Copper piping turned silver

bigcol

Featured Posts

21 minutes ago, bigcol said:

Hi Bizzard

thinking about it radios on most of the day

bed lights on in evening

and fan on all night.

then on this particular day, my wife and I had to go to the doctors early morning,  so all was off, accept radio, was away 2 hours, and reentered the boat to this smell.

what flipping gets me is why didn’t I take notice of the lcd indicator on 12v outlet panel.

it was oh fcuk it, electrics working nothing to worry about.

been living on this boat for 2 months now.

So installing banner equaliser to 2 battery’s until I get the the other 2 sorted or exchanged replaced

col

I asked because, years ago when batteries had exposed cell connecting bars on top we often tapped off 6v from 12v batteries, but not for very long though, and they always gradually recovered and equalized when charging after a while.  You've given up the electric eel;s then.

Years ago I had an old 1954 Standard Utility 8 car with a 12v battery. It had no wireless so I fitted a 6v one from a Ford V8 Pilot I think it was and tapped 6v off the battery for it.

Edited by bizzard

Sorry to nag but that connection diagram in post 103 HAS to be wrong, there are red wires on negative terminals and black wires on positive terminals.

Unless I am now addled as well as drunk, 48 v is coming of that stack if the connections are to be believed.

The diagram is wrong!!! Add up the battery voltage as you go through the connections and you will see what I mean.

I’m no a electrician, but really forget the Colour of the cables,

they will just confuse it all.

in fact maybe should all be in one colour.

i say this because this has caused me to get confused.

the battery monitor does read 27.2 at moment

Just now, Boater Sam said:

Where I am its 21:38. Yes, we had a tremor, not unusual out here  on the rim of fire.

No - I'm talking about the BIG one 28th / 29th December. (Magnitude 7.0 off the South coast, it was even felt in the USA)

Son & Wife have just come back (She is a flipper) and they were with her parents & family for the holidays.

26 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

I give up, if no one else can see it I must be the only idiot on here, goodnight.

Lol. Please don’t if you got time do a drawing based on mine and show me where you think I’ve gone wrong please??

col

31 minutes ago, bigcol said:

Lol. Please don’t if you got time do a drawing based on mine and show me where you think I’ve gone wrong please??

col

You haven’t gone wrong Col, it’s just Sam. 

On the right hand side you have two batteries in series. On the left hand side you have two batteries in series. The positive of the right hand pair is connected to the positive of the left hand pair. The negative of the right hand pair is connected to the negative of the left hand pair. It’s s standard series/parallel arrangement giving 24V. 

Youve just written in the + and - wrong on the right hand pair. 

Thanks all

ive numbered the battery's

ive disconected the 12 volt cables

battery 1 and 2 connected on boat

battery 3 was at 11.2 put it on charge this morning now reading 12.4

battery 4 was 13v  connected to charger,still to wait for charging I guess to see what this brings.

col

ps haven’t connected banner vanner  yet 

as disconected 12 volt cable

Edited by bigcol

Yes, its just me but please don't connect the new batteries using that drawing, there will be big sparks.

Sober now and had a long sleep, the right hand pair of batteries are the wrong way round.

It always been just me, nobody listens to me, the world misunderstands me. 

I AM NOT PARANOID.

At least I wasn't before I joined this forum.

Sam {ME}

Battery 1,  13.1 volt confected boat victron showing float black ?

battery 2   12.9 volt connected boatvictron showing float  green

Battery 3.  15.6v connected to charger  Disconected 13.4v. Green

battery 4   13.9v connected to charger  disconected 12.5v. Black ?

Boat 12v wire feed cables were disconected on boat battery's

screen on batterys blk means need charging

ive edited twice because not sure if the black is not white trying to download photos

many thanks

col

Edited by bigcol

7 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Looks like battery 4 has had it. Can you borrow a 12V charger to charge them individually? You’re harming the one that was at 15.6V by having it in series with the duff one. 

Hi 

Both Batterys3 and 4 are out the engine bay completely,off the system, got a independent battery charger

both batterys have been charged separately.

batterys 1 and 2 are the only ones still in the system

1 hour ago, bigcol said:

Hi 

Both Batterys3 and 4 are out the engine bay completely,off the system, got a independent battery charger

both batterys have been charged separately.

batterys 1 and 2 are the only ones still in the system

Ahh, ok. In that case, keep batt 4 connected to the charger for a while to see if the voltage creeps up. DO keep a close eye on it though and if it starts to get uncomfortably hot disconnect it and accept that it’s dead. Likewise if the voltage doesn’t rise on charge after a couple of hours disconnect it and accept that it’s dead. 

1 hour ago, bigcol said:

They appear ok. Keep an eye on those voltages as you don’t want to see them differ by much more than that. Ignore the tell-tale, they’re useless as others have said. 

1 hour ago, bigcol said:

Battery 3.  15.6v connected to charger  Disconected 13.4v. Green

battery 4   13.9v connected to charger  disconected 12.5v. Black ?

Boat 12v wire feed cables were disconected on boat battery's

screen on batterys blk means need charging

ive edited twice because not sure if the black is not white trying to download photos

many thanks

col

Are you still referring to the magic eyes?

If so black may not mean needs charging unless you have checked the electrolyte level and topped any up to the correct level that require it. They may well mean that the batteries have vented water as hydrogen and oxygen so now need topping up.

Sorry to be blunt but you have been told these eyes are pretty much useless so stop paying any attention to them. Doing so is only likely to confuse the issues.

I am with Wotever on what to do.

This will I’ll come out as a bit of a cheek, and appreciate I be getting free info

but would anyone please explain or draw where I should be connecting the vanner equaliser. As per my diagram

yes I’ve read the installation guilde, theirs only 3 terminals on the thing but I’m easily confused with their drawings

so far though it appears I’ve been lucky regards to the battery’s, unless somone warns be as I’m still in contact with battery megastore

Okay both battery’s OFF the bank

battery 3 and 4 ate showing green? And at 13.1 and 13 volts this morning

batterys STILL connected to boat bank

battery 1 still on bank 13.2v and battery 2 12.8v

nasa battery monitor reads 26.5 v and full bars

i hope this thread over the coming years can prove very helpfull to others

thankyou all

02301DBD-4A76-4217-9B1D-5AA6F36CEAC7.jpeg

472AB6AB-1DD2-469C-8B05-4C64AEAF8214.png

24E73852-7A68-47FF-9F8F-3C66611F90FE.png

67D188BF-42FB-4A1E-BED4-536AA8A78DA1.png

Col. Look at that first diagram. Batteries A and B are your batteries 1 and 2. Don’t think about batteries 3 and 4 at this stage, they’re not wired in anyway. 

Now does it make sense?

Okay  so 12v terminal gos to positive battery 1/A

24v terminal gos to positive battery 2/b

grnd terminal gos to battery A/1 earth,negative terminal

am I getting you right?

thankyou

col

Put 12v leads on now

Battery 1 in bank is proberly is the faulty one, it’s now dropped to 11.6 

this one has the 13v radio positive going to it

battery 2 is 14.2 and has the eberspacher and 12v lights and 12v toilet connected

20 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

For a start you need to make sure your batteries are connected like this, I hope they are and you have drawn it wrong. the right hand 2 batteries

Capture.JPG

Thankyou Ditchcrawler Yes apologies yes I did draw it down wrong!!

its wired as you’ve corrected drawing. Thankyou for putting this right. So SAM,  I and other members didn’t notice, sorrrreeeee