Pump out or Cassette?

Bojangles

Featured Posts

You could do what we do. We have two pump out toilets (depending on number of persons on board). 2 pumps out toilets each on 250 litre waste storage tanks (under beds of course), and we need not pump out any more than once every six weeks which is pretty good is you equal use both loo's so you don't 'list' when you are getting full.

And we have a cassette porta potti loo for emergencies should a pump out be unavailable which cost £40 and it's kept in the top box on the roof 'just in case'.

Edited to say (that way you cover your ar$e in every sense of the word)

Edited by StoneHenge

I prefere the turd briefcase variety myself. The long stroll to the elsan point and the flushing ceremony gives plenty of time for contemplation of lifes values and....my god did i really eat that?

The only downside imo is that the seats could be a little more comfortable for those with extra to spare in the botty department. After all, a mans toilet is his Library. One has to stay there long enough to read at least one chapter of your current book :rolleyes:

"I wonder what the chances are of someone one day inventing a miniature sewerage treatment plant ... that can maybe be in a little tow along butty..... selling the end product to gardeners alo"

Its been done - Composting Toilets I think they are called. Very green - ugg!

Its been done - Composting Toilets I think they are called. Very green - ugg!

I've seen items on the telly about them, but not on a boat or caravan .... seems that once the sawdust is thrown on/down. they're not smelly at all.

keeping to the loo theme .... did anyone see 'Top Gear In The Pole' the other night ?

May was on the thunder box at the rear of the vehicle - and Clarkson drove off with him still perched on it! :rolleyes:

Reading all the comments about pump-out toilets leaking / going wrong has worried me! :) (my boat has a pump-out toilet) Does that happen often???

Dont think it goes wrong too often shaz, i think most of the going wrong bits are down to non consumed items finding their way into the system which then causes the blockage. as for leaks well no sysetm of pipework is foolproof so an annual check of the piping and fixings is always a good idea. even cassette toilets can bite back. i pushed down onthe old pump thing on a thetford once and got a spray of blue right up the sleeve.

This is a good one for the I know best brigade to get involved in airing their views.

The thing is it really comes down to choice.

All of our boats have pump outs fitted as standard.

But we have just fitted a cassette on one at the customers request instead.

From my view I would consider this a bad move in a changing market pump outs (Like them or not!) are becoming the "norm" on new boats and are nigh on impossible to retro fit. So the lack of one on a new especially residential boat if it was to come back onto the market might have an adverse effect on the boats value.

A bit of info on the options HERE it's a bit out of date now with the advent of the vacuum cassette systems that do sit somewhere in between the other standards all be it at a price.

Edited by Gary Peacock

"I don't buy this waste of money theory and can't understand people who spend fortunes on boats yet carry suitcases of sewage about, especially other peoples sewage."

I don't think anybody theorised that a pump out was a waste of money, but it undoubtedly costs more money than emptying a cassette - that's just a fact. Perhaps by the same token you should ask yourself why would anyone want to spend fortunes on a boat and then use that boat as a storage facility for large quantities of sewage - especially other people's sewage?

So, shit suitcase or turd tank? It's a personal choice but please don't try to convince me that one is more pleasant than the other - I've had both. I got a reminder of the pump out palava the other day when I helped someone move their boat over to the elsan point. Not nice at all and I know which system I'd rather have. I'm not reliant on the pump out which at our mooring seems to malfunction every couple of weeks, and if for some reason I can't start my engine at least I can still have a crap and my boat isn't stunk out for days on end. Some of my fellow moorers have had to either hold it in or go elsewhere.

Edited by blackrose

Just curious Blackrose. If you were cruising most of the time, like the OP, would you still choose the cassette?As I previously wrote, we last for about 4 or 5 weeks between pump outs, in all honesty, by then we usually need diesel anyway and the pump out is just done at the same time.

"I don't buy this waste of money theory and can't understand people who spend fortunes on boats yet carry suitcases of sewage about, especially other peoples sewage."I don't think anybody theorised that a pump out was a waste of money, but it undoubtedly costs more money than emptying a cassette - that's just a fact. Perhaps by the same token you should ask yourself why would anyone want to spend fortunes on a boat and then use that boat as a storage facility for large quantities of sewage - especially other people's sewage? So, shit suitcase or turd tank? It's a personal choice but please don't try to convince me that one is more pleasant than the other - I've had both. I got a reminder of the pump out palava the other day when I helped someone move their boat over to the elsan point. Not nice at all and I know which system I'd rather have. At least I'm not reliant on someone else's machinery (our pump out seems to malfunction every couple of weeks), and if for some reason I can't start my engine at least I can still have a crap and my boat isn't stunk out for days on end. Some of my fellow moorers have not been so fortunate...
Some edit that Blackrose your post doubled in length. :)

Now tell me Blackrose what value did your language add to the discussion?

Edited by david and julie

Just curious Blackrose. If you were cruising most of the time, like the OP, would you still choose the cassette?

Yes, I would, especially if I were cruising in winter and had to deal with lock stoppages.

Now tell me Blackrose what value did your language add to the discussion?

