Installing a stove from scratch...

golden_chapati

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, BWM said:

Genuine rockwool insulation should never wick water, although some cheaper alternatives might. 

But unlike sprayfoam won't form a natural vapour seal to prevent condensation forming on the inside of the hull.

I'm not sure you will find spray foam in that many boats for sale at around the £25K price point.

It tends to be in newer / more expensive ones.h

For what it is worth, I think Rockwool is very much preferable to polystyrene slab sheet, and more often than not it is one if these two options you find in older / cheaper boats.

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, cuthound said:

But unlike sprayfoam won't form a natural vapour seal to prevent condensation forming on the inside of the hull.

Definitely not, and there are certainly more efficient insulation materials available now. Saying that, i've yet to see a cabin rust out from the inside without other aggravating factors. A big plus for rockwool  on older craft is that it is safer for welding repairs carried out without an interior strip out, including early spray foam.

Looks a bit like my boat, except mine is a 55ft 6 berther with the escape hatch on the right hand side.  I honestly don't get the snobbery about ex-Canaltime boats.  I absolutely love mine, though admittedly I have had a few mechanical problems along the way.  But who hasn't, eh?.  The side escape doors mentioned also have a hatch in the roof which opens to provide a space big enough for my narrow, fit frame to squeeze through if I need to escape when in the lock, though what I'll be doing in the bedroom when I should be on deck or on the lockside, god only knows!  I accept that not everyone is as skinny or as agile as me.  Horses for courses.

I too have been planning to fit a stove.  My plan is to rip out the central cabin with the 2 single berths, and the second smaller toilet - I don't need 2.  My intention is to place the stove, port side, just astern of where the toilet presently is.  I will try to fit a double sofa bed so that my central bedroom becomes a lounge and the stove will be well placed to heat the boat fore and aft.  I'll lose some under-bed storage that way, but I think the boat will look better for it.

And hopefully my ex-Canaltime boat will last me for many years.

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/01/2019 at 15:17, golden_chapati said:

Since you've all had a look at it; it seems like a decent boat no? Most boats I've looked at in the 25k range are from the eighties or early ninties. 

It looks good to me, and I quite like the layout, personal preferences. Subject to survey not showing any issues. Could you put the stove opposite the sink drainer? If that wouldn't make it uncomfortably warm using the sink?

6 hours ago, Jonkx said:

It looks good to me, and I quite like the layout, personal preferences. Subject to survey not showing any issues. Could you put the stove opposite the sink drainer? If that wouldn't make it uncomfortably warm using the sink?

Yes it would..... Nice and toasty when you're doing the dishes... Not to mention cooking the fridge as well - which will increase your electrical use.

It would be better (but not very practical) if you moved the sink over to the other side and put the stove where the sink was - that is if you're not afraid of doing a bit of plumbing - many folks are...

FWIW we hired a 45 footer from Teddesley many years ago with a stove sandwiched in at the end of the kitchen area - I was grateful that it was in the summer.......