hurleston rebuild suspended

dor

Featured Posts

23 hours ago, reg said:

Be interested in others single handed technique for this lock.

That's the way I do it. I used to walk on the roof, now my knees aren't what they were it's easier to go through the boat.  As you say, sometimes the boat isn't where the ladder is any more.  There are a few locks like that round the system.

I still find Beeston Iron the hardest to do as there's no ladder at all.

28 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

That's the way I do it. I used to walk on the roof, now my knees aren't what they were it's easier to go through the boat.  As you say, sometimes the boat isn't where the ladder is any more.  There are a few locks like that round the system.

I still find Beeston Iron the hardest to do as there's no ladder at all.

Our boat was designed with steps from the rear deck (actually one plus a locker) specifically to make it better for those of us with less agile limbs still to access the roof during locking - at least for longer. More of a challenge when not in a lock, at least for those of us who need the comfort of something solid to use as a prop, not that I really need it. We keep a mop handy to help stabilize in these cases.

4 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I still  find Beeston Iron the hardest to do as there's no ladder at all.

Wonderful logic problem using boat hook and deft throwing of rope under bridge. 

Did it a couple of times but finally adopted a policy of hanging around until some kind person turned up to give a helping hand. 

Interesting lock though. 

17 hours ago, reg said:

Wonderful logic problem using boat hook and deft throwing of rope under bridge. 

Did it a couple of times but finally adopted a policy of hanging around until some kind person turned up to give a helping hand. 

Interesting lock though. 

How about a monkeys fist on the end of a line

I understand that the main reason for the delay is that they cannot easily bring heavy plant in due to a gas main

being too close to the surface of the track and the contractor (Land & Water,not Kier) is afraid of damage to same.

Do not take this as gospel,just what I have been told by people with more local knowledge than me !

I personally am very pleased that they have stopped the work, our boat club has an event at Wrenbury at Easter and after

the events of 2018 we were very concerned that the date of 29.3.2019 would not be met.