I'm sorry if my language offends your delicate sensibilities, but if you go over the thread again you'll find I wasn't the first to introduce at least one of those expressions to the discussion. Since we're talking faeces I don't see what difference it makes - turds, crap, No.2s - it's all shit.

Edited by blackrose

Yes, I would, especially if I were cruising in winter and had to deal with lock stoppages.

I'm sorry if my language offends your delicate sensibilities, but if you go over the thread again you'll find I wasn't the first to introduce at least one of those expressions to the discussion. Since we're talking faeces I don't see what difference it makes - turds, crap, No.2s - it's all shit.

It makes no difference who was the first and I don't have delicate sensibilities either. I asked you what your use such langauge added to the discussion and your reply answers my question.

As to people "holding it in" they are pathetic. It's also pathetic that someone needed you to help them move their boat at their home mooring,Indeed it sounds as if pathetic may be contagious where you moor.

"I don't buy this waste of money theory and can't understand people who spend fortunes on boats yet carry suitcases of sewage about, especially other peoples sewage."

Some of my fellow moorers have had to either hold it in or go elsewhere.

Is this also classed as a stoppage? :)

Edited by saltysplash

So what it comes down to, is do you pay someone £15 a pop to pump the stuff away, or do you dispose of it yourself every day or few, for free?

On the basis that the free jobbie (har har) might be an excuse for a 2-hour jolly down the cut, when the memsahib just wants to sit and knit in the sunshine, isn't it a no-brainer?

Ian

It makes no difference who was the first and I don't have delicate sensibilities either. I asked you what your use such langauge added to the discussion and your reply answers my question.

As to people "holding it in" they are pathetic. It's also pathetic that someone needed you to help them move their boat at their home mooring,Indeed it sounds as if pathetic may be contagious where you moor.

:) I think someone's taking themself far too seriously. We're just talking about toilets, not the political situation in the Middle East!

I will use whatever language I wish to use in any discussion without having to justify it to you. By the same token, what value have your rantings added to the discussion?

Perhaps you should try to concentrate on the original topic. I haven't set out to offend you so why you decide to take offence really baffles me. Perhaps you just don't like people who disagree with you. That's the nature of the forum - get used to it. I'm afraid anyone who can't take a difference of opinion about boat equipment without resorting to insults is the truly pathetic one!

Also nobody "needed" me to help them move their boat, I never said that. The guy happens to be a friend and I helped him move his boat over to the pump out because I was chatting to him as he was moving his boat. Is that ok with you?

Edited by blackrose

:) I think someone's taking themself far too seriously. We're just talking about toilets, not the political situation in the Middle East!

I will use whatever language I wish to use in any discussion without your permission or having to justify it to you, thank you very much. I haven't set out to offend you so why you decide to take offence really baffles me. Perhaps you just don't like people who disagree with you. That's the nature of the forum - get used to it. I'm afraid anyone who can't take a difference of opinion about boat equipment without throwing personal insults around is the pathetic one!

Also nobody "needed" me to help them move their boat, I never said that. The guy happens to be a friend and I helped him move his boat over to the pump out because I was chatting to him as he was moving his boat. Is that ok with you?

I find it hard, indeed I find it very hard, to lower myself to your level. But as you have tried to needle me (on many occasions) I am prepared to have a drive to wherever you are moored and sort this out face to face.

PM me.

Edited by david and julie

I find it hard, indeed I find it very hard, to lower myself to your level. But as you have tried to needle me (on many occasions) I am prepared to have a drive to wherever you are moored and sort this out face to face.

PM me.

David, Julie, whoever you are... Can you please show me where in this discussion (or any other), you think I have tried to needle you?

You made a point about my language in a discussion in which other contributors had previously used the same or similar words & phrases. I wondered why you had singled me out and picked me up on this and so I made a comment about your sensibilities because I honestly don't know anyone who would be concerned about the use of such words in a discussion about toilets. You then suggested that I and my fellow moorers are pathetic.

I'm left puzzled as to where all this anger is coming from? :) As far as I am concerned I have NEVER intentionally tried to needle you and I was completely unaware that we'd had any problem prior to this. If this has been your perception then I'm sorry but perhaps it's just a clash of personalities. You've taken a dislike to me - fine - I can live with that. However, if you are continually getting the needle then maybe you need to lighten up a bit.

Can I ask what you mean by "sort this out face to face" exactly? :wub:

Edited to say: Regarding your PM sent to me: I'm not sure if you're threatening me or if you just want to talk. Either way, I'm sorry but I really have no desire to meet you. Just look at what you are saying. If you are prepared to drive across the country to have some sort of face to face confrontation then this is getting completely ridiculous.

An unbiased opinion from anyone else on the forum would be appreciated here, and if it turns out I'm in the wrong then I'll PM you to apologise - I can't say fairer than that.

In the meantime, since I seem to be getting on your nerves, I'll make sure not to directly reply to any of the posts you submit on any subject on the forum, and I'd appreciate it if you'd extend me the same courtesy.

Mike

Edited by blackrose