will post another version when they are added. In doing this I am becoming aware of just how much work was done by Tafkam and how much care taken to get it to its present state.

All credit to him.

When he first drew it up he showed it here at a fairly early stage. I remember he found the constructive feedback that he got helpful in how he went about the various iterations of the map. Perhaps we could help you with the BCN or Fens sections

Richard

I dont think you have the Grand Union out of Brentford correct. The Brentford Mainline travels essentially northwards, at right angles to the East-West line of the Thames. The Slough Branch Line is a westward turn off the mainline, not a linear continuation of the mainline.