Wifi Living aboard?

MunkeyBoy

Featured Posts

What are the practicalities of getting a free wifi spot on the canals or is it a case of having to go to a coffee bar or Mc Donalds?

Just get a bluddy dongle.....

Its really not difficult.... and does not have to be that costly if that is a concern.

ed to add . Anything less when boating really will be hit and miss and a dongle will mean a much more consistent signal. You can get then that will accept an external aerial to improve your chances of getting a signal, which some times can be an issue in a 'steel box'.

Edited by The Dog House

I thought BT did openzone that you can also pay for.

The thing is with MIFI is the data speed on uploads.

If I need to upload files to run my online business I need a decent data rate for large audio recordings,video files and images.

I dont mind paying thats not the issue really.

I will just need to plan where I can get wifi more than I realised by the look of things.

thanks.

I have countless pubs and other free wifi sites passwords stored in my lappy and phone. I might occasionally revisit to use again, however, in the meantime I have my own 3 phone which allows tethering.

(However, if you want to download 3 movies while having a meal, the Mill House in Braunston is unrestricted and can be accessed across the cuticecream.gif )

Edited by matty40s

Another vote for a Three MiFi thingy. Have travelled all over the UK in boat, car and train, and have never not been able to get a 3G signal.. It's 15 quid a month for 10Gb which is more than enough to watch iplayer every day, etcc.. My iPhone is on EE, and gets nowhere near as good reception as the MiFi thingy.. It's built with data in mind.. And must have a lot more antenna etc..

You could also get an antenna to boost your range. You can pick up BT Openzone in most places if you have a decent antenna.

True, I bought a WiFi booster and with it picked up Calcutt marina wifi while moored by The Bridge at Napton but didnt have a password. I manage to log on to BT in lots of places, some which I find surprising. Its on of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/321307486026?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

Yes, my cunning plan to skirt a ban was to create a new profile with the same name and avatar...

But dual ID's on here are not allowed - so why not just stick with your old one? - or ask the mods. to change your forum name/ID

Brilliant answer, just made me spit my tea all over my breakfast.

Well not really that brilliant - I've seen people be stupid enough in the past to try exactly that in forums.

Edited by The Dog House

There are no practicalities. You need your own. Three are very good with their MiFi stuff.

Not entirely true. I have been relying on Wifi whilst cruising for 18 months using an external long range WiFi device hooked into a wireless router within my boat. Pubs, Restaurants, Marina's and Hotels often offer free WiFi or use a provider such as The Cloud which offer free connection. If you happen to have BT or PlusNet as your household internet provider then its even easier. There are a multitude of households offering a BTFON/FON WiFi connection using their sharing scheme. Generally if you can see a group of houses you get a connection from one or the other - not always but more often than not.

When moored at Sherborne I found the 3 signal really bad. A friend lent me their T-mobile dongle as a test and it was massively better. So much so, that I went and bought a 4g ee (ee is an amalgamation of orange, t-mobile, and I think someone else, so their coverage is vastly improved now) wifi hotspot.

There were about three bt openzone hotsposts around Sherborne, but I think I was in the centre of a triangle created by them, so it would swap between hotspots and was consequently unusable.

Since leaving Brum, the ee connection has been great. Most places getting 4g or, at worst, decent 3g... Right up until arriving at the current location... ...where it struggles to get 2g. I am currently in-between Offchurch and Bascote villages, so pretty rural. Ironically my, normally rubbish, o2 phone has a stronger data signal at this location. I do feel strangely isolated when on the boat, no usable internet access and no nearby pub. If Stockton Locks weren't shut, I'd seriously consider moving. 1st world problems and all that.

If you'll be moving regularly and internet access is vital, don't rely on free hotspots. Get a wifi router which can accept external aerials and possibly have multiple contracts. I believe there is a device which can take several sims and uses whichever has the strongest signal. I don't know how much effect upload data transfers have on data allowances, however, most seem to have a 10gb or 15gb monthly limit.

Or, get a high gain wireless network adapter with external aerial and always moor near clusters of houses and get a BT openzone enabled account.

Rob