Pump out or Cassette?

Bojangles

Featured Posts

I've been lurking the forum for some time and got lots of useful info; thanks everybody.

We have now decided to have a narrowboat boat built for next Spring. We plan to live on it 9 months a year.

I can't make up my mind whether we should have a cassette toilet that needs carrying regularly, to dispose of the contents; we are both 65+. Or would it be better to have a pump out lu?

What do you think?

I've been lurking the forum for some time and got lots of useful info; thanks everybody.

We have now decided to have a narrowboat boat built for next Spring. We plan to live on it 9 months a year.

I can't make up my mind whether we should have a cassette toilet that needs carrying regularly, to dispose of the contents; we are both 65+. Or would it be better to have a pump out lu?

What do you think?

Personally it's down to the individual. Over the years I've had 6 boats and every one was a bucket and chuck it. My reasons being: -

* I don't like carrying around gallons of my own "ooh nasty" Often to be found stored in a tank under the bed.

* I object to paying through the nose to get rid of what didn't pass through my nose.

* Experience tells me that whichever side you put the pumpout you tie up with the other side against the bank.

* Walking along the towpath with a blue stained cassette makes others magically ignore you as well as getting immediately out of your way.

* I think I might be addicted to the smell of Elsan Blue

* I often come back from the disposal point with an extra key, often found on the windowsill

* It's free.

........................... however every time I struggle through the length of the boat with my cargo sloshing about, wondering if I can successfully negotiate the steps up to the deck without tripping over the dog I always wonder why I do this instead of plumping for a pump out!

What do you think?

Tis a religious thing...

Some are devout pumpout believers, who wouldn't want to actually get that up close and personal with the business end of things, and regard the whole thing as primitive and distasteful.

Others cannot abide the though of 200 gallons of nasty stuff sloshing around under the bed.

There is more chance of peace in Jerusalem than of convincing either side that they are wrong.

Personally, I'm a cassette man, and have a little wheeled trolley for occasions when the walk is a bit far.

There will be as many opinions on this as people.

Speaking as a cassette person, although the process of emptying the cassette is not at all unpleasant, they are damn heavy to carry any distance. Pump out seems to be the only reason many of the boats around me ever move, so that cant be a bad thing, reminds them why their home is thin and pointed at the ends! I guess many of them must get a bit worried whenever our pump out machine is broken - which happens a lot.

As a very loose generalisation I might say pump out is better suited to live-aboard because you can forget about it for longer intervals, while cassette is best for cruisers and movers, you can empty them in any drain or toilet, or even behind a hedge if you are really stuck - oops I didnt say that!

pump out for me, either vacuum of macerator, as you are building a new boat why not specify a larger than average tank say 100 gals therefore you wont need to empty so often

Charles

Why would you want 100 gals of the stuff sloshing about on board?

Sods law says that at some point you will get a leak on any system.

A leak on a system that holds 4 gallons is better than a leak on a system that holds 100 gallons!

"Why would you want 100 gals of the stuff sloshing about on board?"

To save you 40 trips to the Elsan Point? - just a thought!

Do you keep rubbish in an ever bigger bin on board rather than take it to the skip?

Personally, I'm aiming for a pump-out eventually, but just don't have the space/time/inclination to get it installed yet. I've gone for a Vacuflush Cassette system that weighs 15kg when full. Lasts me, alone, about four days. With two on board - a day and a half!

Speaking as a cassette person, although the process of emptying the cassette is not at all unpleasant, they are damn heavy to carry any distance.

Come on let's be honest, most of us even find the smell of our own macerated shit pretty bad, but whether you go for cassette or pump out that's just something you have to face.

I am a cassette person too. Having had both on different boats I find there are many advantages to a cassette: not having to pay ever inflated prices for pump outs and the ability to empty my cassettes even while cruising in winter when there may be lock stoppages, for example. This happened to me on a previous boat when I had a pump out and I had to go and buy a portapotti.

Yes full cassettes can be heavy, but you can put a cassette on a trolley, bicycle rack, or in a car. Try carrying your boat over three locks to the nearest elsan point.

Going back to the original question - Mr. Bojangles is +65 so he may (or may not) be as agile as he used to be and hoiking a full cassette might be difficult. Being of a more mature disposition he may also be less impetuous with his choice of mooring, possessing the foresight and wisdom to always be near a pump out when its needed, unlike these young tearaway cassette types!

Mr Bojangles

Welcome to the forum

As you can see there are many and varied opinions on most things on this forum.

