Sea water levels

GUMPY

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, Onionman said:

Before about ten thousand years ago, the conveyor used to stop regularly and there were swings in average European temperatures of 10deg C or so on a regular (couple of thousand year or so) basis. There's a good reason to believe that the stable nature of climate since then (due to a historically unusual stability in the North Atlantic Conveyor) allowed the growth of farming and civilisation in Northern Europe.

In short, it's normal behaviour for the Gulf Stream to collapse regularly - we live in an unusually stable time. And climate change runs a small risk of tipping us back into instability.

Yep, that's the way I see it, although the risk may not be as low as you think. My guess is we are heading for some colder weather.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Yep, that's the way I see it, although the risk may not be as low as you think. My guess is we are heading for some colder weather.

I can remember when I was younger the experts(?) were forcasting an ice age. ?

That was before they realised that global warming was more lucrative.

Edited by artleknock
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

I agree, was outside in a t shirt today when filling the water tank up,  bound to get a frost this week, or next.......

• Greenie 1

On 27/11/2018 at 12:18, KevMc said:

But they keep telling us the solution is simple ...stop burning carbon!

Or more accurately, everybody else to stop burning carbon. The little bit I burn makes no difference. Me stopping will make no difference. The problem is the carbon all the rest of the world burns. They should stop it. 

Trouble is, all of them other peoples think like me. 

• Greenie 2

5 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Or more accurately, everybody else to stop burning carbon. The little bit I burn makes no difference. Me stopping will make no difference. The problem is the carbon all the rest of the world burns. They should stop it. 

Trouble is, all of them other peoples think like me. 

Same as those wonderful buses everyone should be using -- so that I can drive my car into town. 

On 27/11/2018 at 09:30, Machpoint005 said:

Excellent link, thanks for finding it.

It seems that humanity divides itself into two camps:

(1) Accept the huge consensus of expert opinion, and each work out how to do their bit;

(2) Reject expert opinion because they don't want it to be true.

Don't confuse him with facts, whatever you do. It doesn't work for religious adherents, so why would it work for climate change deniers?

Category error

1 hour ago, Machpoint005 said:

Same as those wonderful buses everyone should be using -- so that I can drive my car into town. 

Yes exactly that. And it is a problem for which I can envisage no solution. 

Ok we all might cut down on our 'carbon footprint' a bit but with UK population spiralling, that will soon get cancelled out by the 3% a year increase in our population so more people are the burning the stuff. And the same applies worldwide I suspect. 

We should be forecasting what will actually happen and plan to mitigate the effects, rather than doing all this pointless hand-wringing about how everyone else needs to stop burning carbon. 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
Spelling!

22 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

Fewer pedants, less pedantry

... And along trots the Lesser peDant to point out what most of us already knew. My post was like a joke, only smaller. 

• Haha 3