Internet antenna advice

Matt&Jo

Featured Posts

Hi all...

We are looking for an antenna we can mount on the boat that will allow us to boost mobile phone internet signal and or multiple network device signals. Does this exist or do we need to get a wifi unit that we hook up to? If so either or what antenna.....dont want to pay silly money... 

5 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

Hi all...

We are looking for an antenna we can mount on the boat that will allow us to boost mobile phone internet signal and or multiple network device signals. Does this exist or do we need to get a wifi unit that we hook up to? If so either or what antenna.....dont want to pay silly money... 

It’s best to get a unit that’s able to take external antennas.  You can improve a mobile phone signal by placing in window or outside.

https://www.solwise.co.uk/ seem to have some solutions.

Edited by Robbo

25 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

Hi all...

There are such devices for boosting a mobile signal, but beware as many are illegal to use in the U.K. even though it is not illegal to buy or own them. Ofcom have recently changed their regulations in respect of these, but the type, and rules governing there use are fairly restrictive. You would probably get away with using them, provided you did not cause any interference to others which would be investigated. The problem is, you may not know if the device you are using is causing such interference.

• Happy 1

53 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

Hi all...

Some locations have poor signals and no amount of gizmos will improve that.

Many locations will benefit from using a MiFi  unit placed strategically in a window or cratch - but there MUST be a reasonable strength from your supplier in the first case.

FWIW I use a simple whip aerial connected to the MiFi inside the boat. In reasonable signal strength areas I've tried this TYPE

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4G-LTE-Wall-Mount-Panel-TS9-Antenna-for-4G-LTE-Mobile-WiFi-Router-Hotspot-MiFi/292764793955?hash=item442a243c63:g:SkAAAOSwA-NbvVyg

but I found one a lot cheaper on eBay locally.

Neither will perform magic - just increase the signal strength a bit

Say the area where you cruise might help a tad...

2 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Just get yourself a decent antenna ....or dual antenna from solwise. We have never failed to get a 4G signal.

Seconded.  Putting a phone in a steel box half submerged in water is a cruel thing to do to your poor Internet signal. 

At least give it a fighting chance with external aerials! 

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

I use one of these on a pole attached to a Teltonika router.Previously used a Huawei Mifi (much cheaper option). Obviously for mobile broadband, not phone signal improvement.

4g-xpol-a0001-1.jpg

Ditto for the aerial :) from Solwise. I use a Netgear Mifi, having gone off the Huawei brand due to sim cards getting stuck in them, and one of the aerial connections coming off after only a couple of uses.

5 hours ago, rusty69 said:

I use one of these on a pole attached to a Teltonika router.Previously used a Huawei Mifi (much cheaper option). Obviously for mobile broadband, not phone signal improvement.

4g-xpol-a0001-1.jpg

You've not knicked mine have you? ......Oh no, you're ok,  it's still at the top of its pole.

That's the one to get.

• Haha 1