I to am having a boat built, the set up will be to have both, the 'pans' will be situated either side of the bed, not literally

before someone gets their loo rolls in a twist.

(cross bed and it will save disturbing your partner for those night trips after to much beer :rolleyes: )

The position of the outlet for the 'pump out' will be on both sides then it does not matter which way the boat is facing when a pump out is required.

Edit: typo and spelling

Edited by bottle

We have a pump out, it doesn't smell unless it is nearly full, even then it doesn't smell of poo, just an odd sort of soupy smell, it lasts us about a week or so with 5 on board, I don't fancy the s**t suitcase malarky, but then I've not had one.

I could see how a cassette could be more convenient than looking for a pump out place providing you had a trolley.

Edited by allybsc

When boaters say they're 'bucket n' chuck it' types .... do they literally chuck it in the cut - the bushes - or over yobs?

..... and if caught, what is the penalty / punishment for the mucky buggers??

In order of preference:

1 Chuck it down the elsan point

2 If elsan point under maintenance, chuck it down BW toilet facility (happened last week at Bosley Top)

3 If yobs appear when sh*tcase is to hand, splash it all over accidentally-a-purpose (hasn't happened yet).

All sorts of very expensive penalties under Control of Pollution Act, not to mention any number of BW bylaws, for improper disposal. You can always carry a spare cassette, though.

To answer original question - cassette for cruising (free to get rid of it). I'm not qualified to comment for liveaboards.

Ian

Pump outs are a bit more civilised, and I have yet to find a pumpout station where the hose won't reach the other side of the boat.

But going for both is a good idea. You'll be glad of it if you get stranded by stoppages and can't get to the pumpout.

Edited by Breals

Thankyou all for your very diverse, informative and often amusing comments. They have helped us make up our minds.

I think for us WJM clarified our situation.

Going back to the original question - Mr. Bojangles is +65 so he may (or may not) be as agile as he used to be and hoiking a full cassette might be difficult. Being of a more mature disposition he may also be less impetuous with his choice of mooring, possessing the foresight and wisdom to always be near a pump out when its needed, unlike these young tearaway cassette types!

We hope not to get frozen in etc. Our three months ' not at home' we hope to be winter sunning it. I also agree, unfortunately being impetuous was many moons ago. As any weather gets really bad etc we'll probably head towards a marina'.

Considering all your comments we've decided to go for a pump out, probably accessed from either side. Perhaps a porta-potti as well, just in case we feel like playing at being young tearaways.

Thankyou all for your help.

Edited by Bojangles

Considering all your comments we've decided to go for a pump out, probably accessed from either side. Perhaps a porta-potti as well, just in case we feel like playing at being young tearaways.

Just got to decide on the type of toilet now. dump through/macerator/vacuum. :rolleyes:

We have a macerator and a biggish tank at 75-80 gall (standard plastic ones are around 40) it is located under the bow deck with the water tank(lovely). Our pump out connection is on the roof at the front of the boat so we can always get at it. We recently lived aboard for over 6 months and the tank lasted around 4 or 5 weeks between pump-outs(2 adults). Which at £15 a go works out at around £3 a week, I don't buy this waste of money theory and can't understand people who spend fortunes on boats yet carry suitcases of sewage about, especially other peoples sewage.

One thing that does help is a tank contents gauge.

Just got to decide on the type of toilet now. dump through/macerator/vacuum. :rolleyes:

We have a macerator and a biggish tank at 75-80 gall (standard plastic ones are around 40) it is located under the bow deck with the water tank(lovely). Our pump out connection is on the roof at the front of the boat so we can always get at it. We recently lived aboard for over 6 months and the tank lasted around 4 or 5 weeks between pump-outs(2 adults). Which at £15 a go works out at around £3 a week, I don't buy this waste of money theory and can't understand people who spend fortunes on boats yet carry suitcases of sewage about, especially other peoples sewage.

One thing that does help is a tank contents gauge.

Hi David & Julie,

Your system sounds like a good idea.

My concern is when both tanks in the bows are full does it not pull the bows down too much? We are planning a 55ft N/b, what size is yours; boat of course ;) ? .

Which is the best tank gauge and where do you buy it please?

Thanks Mr Bojangles

Edited by Bojangles

Hi David & Julie,

Your system sounds like a good idea.

My concern is when both tanks in the bows are full does it not pull the bows down too much? We are planning a 55ft N/b, what size is yours; boat of course :rolleyes: ? .

Which is the best tank gauge and where do you buy it please?

Thanks Mr Bojangles

Have replied by PM.