Historic stuff, includes Gardners HMS Medusa

LadyG

Featured Posts

16 minutes ago, Athy said:

Fascinating viewing.

I agree - the role played by Medusa is out of all proportion to its small size! Imagine the grandstand view she had while the invasion fleet steamed past and thank goodness that the visibility stayed reasonably clear, otherwise there might have been a different outcome. 

Another small vessel that played a key role was a midget submarine - an X craft normally manned by a crew of 5 but with a couple more for this event. She acted as a radio beacon in the approach lane to a forward position off the beaches and went across to be ready initially for the planned date of 5th June. When this date was postponed for 24 hours, she submerged and spent the time sitting on the sea bed just off the beaches. Brave men, and we owe them a debt of gratitude which we should never forget.

Howard

• Greenie 2

You know, when I was at school I dropped history because it was of no interest to me [a theme running through my early academic days].

But there are so many exciting documentaries, We are very lucky to have these free resources. Reminds me, I need to pop a few more $ in to the adblock site.  

6 minutes ago, davidb said:

Fabulous find. I think British midget submarines had a Gardner in them as well. 

Yes, the lightweight 4LK which, I think, was developed for that specific job (someone will soon tell me if it wasn't).

Now there's a bloke who is a national treasure. I think he's still with us. Wonder if he's ever been considered for a decoration? Listening to the radio the other day to Sir Rod Stewart and thinking Why? Whats he done to deserve it? Think I'll start a campaign for Sir Tom Cunliffe.

Now that was an excellent representation of a truly outstanding tale and a fabulous restoration project!  It took me 3 or 4 days to watch it in bite size pieces as I'm a bit snowed under, but I'm glad a kept revisiting to see it all. Thanks for posting. :)

Edited by Sea Dog
Autocorrect error
  • Happy 1